Wifi connects, then doesn't work

Tuxgirl

Reaction score
On my droid x, I can connect to or home network, and it appears to connect fine. The phone shouted up in the dhcp client list on the router, and seems to be fine on that front. However, if I try to do anything requiring network in the phone, it fails. I can't load any websites in the browser, etc.

I contacted verizon, and they offered a refurb, but I an hesitant. My phone is less than a month old, and haas ghost armour on it already. Also, from my googling, I'm not convinced that thus is a hardware issue. It seems purple have had it on a few phones, and I don't want to switch to a return, just to find that it doesn't fix the problem (out that I have other problems).

Do, if you had this problem, were you able to fix it? If you have gotten a return from verizon, was it a good experience? Do you think this is a hardware or software issue? Anything else I should try to troubleshoot?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
T

Tuxgirl

Reaction score
Info I didn't include since I was on my phone: :)

router is linksys wrt54g
we are using wpa (I can't remember if it's wpa 1 or wpa2)
not rooted
this was the first time i'd tried this, so it didn't work previously

bouncing router, rebooting phone, etc., did not fix the problem.

OP
T

Tuxgirl

Reaction score
bumping in hopes that somebody may have some suggestions?

OP
T

Tuxgirl

Reaction score
(I just switched channels, based on wifi analyzer's results, and I have switched the router to G-only mode. I am really confused, but it feels like this is not likely to be a hardware issue, since I am able to connect to the router just fine, and I get an IP address without trouble. I'm just really frustrated because it doesn't make any sense...

OP
T

Tuxgirl

Reaction score
SOLVED!!!

Apparently the phone cannot handle AES encryption. The WPA encryption must be changed to TKIP...

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I use WPA2 with AES on a D2G. Unless the WiFI adapter in the DX is different, and I dont think it is, AES should work fine.

OlafTheOx

Reaction score
If you continue to have difficulty connecting, it might be a problem with the router firmware. There is a GPL router firmware project similar in nature to the Android ROM development you read about here. I flashed their firmware to my 3 month new Linksys router last year, and it cured all my connection woes. Go to WWW.dd-wrt.com for more info.

DInc with CyanogenMod 6.1

grace1169

Reaction score
If you continue to have difficulty connecting, it might be a problem with the router firmware. There is a GPL router firmware project similar in nature to the Android ROM development you read about here. I flashed their firmware to my 3 month new Linksys router last year, and it cured all my connection woes. Go to WWW.dd-wrt.com for more info.

DInc with CyanogenMod 6.1

Thx! This happens sometimes. And now it is OK. Also I will take your advice about the GPL router firmware.