Low Thunderbolt 4G Speeds

geoff5093

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this? Yesterday I went into the Verizon store and ran a speedtest using a Bionic, Charge, Droid 4, Nexus, RAZR, RAZR MAXX, and all of them were getting 25-30Mbps download, however I ran it on my Thunderbolt several times and I was getting around 6-10Mbps. I'm curious if it's all Thunderbolt's or just mine, as I'm rooted running a custom ROM and kernel.

When I first got my Thunderbolt and went down to Boston where they had 4G, I was getting 30Mbps+, but I recall that being an issue with the speedtest app.

pogibry

Reaction score
have you updated to the newest radio? It might be just me but even though I love custom roms, I seem to get the best overall experience with the stock, rooted roms.

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
have you updated to the newest radio? It might be just me but even though I love custom roms, I seem to get the best overall experience with the stock, rooted roms.
I do have the latest radio, but I have experienced the same thing you have. I was running a CM7-based ROM for a while and my speeds were around 2-6Mbps, but with a Sense 2.1 ROM I was able to get the 6-12Mbps speeds.

kparks

Reaction score
geoff5093 said:
I do have the latest radio, but I have experienced the same thing you have. I was running a CM7-based ROM for a while and my speeds were around 2-6Mbps, but with a Sense 2.1 ROM I was able to get the 6-12Mbps speeds.

Yup same thing Idk when I first got it I was pushing 30mb now I only get like 4 or 5 and my coworkers razr gets like 16

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
Yup same thing Idk when I first got it I was pushing 30mb now I only get like 4 or 5 and my coworkers razr gets like 16
Same. I was getting 20-30Mbps when I first got it and 4G was just introduced.

kparks

Reaction score
geoff5093 said:
Same. I was getting 20-30Mbps when I first got it and 4G was just introduced.

But my data does not seem any slower so maybe it's wrong.. and right now this is the best phone I've ever owned it always has service and works perfect

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I was in a 4G area last week, and speed test.net reported no more than 5 mbps down, meanwhile last June I was pulling upwards of 29 mbps

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Highest I've ever gotten on my RAZR was 16 download. That was in Little Rock, Arkansas. Usually I'm around 8-10 in Arkansas and Texas where I've tested. This is really low compared to y'all...

kparks

Reaction score
brad92 said:
Highest I've ever gotten on my RAZR was 16 download. That was in Little Rock, Arkansas. Usually I'm around 8-10 in Arkansas and Texas where I've tested. This is really low compared to y'all...

Everything is slower in Texas.... W8 that's not right lol

pogibry

Reaction score
I say (my $.05) if you are getting between 5-12mbps, you are getting the best you can because if there are a ton of people using it, of course you'll get slow speeds. If nobody is on, you'll get insane speeds. It's also hard to compare our phone to the newer ones because they are a lot more optimized for web performance with their hardware when compared to ours. The TBolt is still a slick phone, but it's aging pretty fast :'(

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
I say (my $.05) if you are getting between 5-12mbps, you are getting the best you can because if there are a ton of people using it, of course you'll get slow speeds. If nobody is on, you'll get insane speeds. It's also hard to compare our phone to the newer ones because they are a lot more optimized for web performance with their hardware when compared to ours. The TBolt is still a slick phone, but it's aging pretty fast :'(
Network load is irrelevant as both phones are side by side and tested at the same time, I'm also using a speedtest app and not a webpage so it's not web performance. The only reasoning I can see is that it's because of the new radios. I just wanted to see if it was only an issue with my Thunderbolt, or everyones.

pogibry

Reaction score
If it is a radio issue, am I safe to assume that those other phones are using different equipment for their radios? If that's the case, then their radio equipment might be better. If it's not the case, then crap, I'm outta ideas.... :blink:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my tbolt did have slower 4g speed than my bionic does .. of course tbolt had 4g where bionic does not :/

kohl6189

Reaction score
I have noticed this for about a week or so I live in Pittsburgh with 4g almost everywhere unless I'm running Wifi my speeds are very slow