The Thunderbolt's Speed Tests Aren't Accurate

samiusmc

Reaction score
If you're using the Speedtest app by Ookla to test your Thunderbolt's speed, you should be aware that the app is incorrectly reporting crazy upload speeds. Engadget contacted Ookla and here's the quote:

[Update: We've been told by Ookla that the Thunderbolt's massive send buffer is responsible for the erroneously high uplink speeds -- they've got a fix in the works and it'll be available as an update to the Speedtest.net app soon.]

HTC Thunderbolt review -- Engadget

BzB

Reaction score
the download speed tests are accurate. i ran the speedtest on my TB and got a dl speed around 13mb. i then enabled wifi hotspot on the TB and connected my laptop to it. ran the download test from my laptop while connected to the TB hotspot and got 12mb down.

the upload speed while connected to wifi hotspot was 2mb on my laptop. if run directly from the TB it shows some crazy number like 35mb. it seems the upload speedtest from the TB isn't accurate, but the download speeds are.

don't know about you guys but i find it amazing to get cable internet download speeds from your phone. vzw 4g is the real deal. wonder how well vzw network will perform as more 4g users get on it.

Jordan8

Reaction score
Until the update, you can go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test on the phones browser. It seems to be accurate on there.

Am I the only one that for the love of me can't open the site? It will force me to download the app every time.

You have to use a different browser(I use dolphin mini). Probably a way to make it work with the stock browser, not looked into it though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Beardface

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is right... at least not for mine...

Yes, initially I get a crazy, crazy high upload speed due to the buffer, but it always levels out to something reasonable by the time its done. When I was in DC a couple weeks back, I got a crazy 31Mbps download, but only a 4Mbps upload, which is about what I would expect. Initially, it showed something insane like 100-200Mbps upload, but after the buffer spike, it leveled off and showed the true number...

Wonder why its different for others?

robrecht

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is right... at least not for mine...

Yes, initially I get a crazy, crazy high upload speed due to the buffer, but it always levels out to something reasonable by the time its done. When I was in DC a couple weeks back, I got a crazy 31Mbps download, but only a 4Mbps upload, which is about what I would expect. Initially, it showed something insane like 100-200Mbps upload, but after the buffer spike, it leveled off and showed the true number...

Wonder why its different for others?
This thread was started back in March before the updated app came out.