Thinking of buying PdaNet?

Natey2

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying PdaNet to tether my non-rooted DroidX, until I ran into:

Susteen Datapilot Tether: Tether Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile smart phone

FRYS.com*|*SUSTEEN

It comes with a $20 rebate if purchased through Frys, which effectively makes the product free.
I regret to say today is the last day for this rebate for this period, but I got a similar deal/rebate around Thanksgiving, and have reason to believe the rebate will be offered again.

The product is actually PdaNet 2.45 (with some additional backup functions), and I've used it with my DroidX and Window XP Pro laptop successfully.

qman66

Reaction score
the best thing u can do is root it and download wireless tether much better than any of those programs. rooting is so easy and u can always unroot. check out z4root

igknight

Reaction score
I bought and regularly use PDANet. I like it better than the wireless tether. It seems to stay connected better for me, and it does not drain the battery as fast.

I have never tried the tether your talking about.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
I bought and regularly use PDANet. I like it better than the wireless tether. It seems to stay connected better for me, and it does not drain the battery as fast.

I have never tried the tether your talking about.

Susteen Datapilot Tether = PdaNet 2.45 + some Datapilot backup functions.
Looks like Susteen is reselling PdaNet for Junefabrics.

I like being able to edit my contacts on my PC, after backing them up.

Cheaper to buy from Fry's with the rebate, than directly from Junefabrics, IMO.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

csimo

Reaction score
I'm rooted and have both PDANet and Wireless Tether. I use PDANet more because it's a LOT faster.

SomeThingWicked

Reaction score
I am finding just the opposite from most everybody above. Both my son and I HAD Windows phones, and found that the only solution to tethering our smartphones was to buy PdaNet. I absolutely hated the product! it disconnected constantly, wouldn't connect AT ALL on occasion, and I didn't like the fact that I had to license the program and NOT register the phone. That meant that I couldn't just get online anywhere, I had to use my computer at home (I didn't have a laptop at the time).

My wife, on the other hand, had just purchased a Blackberry Storm and started using TetherBerry (now called Tether). I soon realized that Tether was a superior product to Pdanet, which I couldn't even GET for the Windows platform. SOOooooooo....I waited for my upgrades to come around, and now we are the proud owners of a Droid X (mine), a Droid2 Global (hers), and my son got the Storm.....he will be using his upgrade this summer to join the Droid family.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Both my son and I HAD Windows phones, and found that the only solution to tethering our smartphones was to buy PdaNet.

Before Android, I was a Windows Mobile 6 user for a couple of years.
All Windows devices supported Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
AT&T disabled it, but a Microsoft MVP posted 2 .cab files that reset a registry setting, installed a security cert, and created/enabled a shortcut to launch ICS, to bring things back to the Microsoft standard.
Worked great for me.
You didn't need a 3rd party app (or root the device) to tether.

SomeThingWicked

Reaction score
In that case is there any way to tether my two new Droids without buying two new copies of Tether? I don't know exactly what this unrooting thing is butit scares the hell out of me. I would rather not have a $600 paper weight. If it involves that, I would rather buy Tether.

dangerous

Reaction score
In that case is there any way to tether my two new Droids without buying two new copies of Tether? I don't know exactly what this unrooting thing is butit scares the hell out of me. I would rather not have a $600 paper weight. If it involves that, I would rather buy Tether.

Ok.. question for you....

.. Do you log in to your windows machine as "ADMIN". if you do, then that is about the same as "ROOTing" of your phone. Don't be afraid.. it just gives your more control on what you install / un-install or "break"...

peterjariel

Reaction score
I have both PDAnet and wireless tether I use the PDAnet on my PC and Wireless tether on my laptop I think they both work pretty much the same I think WT is a little faster and its way faster to connect.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score

.. Do you log in to your windows machine as "ADMIN". if you do, then that is about the same as "ROOTing" of your phone. Don't be afraid.. it just gives your more control on what you install / un-install or "break"...

I realize the question above was for SomeThingWicked, but I personally don't generally use the Administrator account under Windows, or the root user under Linux (sudo is good enough for me for most things).

FWIW, some risks of rooting are discussed here:
http://jack-mannino.blogspot.com/2010/11/dangers-of-rooting-your-mobile-device.html

SomeThingWicked

Reaction score

I do login to my computer as admin, but unrooting doesn't look that simple. I have seen a few examples of how its done and....... yeah I'm not that technical.

Texx

Reaction score
So forgive me if my head is still not clear on this beautiful first day of 2011....but isn't the question at hand really just:

What is the best free tether app or way to tether WITHOUT rooting?

I am wondering the same thing myself. I understand rooting is not over my head on a technical level...but I would rather spend the time to learn and apply it doing something else.

Thanks in advance for the help.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
It comes with a $20 rebate if purchased through Frys, which effectively makes the product free.

I received my rebate check yesterday 4/1/2011, for a rebate I mailed out on 12/9/2010! Anyone receive their rebate faster?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Rebate for Susteen Datapilot Tether is ON again, from 21 Dec 2011 until 5th Jan 2012. See 1st message in this thread for the link.
I haven't used mine recently. Need to check if it still works.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk