Those with Google Voice in which way do you text?

searayman

Reaction score
I am just curios how all those with google voice numbers which of the many methods do you use for texting? From what I know I know these ways to text with google voice:

1. From the Google Voice app
2. From texts forwarded to gmail
3. using 406 numbers
4. From the mobile google voice website

if there are others please share, I used to use the google voice app and unlike others i thought i got the texts fairly quick but now there seems to be a pretty big delay. Could be my rom i use or idk but it seems to have slowed down getting texts through the app so now I am usign 406 numbers.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
3 (with Handcent) & 4. I just don't want to deal with the delays of the GV app.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
the 406 works good but i hat having two sets of numbers for each contact and having to use another method for the initial text message to a contact to obtain their 406 number....

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I prefer the email route... for starters now I don't have to have the GV app 'checking' for messages every so often. I have GV forward all my txts to my email so I get them instantly and just respond in my email app (currently k-9). This way it stays threaded (at least 'in' gmail, though k-9 doesn't display the threads correct, the default app does).

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
Any reason why you don't use the default gmail app and use k9 instead?

sneaky_zekey

Reaction score
i never even used my google voice,i got the invite a long time ago when i had the iphone, i just text threw handcent.

Guchi

Reaction score
i use handcent with vzw sms. i dont like the GV for anything but email

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you don't use the default gmail app and use k9 instead?

k-9 gives more control/options for fowarding and replying and has not length limit for the signature (gmail app won't (or at least didn't) allow for a confidentiality statement). Also there was no way to turn the threading/tabbing off which made sorting through a conversation a bit of a PIA. If they fix those issues I'd consider going back.

JoeeDB

Reaction score
I use handcent & just add a 406 # to each contact that i text often. I used the GV app for a few weeks but just couldn't stand it anymore so I had to go back to handcent and just add a new number.

JRFogarty

Reaction score
I just use the GV app for no other reason than I have not looked into and tried the other methods.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use GV for VM only....

CBLJazz

Reaction score
i use handcent for sms/ mms and gv for a free visual voice mail app.

i don't use gv for calls or even give out the #- only free vvm

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on where I am and what I'm doing. If I'm at home by my computer I use the web page. If I'm somewhere else with my Droid, I use the GV app.

So I couldn't really vote in your poll.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use Gtalk if I can, but if the person on the other end doesn't have it then I use the app. It needs a faster refresh rate then 5 minutes.