Thoughts on Google Navigation.

otaku

Reaction score
I know Navigation and Google Maps are separate, but I wish I could have a "3D" view in maps like in Navigation and have it auto-center on my car so I could drive around and check out the map, without having to program in a destination. I love this about my Garmin.

You can do that... and essentially Google Maps and NAvigations are one in the same.

I think the App is great and seeing that it is still beta, I think it will only get better, can't beat that it's free as apposed to VZNavigator on other phones which IMO sucks...

But how do you do what I asked for? In the Maps app, there is no "3D" view that I can find and it does not track me (ie, when I move off the map screen, the map screen does not move).

I seem to remember on my BB the old Google Maps app had a "track me" function, but I can't find that in the Droid.

D

DroidMastar

By 3D view I assumed you meant Satellite view where you can see the actual geographical view right?
Maps>Press Menu Button>Layers>select satellite
You should see the maps app in satelite view... if you don't see the big blue indicator light press menu button and press My location, this will center you over your location(lil blue indicator) and when you walk/drive it will move accordingly. :D

Use Zoom as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

otaku

Reaction score
By 3D view I assumed you meant Satellite view where you can see the actual geographical view right?
Maps>Press Menu Button>Layers>select satellite
You should see the maps app in satelite view... if you don't see the big blue indicator light press menu button and press My location, this will center you over your location(lil blue indicator) and when you walk/drive it will move accordingly. :D

In GPS parlance, "3D" view means being on an angle to the horizon so you really only see what's ahead of you. Think of what the default view on a Garmin is. This is not a top-down view like Google Maps allows. The Navigation app shows this 3D view, but from what I understand you cannot get the 3D view in maps (I think I saw a Google developer on a blog somewhere asked this question and his response was no).

As far as tracking, I will try specifically selecting my location. I turn on the Latitudes layer and it centers on my current location, but I still "drive off" the map and the map never re-centers.

BigTex71

Reaction score
I would like to see Google add your current speed and the current speed limit for the road you are on. That is one thing I truly miss from my Garmin.

cpubugs

Reaction score
In comparison to what I was using VZNavigator it has some greats and not so greats... But it is Beta, so hopefully they will adjust things and pay attention to requests. First, and maybe I am missing it is the lack of a "save" function, so I can save my home address or work address etc... 2nd the fact that the GPS function is Dependant on Cell signal is a bit distressing... Because to me I would assume that it's not GPS at all but tracked via Cell towers. Which leads to some discrepancies..

otaku

Reaction score
Reliance on cell signal is due to the fact the maps are stored "in the cloud" and are downloaded from Google. But the Nav app should download maps for your whole route when you begin navigating, so if you get a call or enter a dead zone, you should still see the maps you need. Now of course if you get re-routed, I'm sure it has to re-download the maps...

But that is a great point about Nav begin beta. I wish Google had a good place for us to give them comments on our thoughts on the beta. I've checked the Google boards and the only thing I've found is the Google Maps Mobile board where the Navigation announcement was made by an employee named Thom. He said you can post replies to his question with bug reports and gave a link to post suggestions.

Here's the link to Thom's post:

New! Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android OS 2.0 - Google Mobile Help

If anyone knows of anywhere else to report this stuff to Google, please share.

otaku

Reaction score
BTW, this is where I found Thom saying 3D view was available only in the Navigation app and apparently only while navigating:

A final note: the 3D/oblique/perspective view can be accessed only though Google Maps Navigation at this time. Similarly, the "Gas Station/ATM/Restaurant" layers act as a sort of bookmark in Google Maps Navigation. When you select one of these layers, it searches for businesses that match your selection along your route, whereas if you search for "Restaurants","ATMs", etc. in Google Maps for mobile, you'll receive results prioritized by distance from your location (among other factors).

As you can see also, he clearly differentiates between Google Maps Navigation and Google Maps for mobile, even though it looks like they are almost the same app.

eric777

Reaction score
Is there a Marine navigation package with charts on the horizon?

omnibus

Reaction score
On a planned trip from Gillette, WY to Phoenix AZ area the directions given by MS streets & trips are nearly 200 miles shorter.

Is there a way to edit the Google results by using "via's"

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
One thing that I did not like about navigator is that it does not automatically dim the screen at night. When it gets dark bright screen is becoming annoying very quickly.

On a contrary – I like how it changing scale depending on your speed.

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
On a planned trip from Gillette, WY to Phoenix AZ area the directions given by MS streets & trips are nearly 200 miles shorter.

What Google really should do is to allow you to plot the route in Google maps (where you can drag it around every which way you want), save it and then retrieve it from the phone.

That would be awesome…

:)

appirishmen

Reaction score
ive used the nav once. it did eat my battery and i dont have a dock so i just held it in my lab. it worked really well. took me right to my apartment. i was in a building at school today and the GPS MY Location thing was off. but other than that it has been on the spot.

another thing. the best thing is, this is only the beta version. i cant wait until the update comes out!

Last edited:

otaku

Reaction score

What Google really should do is to allow you to plot the route in Google maps (where you can drag it around every which way you want), save it and then retrieve it from the phone.

That would be awesome…

:)

I can already do this on my Garmin nav unit using MSN Direct (which is going away in 2012, like the rest of the world), but it only works using Bing :icon_evil:

The feature is awesome and I'd hope Google adds it.

Reaction score
When I use the GPS Nav feature on the phone my car/blue arrow always seems to be at the bottom of the screen, is there a way for it to be centered on the screen, I think the GPS units I have from TomTom and Navigon do this, also can you zoom in more on the roads so the names are easier to see? When I use the zoom button then the movement for the arrow seems to get jerky and not smooth.