(Theme) Black N Bold for BB

todroid

Reaction score
Awesome theme. Absolutely love it. Came from Evolution Theme and realized that black background throughout A) increases battery life B) shows a lot less fingerprints. Great theme.
I installed the theme, the updated app package, and the black market. Three small issues resulted.

1) The short press of the search button does not activate typed search. Long press for the voice input works fine, but the short press does not. It was the case when I initially installed BB 0.5, but I ran the fix in the terminal and gained it back (ln -s fix). But now if I try to run the same fix it says that the file already exists. And yet I cannot get the button functionality back.

2) Pete added the video camera app to his ROM. It's basically a regular camera app, but it starts immediately in the video mode instead of photo. It was a cool little functionality. The installation of your camera app resulted in the video app force closure. I tried turning your app into a .bak version, re-installing Pete's original camera app from his ROM zip, but that broke the camera altogether. I had to go back to your camera app, so Pete's video app still does not work.

3) The notification bar with all the icons, the pulldown screen, and the lock screen icons all remained from Evolution ROM. I actually like them like that, but I wondered why they did not change. They are part of your theme for BB, aren't they?

These are certainly not deal breakers and I'm looking forward your progress on this theme as it is certainly my favorite. But if you could think of a way to fix the issues above I would certainly appreciate it.

Have a drink on me, nevertheless!

todroid

Reaction score
Also, I did not see an OP for your theme in the BB section. Am I missing it? I think many more BB users would rock your theme if exposed to it.
Ignore the post if you already have it there.

rnev001

Reaction score
This is my all time fav theme....great job.... how exactly do I go about deleted the double apps. Do I just apply the update.zip or is there something else to it

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Awesome theme. Absolutely love it. Came from Evolution Theme and realized that black background throughout A) increases battery life B) shows a lot less fingerprints. Great theme.
I installed the theme, the updated app package, and the black market. Three small issues resulted.

1) The short press of the search button does not activate typed search. Long press for the voice input works fine, but the short press does not. It was the case when I initially installed BB 0.5, but I ran the fix in the terminal and gained it back (ln -s fix). But now if I try to run the same fix it says that the file already exists. And yet I cannot get the button functionality back.

2) Pete added the video camera app to his ROM. It's basically a regular camera app, but it starts immediately in the video mode instead of photo. It was a cool little functionality. The installation of your camera app resulted in the video app force closure. I tried turning your app into a .bak version, re-installing Pete's original camera app from his ROM zip, but that broke the camera altogether. I had to go back to your camera app, so Pete's video app still does not work.

3) The notification bar with all the icons, the pulldown screen, and the lock screen icons all remained from Evolution ROM. I actually like them like that, but I wondered why they did not change. They are part of your theme for BB, aren't they?

These are certainly not deal breakers and I'm looking forward your progress on this theme as it is certainly my favorite. But if you could think of a way to fix the issues above I would certainly appreciate it.

Have a drink on me, nevertheless!

I will have to load my up from a restore and see how things are. The notification bar and everything should changed to look like the pics.

I have not put this in the BB section, as I wanted to have control of my own thread.

Before I forget. THANK YOU SO MUCH, SIR!!!!!

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
I just put an update that affects four .apks. This is for the Camera, Calendar, Gmail, and Music. First remove the instances I put in there by accident (making you have double)

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
rm /system/app/Camera.apk
rm /system/app/Calendar.apk
rm /system/app/Music.apk
Again these are ones that I created and didn't look at the .apk names close enough. Reboot and apply the update.

A couple of questions for you sir...

Can we drag and drop the updated apps into the BnBold theme
.zip prior to flashing so we don't have to do this?

When you say instances? Do you mean remove each
app so we don't get duplicates once the update.zip is applied?

Edit: One more question.
When you say reboot after applying the removal via a terminal emulator you didn't
mention the Gmail app, yet it is there for the update.

it wasn't clear if we should type in rm gmail in the dev/mtblock4 section and
second, after we type in the commands we don't need to type in sys -ro, then sync, then reboot?

When it comes to commands I like detail so when it says reboot we type in reboot once the commands are
entered?

Last edited:
OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you are going to which files from one zip to another do this. Remove the ones that I put in the terminal commands (do not do gmail). Then move over the .apks in the small update. Reason for doing all this is those apps have a different name in this rom and I over looked it. If you all get confused just wait til late tonight and I will just reup the entire theme.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
If you are going to which files from one zip to another do this. Remove the ones that I put in the terminal commands (do not do gmail). Then move over the .apks in the small update. Reason for doing all this is those apps have a different name in this rom and I over looked it. If you all get confused just wait til late tonight and I will just reup the entire theme.

Ok, so I did this correctly then but I am going mad
trying to get this set up the way I want it.

I wanted to install the modded maps you made in the other
thread for BnB....So I uninstalled the Maps 4.5 and
like the instructions said, install like a normal app...

For some reason I see 4 icons within the app drawer, and
no map icon. The map icon was missing before I installed the maps
from the other thread named com.google.apps.maps-2.apk...

When I see the apk under manage applications I see a total of 3.04MB?

I guess it isn't a big deal but it would have been nice to see it.

Edit: Now I cannot get google maps from the market to install.
Installation unsuccessful...

Last edited:
OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
@Johnny Depth - unistalled my modded maps. They won't work on frg22d based roms. After you uninstall it should let you get maps from market.

@bmcglone - your in my section, look around, I have a thread for the icons.

todroid

Reaction score
Bowers,

Any luck on figuring out the issues in my earlier post (#16)? Interested in what you find out...

Thanks
Denis

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Bowers,

Any luck on figuring out the issues in my earlier post (#16)? Interested in what you find out...

Thanks
Denis

Sorry, haven't eve looked into it. Been busy messing around with MIUI and life in general.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
@Johnny Depth - unistalled my modded maps. They won't work on frg22d based roms. After you uninstall it should let you get maps from market.

@bmcglone - your in my section, look around, I have a thread for the icons.

Yup, tried that.
Eventually I could not get the Maps from the market to install.
Neither would my back up load so something got borked.

No matter, I just don't understand why the maps not working with
FRG22D based Roms/Themes wasn't mentioned in detail?

It was bundled with the other apps listed so it isn't transparent.
Now that I know, everything else is working perfect.

Were you behind the Galaxy S theme?
If so any plan to port to Bugless Beast v0.5?:)

Thanks again.

bmcglone

Reaction score
Brightness

Found the icon pack. Awesome.

Does this theme override the extended brightness capability of BB?

The other themes I have tried (Smoked Glass, Luna) return the automatic brightness to the stock range.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score

Just a friendly heads up.
Have you tried uploading say an index.html file
on your phone running Black N Bold?

I uploaded a scrapbook file (index.html) and it comes out dark,
with black text. I'm not sure it is your theme, but wanted to let you know.

Last edited:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Found the icon pack. Awesome.

Does this theme override the extended brightness capability of BB?

The other themes I have tried (Smoked Glass, Luna) return the automatic brightness to the stock range.

Hey, I cannot for the life of me understand why a theme would change something in the system like the brightness settings. A theme really just replaces APKs with mirror copies with graphics changes. Just asking to resolve any issues with my Luna Theme. Thanks.