Thinking Of Rooting my Thunderbolt

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Hello, i have a colleague with a TB and has rooted his phone with BAMF7, i love the interface and all it has to offer, just nervous about rooting my phone as i have not done this before and dont want to brick it ! any thoughts?

Javaknight

Reaction score
rooting is super easy and worth it!

I rooted my Thunderbolt using the Revolutionary tool and I flashed the BAMF Forever 1.0.7 ROM on it and it runs great! To be honest even just rooting gives you the ability to disable the bloatware

G
ood luck!

sonicanatidae

Reaction score
Hello, i have a colleague with a TB and has rooted his phone with BAMF7, i love the interface and all it has to offer, just nervous about rooting my phone as i have not done this before and dont want to brick it ! any thoughts?

I also used the Revolutionary hack and have had zero problems. There is even a way to reverse the Revo changes, so
if you had to return the phone, S-ON would be restored and the device would be unrooted.

I definitely recommend Revolutionary over the HTC website. While there is no smoking gun stating
that they are voiding warranties, the chance exists using the HTC method since they can then
ID your phone. Using the Revo hack, zero information on that travels back to HTC, so as far
as they are concerned, it's still STOCK.

If you don't like the SENSE overlay, consider an AOSP ROM. Liquid Smooth 3.2 is what
I use and I love it.

Good Luck!

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I also used the Revolutionary hack and have had zero problems. There is even a way to reverse the Revo changes, so
if you had to return the phone, S-ON would be restored and the device would be unrooted.

I definitely recommend Revolutionary over the HTC website. While there is no smoking gun stating
that they are voiding warranties, the chance exists using the HTC method since they can then
ID your phone. Using the Revo hack, zero information on that travels back to HTC, so as far
as they are concerned, it's still STOCK.

If you don't like the SENSE overlay, consider an AOSP ROM. Liquid Smooth 3.2 is what
I use and I love it.

Good Luck!

Is it possible to root my phone through the web on the device or must i hook it up through my pc? Im not to good with all this.....and am fearful of bricking the phone !

sonicanatidae

Reaction score
Is it possible to root my phone through the web on the device or must i hook it up through my pc? Im not to good with all this.....and am fearful of bricking the phone !

The process is very simple, but does require a direct connection (data cable) to a Windows or Linux box.

Head to this site:
Revolutionary

Before you run the program, read this section:
public:revolutionary [RootWiki]
(It's not long and gives you a basic idea of the process and some basic troubleshooting info should things go awry.)

A 3rd party WalkThru for Revolutionary on Thunderbolt
Gain S-Off On HTC Thunderbolt In One Click With Revolutionary 0.4

Understand that anytime you mod a device you run a risk. To protect your device and your sanity,
I highly recommend reading whatever you can find on a given process BEFORE running it. The processes
aren't usually very difficult, you just have to follow the steps exactly and normally things work right.

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
So I am going to root with revolutionary next week with a friend who knows what they are doing, they are going to use the bamf rom,.....which he is using on his TB currently and love.....any thoughts on bamf or any other roms? Is bamf safe for my phone and or is revolutionary safe as well,? thoughts please !

sonicanatidae

Reaction score
So I am going to root with revolutionary next week with a friend who knows what they are doing, they are going to use the bamf rom,.....which he is using on his TB currently and love.....any thoughts on bamf or any other roms? Is bamf safe for my phone and or is revolutionary safe as well,? thoughts please !

I've never used a BAMF Rom. The first Rom I flashed was Liquid Smooth 3.2 and I love it. Never needed to flash another.
Literally thousands and thousands of people have used Revolutionary.io to gain S-OFF/Root and install Roms, so I personally
felt it reasonably safe. I ran it on mine in Nov/2011 and haven't had a problem.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Rooting gives you so many options, its like jailbreaking a SP-64 it sucks until you jailbreak/root.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Should I root or wait for ics I'm so confused

BRING ON ICS!!!!!!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should I root or wait for ics I'm so confused

BRING ON ICS!!!!!!

If you wait for ICS, you'll also have to wait for them to find a root exploit. Also, if you plan on waiting, get comfortable. Its probably 6 months out for the TB yet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
When rooting:...... after its done is it easy to switch to diferent roms? Like from BAMF to liquid ice so on& so on ?
BRING ON ICS!!!!!!

JRParsons

Reaction score
I waited until I was just about out of warranty and had an upgrade available, wish I had rooted months ago. I was also not comfortable doing it, but I took it step by step, and other than one harmless mistake, it went really easy. I don't remember who, but someone on here has the links to the steps in his/her signature. They really helped. There are a couple of apps your gonna want to buy, your friend will know which ones.
I'm running a Sense 3.xx rom, so it kept me from using my upgrade for a Rezound, I feel like I have a new phone.
Oh yeah, and I'm now getting 16 hours on the Rezound Battery in my thunderbolt. 12 with the stock battery, and I have used the extended battery, but have not been below 50% with it, so I have no idea how long I could stretch it.

After I rooted it, I realized that the sim in it had been retired from nonuse, so I brought it to the Verizon Wireless store (rooted) had them put a new sim in it and activate it. The tech didn't recognize the boot animation, but said nothing about it being rooted. I think I could have said "root" over and over and all he would have thought of was a tree.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I waited until I was just about out of warranty and had an upgrade available, wish I had rooted months ago. I was also not comfortable doing it, but I took it step by step, and other than one harmless mistake, it went really easy. I don't remember who, but someone on here has the links to the steps in his/her signature. They really helped. There are a couple of apps your gonna want to buy, your friend will know which ones.
I'm running a Sense 3.xx rom, so it kept me from using my upgrade for a Rezound, I feel like I have a new phone.
Oh yeah, and I'm now getting 16 hours on the Rezound Battery in my thunderbolt. 12 with the stock battery, and I have used the extended battery, but have not been below 50% with it, so I have no idea how long I could stretch it.

After I rooted it, I realized that the sim in it had been retired from nonuse, so I brought it to the Verizon Wireless store (rooted) had them put a new sim in it and activate it. The tech didn't recognize the boot animation, but said nothing about it being rooted. I think I could have said "root" over and over and all he would have thought of was a tree.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Excellent info thanks so......I'm not eligable until next year.....also have the extended battery ....so I guess ill get even better battery life......I got a friend who will root it for me since I'm clueless ......from there everythig should be simple after the root.....???? Additionally he will use revolutionary root? What is the difffference with different root methods.....???? Is there a difference? If so what is it ?

BRING ON ICS!!!!!!