There has to be a way...Yahoo Mail contacts

scottland7

Reaction score
I know there's a new Yahoo Mail application, but it's been buggy and inconsistent and I don't want to fool with it until they've worked out the problems. All I want is access to my Yahoo Mail contacts so it will auto-fill when I want to compose an email. Call me a creature of habit, but I prefer my old standby Yahoo email account and don't want to convert everything over to Google.

Any ideas how I can have my cake and eat it to (read have a Google based phone, but still use my Yahoo Mail as a default with all my contact information readily available.)?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

m6droid

Reaction score
Well, I just synched my Yahoo account to the stock email program. I've absolutely no problems with it that way.

Other than that, the Yahoo apps themselves should be the other way to go, but you're having issues with that it sounds like.

Mule65

Reaction score
Well, I just synched my Yahoo account to the stock email program. I've absolutely no problems with it that way.

Other than that, the Yahoo apps themselves should be the other way to go, but you're having issues with that it sounds like.

That's what I did too. Works fine as long as Wifi is off. Set notify to 30 minutes or longer.

OP
S

scottland7

Reaction score
The Verizon rep at the store set up access to my Yahoo mail account for me, so I never went through that process myself. I can't actually find any reference to it in Settings. But it is my default account. I do get emails pushed to me from Yahoo Mail.

I can find the Gmail account they required me to establish under "Settings" - "Accounts and sync". But there's no reference to the Yahoo account in that same tab.

I did check to see if Wi-Fi was off and it was. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? It may be that the set up process was never completed by the rep. Seems to me there would be an option to sync my Yahoo mail data (including contacts/stores email addresses) under Accounts and sync.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're probably set up with gmail fetching from Yahoo.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You set it up on line with your gmail account. That's what they are talking about. www.gmail.com, password, settings, accounts and imports.

OP
S

scottland7

Reaction score
When I click on the email icon on my main page/desktop screen, it's the Yahoo email account that comes up. It shows all my folders, etc.. The only thing it doesn't do is auto-fill when I type in a contact's name. It doesn't seem to be synced with contacts. Ironically, the one email that it does auto fill is m wife's Gmail address. Curious, huh?

Everyone else, I have to know the email address or I'm SOL. I don't get it.

OP
S

scottland7

Reaction score

Care to share how you did that step by step? Feel free to PM me if that would be easier. When I click on the "Email" icon, Yahoo Mail shows up as my only account. When I open the account, it shows my current inbox. So far, so good. I have no problem replying to an email from someone because all I have to do is hit reply. The problem is when I want to initiate and compose a brand new email, I have to know the email address and manually type it in. I can't type in "Dave" and have it show me a list of all "Dave" email addresses from which I can select the correct one. It really has me annoyed. Seems like a little thing, but it's a big deal when email addresses for all your contacts aren't stored for easy access.

There has to be a simple solution. Running everything through Gmail seems like we're adding a "middle man" to an already confusing situation. What am I missing (other than the know how to resolve this issue)?

smagnus1

Reaction score
Same issue here. As smart as this phone is, there has to be a way to make this occur.

m6droid

Reaction score

Care to share how you did that step by step? Feel free to PM me if that would be easier. When I click on the "Email" icon, Yahoo Mail shows up as my only account. When I open the account, it shows my current inbox. So far, so good. I have no problem replying to an email from someone because all I have to do is hit reply. The problem is when I want to initiate and compose a brand new email, I have to know the email address and manually type it in. I can't type in "Dave" and have it show me a list of all "Dave" email addresses from which I can select the correct one. It really has me annoyed. Seems like a little thing, but it's a big deal when email addresses for all your contacts aren't stored for easy access.

There has to be a simple solution. Running everything through Gmail seems like we're adding a "middle man" to an already confusing situation. What am I missing (other than the know how to resolve this issue)?

Well, when I first got my Droid at Verizon, they made me sign up with a GMail account. I think they set it as my main account in the phone...

Then I noticed there were 2 emails apps in my phone: The Gmail app and the other email app (has a yellow icon). I went into the yellow email app and I hit the menu button (the one that looks like a bunch of bars at the bottom of the phone). I then hit the "Add Account". I just followed the on screen instructions and put in my Yahoo account. I didn't set it as my main, I left that being my GMail account.

Now whenever I open the general email account I have the options:

-Combined Inbox
-Drafts
-Gmail Account
-Yahoo Mail Account

When I got into Yahoo and I use to menu button to compose a new message I can type an email or person's name into the "To:" section and it gives me choices and all emails for any person I type in.

I did nothing special, I just followed the onscreen instructions when setting up my account. Have you tried deleting that account from your mail email app (the stock one with the phone) and re-inputting it? Other than that, I have no idea what to tell you. My phone just does it without issue...

Edit: Are you rooted? I am still running stock 2.1. Maybe that has something to do with it?

OP
S

scottland7

Reaction score
Same issue here. As smart as this phone is, there has to be a way to make this occur.

I agree. It's frustrating. But based on responses here, I think we've found one of the limits of the Droid. Very disappoiniting. They're pushing google so hard that they don't develop apps to assist folks like us who are comfortable with the yahoo mail interface. Makes no sense that I can receive all my emails through my yahoo account but can't send using stored contact info. As smart as this phone is, it has to be an intentional omission that they hope will eventually force you to google.

OP
S

scottland7

Reaction score

Well, when I first got my Droid at Verizon, they made me sign up with a GMail account. I think they set it as my main account in the phone...

Then I noticed there were 2 emails apps in my phone: The Gmail app and the other email app (has a yellow icon). I went into the yellow email app and I hit the menu button (the one that looks like a bunch of bars at the bottom of the phone). I then hit the "Add Account". I just followed the on screen instructions and put in my Yahoo account. I didn't set it as my main, I left that being my GMail account.

-Combined Inbox
-Drafts
-Gmail Account
-Yahoo Mail Account

When I got into Yahoo and I use to menu button to compose a new message I can type an email or person's name into the "To:" section and it gives me choices and all emails for any person I type in.

I did nothing special, I just followed the onscreen instructions when setting up my account. Have you tried deleting that account from your mail email app (the stock one with the phone) and re-inputting it? Other than that, I have no idea what to tell you. My phone just does it without issue...

Edit: Are you rooted? I am still running stock 2.1. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I am running 2.1 - Update 1 according to my account settings.

I understand what you did. One question, though. Did you select "manual set up" when you established the yahoo account or just click "next" and cycle through the set up process? If you chose manual set up, what type of account and what setting did you use?

I am tempted to remove yahoo and start over, but then if I screw that up, I have NO access even to my yahoo inbox.

Thanks for your help.

m6droid

Reaction score

-Combined Inbox
-Drafts
-Gmail Account
-Yahoo Mail Account

I am running 2.1 - Update 1 according to my account settings.

I understand what you did. One question, though. Did you select "manual set up" when you established the yahoo account or just click "next" and cycle through the set up process? If you chose manual set up, what type of account and what setting did you use?

I am tempted to remove yahoo and start over, but then if I screw that up, I have NO access even to my yahoo inbox.

Thanks for your help.

I just hit the "next" button and set it up that way. I usually do that first time through just to see what all is involved and give me control over what options any program is putting on any (be it Android, Windows, etc) system.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I agree. It's frustrating. But based on responses here, I think we've found one of the limits of the Droid. Very disappoiniting. They're pushing google so hard that they don't develop apps to assist folks like us who are comfortable with the yahoo mail interface. Makes no sense that I can receive all my emails through my yahoo account but can't send using stored contact info. As smart as this phone is, it has to be an intentional omission that they hope will eventually force you to google.
Google and Yahoo aren't exactly best friends, they do compete with each other. Try going into McDonald's and ordering a Whopper, its the same idea.