Third party phone purchase....

echo6280

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm guessing it has) but I wasn't sure where to search for it. My girlfriend has had her Storm for about a year and she loves my Droid. She would love to get one. I told her that according to many sources it's still one of the best android phones out there. I saw that Amazon has them for $19.99. I was wondering what the catch was? Surely you can't just buy it from Amazon and take it to a verizon store and say "hook it up on my current plan". I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how this works. I've always purchased my phones from the local retailers. Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm guessing it has) but I wasn't sure where to search for it. My girlfriend has had her Storm for about a year and she loves my Droid. She would love to get one. I told her that according to many sources it's still one of the best android phones out there. I saw that Amazon has them for $19.99. I was wondering what the catch was? Surely you can't just buy it from Amazon and take it to a verizon store and say "hook it up on my current plan". I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how this works. I've always purchased my phones from the local retailers. Thanks.

You either have to be a new every 2 person or a new customer. You sign your contract with Amazon, and basically after that it's the same as Verizon. 30 days to check it out, make sure your happy with it and such.

My wife loves hers, we got it through Amazon. I highly recommend.

OP
echo6280

echo6280

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I'm a little confused...

1. So would she have to get out of her current contract?
2. If she hasn't had her Storm for a year yet is she S.O.L.?
3. What happens if the phone needs service?
4. Is she better off just going through a local retailer? Is it easier?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I'm a little confused...

1. So would she have to get out of her current contract?
2. If she hasn't had her Storm for a year yet is she S.O.L.?
3. What happens if the phone needs service?
4. Is she better off just going through a local retailer? Is it easier?

1. At least until she's eligible for an update. Amazon is a new contract.
2. No, you can get her a Droid but not at that price.
3. Well, they never service them, they replace them. Amazon would do the same.
4. If she meets the criteria making her eligible for the new phone no. If you still want to move forward on a Droid I suggest calling customer service and have her tell them that her storm basically sucks, she's not happy and wants an upgrade. Verizon will usually work with you and give you an early upgrade but don't expect it to be 19.95. It will probably be 200.00.