Those of you who had to return a broken Droid...?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
what happens after the thirty days?? I have the full verizon warrenty. Also what happens if you damage or lose it?? how much for the replacement with the warrenty?

Supposedly Verizon warranties the phone for 1-yr. The "30-day" is more for you contract that the phone. I know AT&T (even with their ***ty) Customer Service would replace a defective device up to a year from when you got the device (so an exchange resets the timer, least on AT&T).

As for the warranty replacement it appears Verizon just raised the deductable on the Droid to $89. Don't be surprised if it goes up again (AT&T charges $100-$150 for 'smartphones'). In addition replacement phones can (and will once there are enough) be Refurbs NOT new phones.

brandyrich

Reaction score
Only problem i had with mine was a bad battery. Charge would drain in less than half a day and then would take over 5 hours to charge. Verizon sent me a new battery right away no questions asked. All was well. I am now having a problem with the GPS not putting me in the right location but it seemed to have fixed itself. Not sure why it was happening though.

_atlas

Reaction score
I need your guys' opinion on whether or not I should return my phone for a new one. I'm still under my 30 grace period, btw. The first issue I had was the phone completely shut off and I had to do a battery pull to get it to turn on. That caused my camera to stop working, so I had to do a factory reset. Now my text messages are being displayed incorrectly. It will show my brothers name and contact photo but the threaded messages are actually from a friend. So I don't know who I'm actually sending my text message to. I'd have to delete the thread and star over.

I'm just concerned that this is a software issue and might be fixed in the update coming at the end of the january. So even if I were to get a new phone, there might be a chance I'd have the same exact issues.

What do you guys think?

rastephens

Reaction score
I'm on my second one, the flash on my camera didn't work properly. It would light up to focus, but then go off and not flash when it took the picture. New one works great.

The dan

Reaction score
Ok here it is this mourning i dropped my droid in the toilet it was in there for a split second b4 i grabbed it out i quickly removed the battery and card and stuck it in a bag of rice. So after about a day i took it out shook it to make sure all the water was out put back the battery and card and went to turn it on and all i got was a solid turquoise light with my home buttons lit up nothing else works. I am under my 30 days grace period but I dont know if i have the insurance and the water damage stickers are actvated what should i do?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok here it is this mourning i dropped my droid in the toilet it was in there for a split second b4 i grabbed it out i quickly removed the battery and card and stuck it in a bag of rice. So after about a day i took it out shook it to make sure all the water was out put back the battery and card and went to turn it on and all i got was a solid turquoise light with my home buttons lit up nothing else works. I am under my 30 days grace period but I dont know if i have the insurance and the water damage stickers are actvated what should i do?

WOW, sorry but I think you're screwed. With those water damage stickers activated insurance will not cover it. It's in the 'fine print' in the insurance. For some reason you can throw you phone against the wall and they cover it, but drop it in a puddle during the storm and you're screwed, never made sense to me. Further if you do call insurance and send it in (i.e. try to pass it) when they discover it you will get billed for the FULL MSRP of the phone.

There is a 'supplemental' insurance that covers water damage. Would say go to Verizon and activate that insurance and then wait a few days to collect on it. Only thing I can think of. Well that or 'cancel' you contract since you in the grace period and they reactive in a month or so. But I think you'll still have to pay for the phone because when you cancel they take the phones and charge you a 'restock' fee for working phone.

T

Toxik916

You can say your phone was stolen. I dropped my dare in my pool and used that excuse and I only had to pay the insurance price for a new one.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can say your phone was stolen. I dropped my dare in my pool and used that excuse and I only had to pay the insurance price for a new one.

Last I heard to file a stolen claim you needed to have a police report number (i.e. had to actually file a report). But might be worth a shot.

Reaction score
You can say it flew off your dashboard and out your window while making a turn on a busy intersection, then it got ran over a few times, and you didn't want to risk your life to get it realizing it was ruined.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can say it flew off your dashboard and out your window while making a turn on a busy intersection, then it got ran over a few times, and you didn't want to risk your life to get it realizing it was ruined.

ROFL, let me know if that works. Would be a great way to get a new phone w/o having to return the old one.

pntr2001

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd phone in just under two weeks. First phone the keyboard on the screen wasn't working right, it wouldn't type w/o banging on the screen. Called 611 and they sent me out another phone. 2nd phone, I put on the cover and slid the screen open to access the keyboard and the delete button and backspace button tore off, didn't even make a phone call with it yet,called 611 and they said they would send me another one or I could go to the store and they would put comments on my account about the problem. I went to the store and they replaced after looking at what the cover did to the keys. I like the phone but not too sure about the quality and durability. That has me concerned. The battery life really sucks, so I think I need a extra battery

shuggy

Reaction score
the first one i had kept resetting randomly. it did it right after i left the store, during dinner, but i didn't realize it at the time. just thought it was starting up or something. then in the next 24 hours, it would randomly shut off or restart during some applications or while just sitting there, probably around 30 times throughout the day. i got a new one and haven't had a problem since.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd phone in just under two weeks. First phone the keyboard on the screen wasn't working right, it wouldn't type w/o banging on the screen. Called 611 and they sent me out another phone. 2nd phone, I put on the cover and slid the screen open to access the keyboard and the delete button and backspace button tore off, didn't even make a phone call with it yet,called 611 and they said they would send me another one or I could go to the store and they would put comments on my account about the problem. I went to the store and they replaced after looking at what the cover did to the keys. I like the phone but not too sure about the quality and durability. That has me concerned. The battery life really sucks, so I think I need a extra battery

The battery life will get better. I was rather POd the first few days with the battery life but now I easily go a full day (6am - 1am) w/o having to charge. My last WM phones did the same thing. There is something in the OS that either limits or drains the batter until it gets used to your use (I wouldn't be surprised if this was on purpose to condition the battery after shipping).

What kind of case are you using?? That last one sounded more like the cases fault than the phones.