Thinking Of Rooting my Thunderbolt

JRParsons

Reaction score
I used Revolutionary, no issues. This was my first time, I was actually hoping I could find someone to do it for me, but I was using a Stratosphere and the Thunderbolt was just sitting there, so I felt I had nothing to loose.
Now that I'm rooted, I just gave the Stratosphere to my nephew.
I just followed directions to the letter, and an hour later I was running a custom rom, and had a phone that had only the apps I wanted, I didn't notice the increased battery life until the next day. (I think that's more a product of the rom then the fact it is rooted.)
I love to mess with technology, but have no idea how it works, like Joe Rogan says (paraphrase) If you strand me in the woods with just an ax, you will never get an email from me.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I waited until I was just about out of warranty and had an upgrade available, wish I had rooted months ago. I was also not comfortable doing it, but I took it step by step, and other than one harmless mistake, it went really easy. I don't remember who, but someone on here has the links to the steps in his/her signature. They really helped. There are a couple of apps your gonna want to buy, your friend will know which ones.
I'm running a Sense 3.xx rom, so it kept me from using my upgrade for a Rezound, I feel like I have a new phone.
Oh yeah, and I'm now getting 16 hours on the Rezound Battery in my thunderbolt. 12 with the stock battery, and I have used the extended battery, but have not been below 50% with it, so I have no idea how long I could stretch it.

After I rooted it, I realized that the sim in it had been retired from nonuse, so I brought it to the Verizon Wireless store (rooted) had them put a new sim in it and activate it. The tech didn't recognize the boot animation, but said nothing about it being rooted. I think I could have said "root" over and over and all he would have thought of was a tree.

What do you mean " After I rooted it, I realized that the sim in it had been retired from nonuse, ".

Please clarify as I want to avoid this issue !

Thanks youve been very helpful!

JRParsons

Reaction score
The rooting had nothing to do with it, I had been using a Stratosphere (different phone), the Thunderbolt hadn't been active on any line for a couple of months when I rooted it.

I had been told by Verizon that if I wanted to use the Thunderbolt I could just take the sim out of the Stratosphere and put it in the Thunderbolt, but I realized after I rooted the thunderbolt, that the sim in the Stratosphere was a mini or micro sim and the Thunderbolt"s is full size, so I called Verizon and they said they could not activate the thunderbolt because the sim hadn't been used for x amount of time.
So I ran to the Verizon store with a rooted Thunderbolt and told them I needed a sim and my thunderbolt activated. The tech just did what I asked, except I could tell he thought it was weird when the boot animation was not the lighting bolt and thunder clap.

Natey2

Reaction score
How about sticking with the good old stock ROM?
Advantages:
Largest user base, and by a very large margin.
No work needed to install it.
Automatic OTA updates by Verizon, even while you sleep.
Full technical support crew at Verizon store or via website; no need to hide your phone from them or play games like SBF before bringing your phone to them.
Most app developers test their apps against this ROM.
If something is really wrong with this ROM, very many people will complain.
Camera, video, HDMI output, Netflix, etc. all work fine.
There definitely are much worse ROMs out there that can cause excessive battery drain, cripple hardware features, cause certain apps to fail, etc.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

JRParsons

Reaction score
How about sticking with the good old stock ROM?
Advantages:
Largest user base, and by a very large margin.
No work needed to install it.
Automatic OTA updates by Verizon, even while you sleep.
Full technical support crew at Verizon store or via website; no need to hide your phone from them or play games like SBF before bringing your phone to them.
Most app developers test their apps against this ROM.
If something is really wrong with this ROM, very many people will complain.
Camera, video, HDMI output, Netflix, etc. all work fine.
There definitely are much worse ROMs out there that can cause excessive battery drain, cripple hardware features, cause certain apps to fail, etc.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Nothing against the stock rom, it works, but at the moment my phone's been unplugged for 15+ hours and I have 69% left (extended battery - modorate use), this is exceptional on a 4g device. The Thunderbolt runs Sense 2.xx, 3.xx is much better (especially the cool lock screen). I could run out and buy a new Rezound, which would have all of these features (minus the battery life), but now I get to have a "new" phone any time I want to flash a new rom, without using an upgrade or shelling out $$.
Also, I purchased my Tbolt on release day, so I had very little warranty left, and I am sitting on an upgrade (I have multiple lines on the account), so like I stated in an earlier post, I felt I had nothing to loose.

I'm not sure what Thunderbolt's are going for on ebay/craigslist but I think that the risk is minimal, even if your Tbolt is new. Now if I was rooting a new Razor Maxx and didn't have an upgrade at my disposal, obviously the risk would be greater.

Lastly, so many Thunderbolts have been rooted without issue, that the chances of creating a "brick" are slim. There is huge developer support for the tbolt.

Just from experience, I really wish I had done this sooner, took an hour and made me really like a phone I had retired to my desk drawer. If you already like your phone, I suggest leaving it alone, but we're talking about the Thunderbolt here, not a well received device. It took HTC almost a year to get it working at almost 100%. (I still have bluetooth connectivity issues with Ford Sync - tried 2 different Tbolts - both rooted and stock, and about 100yds after I leave my driveway, my truck says "phone disconnected", when I reconnect it stays connected. I think it has something to do with the switch from Wifi to 3g/4g)

Done rambling. sorry

Drew_P

Reaction score
I tried using the revolutionary method to root today. Tried several times but it never got passed the part after I entered the beta key. Screen would sit there for a minute or two then just say could not get root. Very frustrating. Any ideas or solutions? I'm certain I followed all the steps and downloaded all the drivers and zip files. Any help would be appreciated.

sent from my rezound powered thunderbolt!!!

JRParsons

Reaction score
I would verify that your doing the steps correctly. If I remember correctly there were like 3 major steps, flash back to an earlier version of the stock rom, root, flash a new rom. (there was also an optional step that gave you a newer radio)
I wish I could help more, but I know nothing about the programming/modding of a phone. I do know that I followed the steps to the letter and was able to root my thunderbolt.
Tomorrow morning when I'm in front of my computer ill see if I can find the exact steps I followed and post the link to this thread.

Rhino94

Reaction score
Dude I was just like you I had such fear of rooting. I am rooted and the the happiest I will ever be with my thunderbolt. I have Bamf Skyraider running currently and main it runs very very smooth.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Rhino94

Reaction score
I tried using the revolutionary method to root today. Tried several times but it never got passed the part after I entered the beta key. Screen would sit there for a minute or two then just say could not get root. Very frustrating. Any ideas or solutions? I'm certain I followed all the steps and downloaded all the drivers and zip files. Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure your phone is set on debugging and it is on charging not disk drive mode.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Just tried to root and and got root failed y is that ????

BRING ON ICS!!!!!!

manolo

Reaction score

Which version of software number do you have on your thunderbolt? From Settings, About Phone, Software information you should be able to see the Software number. If you ave 2.11.605.9 before rooting you have to go back on the old stock version of software that you can download from the net.

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Which version of software number do you have on your thunderbolt? From Settings, About Phone, Software information you should be able to see the Software number. If you ave 2.11.605.9 before rooting you have to go back on the old stock version of software that you can download from the net.

So I have 2.11.605.9.....how to I go back to an old stock version of software??? Again I got root failed is this y ?

BRING ON ICS!!!!!!

Drew_P

Reaction score
Yup that's the one I have too. Guess I'll have to search and find how to go to the older version before I can root this bad boy.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
downgrade to .5 then do revolutionary

sent from my bolt