Thinking of Rooting DX - Need advice

zeldarocks

Reaction score
I'm about to take the plunge and finally root my Droid X and install ApeX as my custom Rom; I was wondering, what do I need in terms of prerequisite software --recovery utilities, etc? Also, I understand the risks and was wondering what the safest --and easiest-- way to go about Rooting was; should I opt for a one-click root, or take the Terminal route? BTW, I am running the latest version of the Android operating system and 2.3.340 of the kernel...

trook

Reaction score
You need the droid x bootstrap or "koush's bootstrap", you need rsd lite, you need the sbf file just incase (rsd lite is a motorola program that will flash your phone back to its out of the box state, the sbf file is your phones specific flash file). you need to export your contacts to gmail, and make a backup using the droid x bootstrap (availible on the market). I've rooted a few different ways, theyre all the same, just google Z4 Root, thats the one the kids are using these days and it works fine. You should check out the droid x hacks section, at the top theres a sticky called droid x hacking guide or something. Theres links to everything you will need as well as instructions on using it all.

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment, do I need to flash the froyo root Rom in order to install a custom Rom such as ApeX? What about obtaining the SBF file? Lastly, what of Koush's Bootstrap? At what point do I need to utilize it and HOE do I utilize it?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
I am still slightly confused and overwhelmed; could you give me a step by step list on what to do first?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
First part is rooting the phone...2nd part is doing a back-up in case of failure down the line...3rd part is installing a ROM...

1) Download z4root...search on Google and you will find it...should be version 1.6 I believe. Install it and then run it as you would any other app. Prepare to wait a few minutes...3-5 normally. If in that time frame it has not shut down and rebooted on its own...do so yourself. Boot the phone back up and then restart z4root and allow it to run again...shouldnt take more than 2 times in my experience. When it does shut down and reboot on its own, when it boots back up go to your App Drawer and scroll down until you find the new "Super User" app and icon (Pirate Skull)..if you see this, you should be rooted...you will know for sure when you go to do the next step...

2) Go to the Market and download/pay for Koushs DX Bootstrapp/Recovery and let it install...it should ask you for Super User Access/Permission..allow it.

3) Once Bootstrapp is installed, fire it up and select Back-up/Recovery. You are about to make a back-up of your phones current configuration in case something were to go sideways at a later date, you can boot into Recovery and load this "saved image" file and have a working phone again.

4) Steps to making the back-up, courtesy of Droid-Xer on Droid X Forums, are as follows:

1. Click on Droid X Bootstrap app
2. Click Bootstrap Recovery, then click OK when it says Success
3. Click Reboot Recovery, phone will automatically reboot
4. Once in the black screen with green writing, you will use the side volume rockers to move up and down and then the camera hard key to select.
5. Move down to backup/restore and select it.
6. Move to Backup and select it
The phone will begin to create a full backup (nandroid) of your system, data, and cache. This will take about 5 minutes to generate. After it is finished it will take you back to the main screen. If you want to move back to previous screens use the back hard key.
7. Select reboot system now.
8. You can view your backups in your file manager. There will be a clockworkmod folder where the backups reside. You can change the name of the file, but do not use spaces or odd characters. For example, use a dash - rather than a backslash / for dates.

3) Installing a ROM instructions from via Droid-Xer on Droid X Forums are as follows:

1. Click Droid X Bootstrap app, hit bootstrap recovery, click ok, then reboot recovery.
2. Go to mounts
2a. (Optional, read instructions on ROM install) Mount system. If system is mounted, prompt will read "unmount system"
3. Format data, click yes
4. Format cache, click yes
5. Back arrow
6. Install zip from sd card
7. Go to folder where zip is. If you downloaded zip from stock browser and didn't move it, it will be in the DOWNLOAD folder.
8. Click on the zip you want to install, then yes.
9. Once install is finished, back arrow, and reboot.

Does this seem any less intimidating? Really, its not as bad or as hard as you think...it just looks that way. Best thing to do is read about each step involved until you feel comfortable to give that step a go, ie "rooting" first..

Sniper_5

Reaction score
+1, I just rooted, themed and overclocked my phone today when it came in the mail. Everything is very simple but always make a backup just in case. Best of luck.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
I really appreciate the help my friend, this should at least get me going; I'll be back if I need further assistance... One more thing, is thewre anything further that I need, or will this cover everything?

EDIT: What about the Bootstrap/recovery application? The only one in the Marketplace is 'Droid X Recovery Bootstrap' by ClockWorkMod... Is there a way to obtain this for free?

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I am still slightly confused and overwhelmed; could you give me a step by step list on what to do first?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

There is a link in my signature, hopefully it can help you out. ;)

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
How do I boot into the Bootstrap Recovery should the need arise?

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Open boot strap app. Top button installs it, bottom button will reboot you into recovery.

Sent from my DROIDX