TheRootNinja Delivers A Toasty Thanksgiving Treat, Droid Turbo Bootloader Unlock!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

First off I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Hopefully yours was as joy filled as mine. Nothing beats great food and time with friends and family! As I was sitting on the couch about to fall asleep from the Tryptophan I saw in my twitter feed a little teaser pic that P3droid posted showing that his personal Droid Turbo Bootloader had been unlocked. Seeing this image woke me right up!

Jcase and the team from TheRoot.Ninja have come through with little holiday gifts like this in the past. Today we get a nice Thanksgiving day treat! TheRoot.Ninja has added support for the Droid Turbo to the Sunshine app. This means the Droid Turbo can now be fully bootloader unlocked! The update brings Sunshine to 3.2 Beta. There is a warning not to use the latest build of Sunshine for any other devices. Jcase has also added on twitter that one more surprise is coming this weekend! Who knows what that could be.

via XDA

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Trying to get Kingroot to work on mine, no success so far. :(

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok, all done! xposed installed, moto tether module installed and working right this second!

Sent from my X98 Air 3G(C5J6) using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
c67c08859f8269c6aec80ad65a04bc25.jpg
20414213a830feda33f727c6308fc1da.jpg
0a8d3b8634dabfe803bcafe2a8382ad9.jpg
e8995c74f27be97f35340992f852ab87.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, so it was a little bit more involved than I thought it would be. Took me most of the evening before I got it all right. Cost is $25 for the SunShine to unlock the bootloader but it's done.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, so it was a little bit more involved than I thought it would be. Took me most of the evening before I got it all right. Cost is $25 for the SunShine to unlock the bootloader but it's done.

paying to unlock your bootloader. Not sure I agree with this.

I understand a TON of work goes into getting these to work... but charging to unlock a bootloader is something I could see these corporations getting even more upset about. They already dislike us unlocking our bootloaders so much so that they've made it impossible on some devices. I can't seen requiring payment being a good thing.

Though this does make me want to get the droid turbo now... just a bit more.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I think I need to update the radios (haven't done that in awhile), then flash Computerfreek's rom without Xposed, right?

Then Sunshine? Thanks for the update, sounds like I need to set aside some time next weekend to do this.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think I need to update the radios (haven't done that in awhile), then flash Computerfreek's rom without Xposed, right?

Then Sunshine? Thanks for the update, sounds like I need to set aside some time next weekend to do this.

I don't know what order is appropriate for what you're doing but Sunshine is the Bootloader unlock, that ALSO makes the temproot from Kingroot into a permanent root. Without Sunshine, the root goes away at reboot.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
@kodiak799 you don't think the corporations will get upset about people charging to unlock bootloaders?

I'm all for compensating the developers... I just don't want them to get into any trouble, and these companies really aren't looking out for the developers

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
@kodiak799 you don't think the corporations will get upset about people charging to unlock bootloaders?

I'm all for compensating the developers... I just don't want them to get into any trouble, and these companies really aren't looking out for the developers
How will they get upset? Sure they miss out on the money, but there isn't much they can do unless they drop a cease and desist order. They would have by now if they were going to.

I paid to have my maxx bl unlocked. I'll easily lay again to support the devs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Maybe, but they're providing a service. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be compensated for the service they provide. It's not like they're making a ton of money off it.

You could even argue charging is even better as it keeps it out of the hands of the inexperienced and non-serious. The main reason for locked bootloaders is quality control - the corporations don't want hundreds of thousands of users mucking up their phone because they don't know what they're doing.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but they're providing a service. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be compensated for the service they provide. It's not like they're making a ton of money off it.

You could even argue charging is even better as it keeps it out of the hands of the inexperienced and non-serious. The main reason for locked bootloaders is quality control - the corporations don't want hundreds of thousands of users mucking up their phone because they don't know what they're doing.
I agree, I just don't want to see someone who's doing this service for us get into hot water over something like this. These companies can be absolutely ridiculous with what sets them off and the last thing any of these devs need is a cease and desist or a full blown lawsuit over something like this.

that's all I'm saying. I read the trustzone and it looks like the note 4 suffers from a similar vulnerability, I wonder if there will be an unlock for that as well.