The upcoming MicroSDXC standard

Bateluer

Reaction score
Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With sizes starting at 64GB, and much publicized 2TB sizes, is there any word on whether they will be compatible with phones like the Droid? We may have to wait until the SD 4.0 standard is released, but it looks like the cards will be of the same physical dimensions and pin outs as the current MicroSDHC cards. It also seems that standard FAT, NTFS, ext3/4 file systems can be used.

Supposedly, these products are coming to market in 2010.

I am intrigued about the idea of popping in 2TBs of storage in my Droid. Since I'm on contract until late 2011, I could like likely easy take the microSDXC card and pop it in my next Android phone yes?

Discuss.

By the time there are 2 TB SDXC cards available, your droid will almost certainly no longer be in use. That's at least 5 years out, probably more. They are having enough trouble getting 32GB microsd cards manufactured. And they are still really expensive.

Cost is gonna be the biggest problem with a 2TB card. If 32GB cards are selling around $200 I shudder to think how high 2TBs could be.

Gonna be something to have that much data available in such a small device. Couple that with faster download speeds and it will get really interesting. Hollywood and the music industry are going to be scrambling.

They'll come down, everything does. I paid $80 for a 1 GB stick in 2004. Now they're almost a giveaway and I carry a 32GB in my pocket which I paid only $60 for.

Yeah but think of how much po... music could be stored on 2TB... music, thats right.
Holy cow 2TB of music?:icon_eek: I don't think I could ever fill 250gb of music let alone 2TBs. If you could though man more power to ya

Yeah but think of how much po... music could be stored on 2TB... music, thats right.
Holy cow 2TB of music?:icon_eek: I don't think I could ever fill 250gb of music let alone 2TBs. If you could though man more power to ya

I have over a TB of music right now on misc hard drives, Dvds and such... I could get 2TB filled no prob

When I came back from Iraq I had about 300gb of music and over a TB of movie files. I setup a server and everybody loaded what they had onto it and then people grabbed what they wanted from it. I then brought it all home.

Mitch

These will not work in droid guaranteed. That is why "up to 32gb" is advertised. I don't believe that there are any micro sdxc readers available to OEMs even now.

Edit: And Tb of music man... How old are you to have listened to that much music? Can't be under 55.

Last edited:
Back