Thunderbolt car dock mode.

loonie01

Reaction score
Trying to figure something out here. I just picked up the TB a couple days ago. I have an after market car dock. When I had my DX I was able tape a magnet onto it to access the car dock mode. I know the TB car dock mode does not activate by magnets. Do any of you guru's out there know any way to get this to work. I'm trying to do this without buying the OEM car dock. They just don't fit that well when you have a 3rd party case on the phone. I appreciate it in advance.

dark juggalo

Reaction score
I've heard it has to do with the little tabs on the dock port pluggin..I've compared the dock(verizon) one to the charging one and there is a noticable difference between them,the dock has smaller,almost nonexistant ones.I would bet that if I was to file the ones on my charging pluggin off it would make my TB think it's in a car dock.

stuigi

Reaction score
i dont think it has to do withe tabs. I bought the tb car dock and found that the tabs made removing the phone very difficult. I ended up grinding them off and it still works fine. I heard that it is a resistor value between 2 of the usb contacts that triggers the mode