Thunderbolt to recieve ICS

programmer112

Reaction score
So i am growing ever more concerned about the thunderbolt ever recieving ICS. i know htc has promised us a date of july/august but we are getting towards the end of july and we havn't heard a peep from HTC or Verizon on the update. every day that goes by i grow a little more concerned about this... what are your guys' thoughts on this? anyone else concerned as much as i am?

rbw62

Reaction score
I seen an update from HTC on web, saying TB to recieve ICS in August.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So i am growing ever more concerned about the thunderbolt ever recieving ICS. i know htc has promised us a date of july/august but we are getting towards the end of july and we havn't heard a peep from HTC or Verizon on the update. every day that goes by i grow a little more concerned about this... what are your guys' thoughts on this? anyone else concerned as much as i am?

Well from what i've read they scrapped the update for the HTC desire HD, which is the same specs as the thunderbolt pretty much. Most are speculating that since no news has come out about the update for thunderbolt that it will too unfortunately get the same fate as the HTC desire HD and be told that it will no longer be getting the update. This is not confirmed one way or the other since HTC has not made any official announcements about it. :angry:

JRParsons

Reaction score
programmer112 said:
you got any proof to back this statement up?

If you Google "HTC ics update" the list of devices that will receive ics and when they will receive it comes up. The latest official word from HTC (late may) says August.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding any hope for the TB myself. It's been too long since we heard anything from HTC about it.

j00jitsu

Reaction score
I'll be somewhat surprised if we do get the update, but I did find this on Verizon's support Site. Could just be a typical software update, but you never know...

ForumRunner_20120727_130050.png

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you got any proof to back this statement up?

It was a statement that was made late may about the updates to devices, HTC even has a website up stating which phones will NOT be getting 4.0. Android 4.0 Update Frequently Asked Questions- HTC Support Center That was the statement from HTC. The thunderbolt is not listed as of yet which means as far as we know, the update is still a go, but as i pointed out in my previous post on here that they pretty much already cancelled the update for the HTC desire HD which is almost the same insides as the thunderbolt, their reason for cancelling it was due to overall quality of ICS on the device. If a phone with the same processor and same 768 MB Ram inside is not getting it due to quality issues... i doubt we will get it either for the same issue.

neckbreak

Reaction score
I doubt we'll get. This phone has been a disgrace. HTC sucked the big one when they put this phone out. I've had it since it came out. Nothing by problems, had it replaced 4 times. Thank god I get a new upgrade next month.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt we'll get. This phone has been a disgrace. HTC sucked the big one when they put this phone out. I've had it since it came out. Nothing by problems, had it replaced 4 times. Thank god I get a new upgrade next month.
I got my phone on day 1, and still have the original phone. It has done me well.

Kabel_Guy

Reaction score
Vulcan1600 said:
I got my phone on day 1, and still have the original phone. It has done me well.

Agreed. My wife and I both have had this phone from day 1. Aside from rebooting issue (which was minor for us) and just learning the ins and outs of the phone (probably most important) no issues.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
the desire hd has insufficient internal storage to run an ICS build - this was the reason stated by htc why the upgrade was abandoned for that device. The thunderbolt has way more storage and can easily host at least a limited version of ICS, although I would worry about the bloat sense will add on top of that.

In any case, try not to speculate. If our upgrade will get canceled as well, htc will announce it officially.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

armeddroid

Reaction score
Agreed. Wait for the official word. When they announced the Desire HD they updated their page and crossed it out.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the desire hd has insufficient internal storage to run an ICS build - this was the reason stated by htc why the upgrade was abandoned for that device. The thunderbolt has way more storage and can easily host at least a limited version of ICS, although I would worry about the bloat sense will add on top of that.

In any case, try not to speculate. If our upgrade will get canceled as well, htc will announce it officially.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

It was actually both reasons, people would have to do advanced partitioning of the device, which most common users couldn't do... and once HTC did this and tested ICS on the device, they said it performed badly.

jladeau

Reaction score
Old News

I'll be somewhat surprised if we do get the update, but I did find this on Verizon's support Site. Could just be a typical software update, but you never know...

View attachment 53656

If you click the next "Software Update" link, this is still referring to the last update that we've already gotten. Even this link hasn't been updated.