Thunderbolt vs fascinate

n660623x

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading to the thunderbolt from my fascinate for a few reasons...1. Thelack of support for new android oses as they surface and 2. The terrible reception I get with the radio and the gps. What can u all tell me as far as these issues go with the thunderbolt if u already own one? I know htc supports their products pretty well. Im not too concerned about battery life as I have chargers everywhere, but a little curious about that too. So guys what input do u have for me?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't have a thunderbolt (yet) but want to know the same as you as the tb will most likely be my next phone but i want to wait to hear about the bionic once that releases first

jr313

Reaction score
I came from a fascinate myself and would never look back..i luv my TB i personally havent had any problems and battery life is good wit the kernel im using..IMO HTC makes the best phones ive had a G1, D1 which was a beast in its time and is still the most customizable phone but the LAST MOTO ill ever use , the fascinate, .and also Droid inc i always end up back wit HTC

Sent from the phone that makes all other phones bow down

OP
N

n660623x

Reaction score
Ive had htc phones in the past and they were windows mobile...i hated them...but I have a feeling my problems were all windows related and that android on these phones would b much better.

jogutier

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading to the thunderbolt from my fascinate for a few reasons...1. Thelack of support for new android oses as they surface and 2. The terrible reception I get with the radio and the gps. What can u all tell me as far as these issues go with the thunderbolt if u already own one? I know htc supports their products pretty well. Im not too concerned about battery life as I have chargers everywhere, but a little curious about that too. So guys what input do u have for me?

I also came from an Fascinate, and would not look back. The Thunderbolt is freaken awesome. :icon_ banana:dancedroid Not to mention the speeds you get from 4G, but the 4.3 screen is a big difference to me and without a doubt having 2.2 instead of 2.1 is a big deal maker for me. I did root my Fascinate, but never was completely happy with it. The only thing I really like about being rooted was the free wireless tether. :icon_ banana:dancedroid but other than that. :mad: I made the change to the Thunderbolt and never once thought I made a wrong dicision. hope this helps. :)

OP
N

n660623x

Reaction score
A lot of people complain about battery life...but I only get 6 to 7 hrs out of my fascinate now...so I think battery life cant be too bad...and I live in a 4g area so I should notice a big difference in speed right?

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
HTC ThunderBolt

I purchased my ThunderBolt on 3/25/11 and I love it, despite I have yet to hook onto the 4G network. We just do not have it in my home area, yet. It's coming to Hagerstown, MD, 8 miles to my South, later this year.

Background: I got my TB when I signed on with Verizon, coming from being with T-Mobile for about 7 years; last phone - HTC HD2 USA. Although a Windows Mobile 6.5, it was just excellent.

Android 2.2.1 is on TB and it is my first time using any Android OS. Very user friendly and easy to add apps. Battery life is OK; I figure it will parallel the HD2; HD2 had rather poor battery life until 2 months of use AND TMO/HTC system upgrade. At that time, it added about 4 hours battery life, from 4-6 hours combo of standby and usage up to 6-10 hours of same usage. IMO, I expect the same of the TB when Android 2.3 is released for the TB.

My opinion on "to buy or not to buy" is this:
1. Research phone
2. compare to your current
3. if YOU think it's worth getting, do it; but whatever you choose, make sure you have few to zero regrets. I chose TB and have zero regrets.

jogutier

Reaction score
Battery life of the Thunderbolt to fascinate is not a huge diff. I notice very similar battery life in the thunderbolt vs. The fascinate and I have a lot more widgets set up on my thunderbolt. The really biggest diff I have experience was the size n weight. But I'm over that now. If u have not experience 4g yet wow. Its like being on my home computer. I get roughly 10mbps down n about 3 up. Its pretty sweet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
N

n660623x

Reaction score
Im not terribly concerned w size...bdcause if I want a bigger screen that def means siz e is going to be bigger, but when u say weight...how much difference in weight? I dont find the fascinate particularly weighty, but is the thunderbolt like a brick in your pocket or what?

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
size/weight

Im not terribly concerned w size...bdcause if I want a bigger screen that def means siz e is going to be bigger, but when u say weight...how much difference in weight? I dont find the fascinate particularly weighty, but is the thunderbolt like a brick in your pocket or what?

I didn't have a Fascinate to compare size/weight, but it is a great combo of size vs weight IMO. I was with T-Mobile recently until I switched; HD2 was needing replaced; one option was Samsung Galaxy S 4G, I thought it was too lightweight for me.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love my rooted voodoo fascinate. Superfast, on froyo, 15hrs battery with ec10 kernel, stable, gps works fine with Superclean 2.9.2. Slim and lightweight. Tb has more ram and 4g. Going to take a slim phone with 1g+ of ram and a dual core that is not moto, to switch for me.

Sent from my fascinate

x25064

Reaction score
My girlfriend got the TB on launch day, this is what I have observed so far:

pros:
-4G is obviously blazing fast
-New version of HTC sense is flawless
-fast boot (not supported by all apps)
-solid phone, you won't smash this one
-gorilla glass screen (unlike the dinc)
-Large size makes for a pleasant user experience
-same snappy processor we are used to with the dinc and evo

Cons:
-HORRENDOUS battery life. Despite what others may tell you about it, if you are a moderate to heavy user, the battery life is absolutely terrible. She is lucky to get 4-5 hours out of it. This can somewhat be circumvented by shutting the mobile data (LTE/EVDO) off using a widget. Don't plan to play games and be on Facebook all day with this one, it simply won't happen. Also it is impossible to switch 3G or 4G off seperately so your phone will drain your battery switching between the two constantly.
-On her phone it has the same slow GPS issue as the Fascinate does now.
-Phone runs HOT. As hot as my OG droid does running a 1.1 ghz kernel.
-The phone is technically already outdated tech. Its a rebranded EVO, which has already been out for close to a year now. Newer phones will be out VERY soon if you can just hold out a bit longer.

My personal opinion? Its not for me. I need a phone that will at least last me a shift at work or a day of classes, and this phone absolutely will not unless you barely use it. It certainly isn't worth getting a phone that is so multimedia capable but can't truly harness this due to extremely poor battery life.

SquintyOS

Reaction score
-The phone is technically already outdated tech. Its a rebranded EVO, which has already been out for close to a year now. Newer phones will be out VERY soon if you can just hold out a bit longer.

Technically it 's the CDMA varation of something newer than the EVO. It's based off the Desire HD which was the concept after the EVO.

But, my first ever Android OS phone had to be the Motorola DROID. I switched to a Pro last December, wanting to play around with form factors. After 2-3 months, WAS gonna purchase the ThunderBolt in February but since it was pushed back, I decided to get the DROID Incredible since I never had an HTC device before.

Now.. A liked the openness of the DROID and when I had the pro, I missed it. While on the Pro I kind of noticed the lack of support Motorola had with the deice and decided to jump ship. I jumped to the Incredible just to tread the water. With the Pro, typing was rather cramped as the smaller size. Because of this, I missed the DROID but was concerned with Motorola's (lack of) support for some of its devices. I devided to switch to the Incredible for 14 days while waiting for the Bolt. I the device so much I kept it when I bought the TBolt.

In my opinion, the ThunderBolt is a very well developed phone. HTC did the right thing of pushing it back to work on the problem. I live in a 3g area which will see LTE at the end of the year so I haven't really got to test the speeds out. As for battery life, I can get a good 12-15 hours on good days and 7-8 on not-so-good days depending on my usage. As a college student, I use it as a computer as well as an organizer as well as a normal mobile phone. I plan to get the Incredible 2 at full retail but use that as my world phone/back up phone instead.

Sorry for the long post. i love the phone!

OP
N

n660623x

Reaction score
Stelv...thats what im thinking about, that maybe I should wait for dual core phones later this year.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its up to you, but I would probably wait for dual core or at least more ram. Tb looks like a nice phone but doesn't look that much of a step up from the fascinate. Also htc said only dual core phones would get the next version of sense 3.0

Sent from my fascinate