Mobile Infotainment Hands On for GMC Canyon 4WD SLT Crew Diesel Pickup Truck

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2016_GMC_Canyon-2-small.jpg

We have a unique treat for you folks today! One of our sister-sites @ColoradoDiesel.org was able to get sponsorship from General Motors to check out a media fleet vehicle. Our lucky editors were able to spend time with the all new GMC Canyon 4WD SLT Crew Diesel Pickup Truck for a week.

Here on the tech team, we were given the chance to play around with the infotainment system, which includes integrated Bluetooth and OnStar as well as a fully Wi-Fi enabled 4GLTE mobile internet connection. We wanted to take a few moments to share our experience with it for a couple of reasons: One is just because we wanted to shamelessly plug our awesome @ColoradoDiesel.org sister site while giving GMC props for a great vehicle! The other is because this is a mobile tech site. Since this is basically the same infotainment package found on most GM vehicles, it could apply to many of our members as useful info for helping you decide on a new vehicle if/when you are in the market.

We didn't get too crazy with our testing. The main thing we wanted to do was see how well the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi works with an Android and an iPhone. We tested a Google Nexus 5 and an Apple iPhone 6S Plus. Both connected flawlessly with all the aforementioned features of the truck's infotainment package.

For the most part, the Bluetooth works as expected. There was one annoying hiccup with iOS that Apple is working on with a future update. Basically, when you are listening to the radio, if you interrupt it (whether with a received phone call, or activating Waze or Google Maps), it doesn't immediately switch back to radio when you are finished like most automotive Bluetooth setups do. Instead it hangs on to the phone and then tries to play music or keep activating the app constantly from the phone instead of switching back to radio listening. You have to manually go back to the radio. Again, we want to reiterate that Apple is aware of the problem and their tech support indicated that the company is working on a future update to fix it.

As far as the 4GLTE and Wi-Fi is concerned we were very pleasantly surprised. While the connection won't break any speed records, it was arguably faster than some folks experience with their wireless provider. For reference, after hooking up to the Wi-Fi on the truck, browsing was smooth and fast. We also tested the connection using the Ookla Speedtest app and the Speedof.me website. Here are the results:
  • Ookla Speedtest - Ping of 98, Download Speed of 2.37Mbps & Upload Speed of 5.87Mbps
  • Speedof.me website test - Ping of 74, Download Speed of 2.62Mbps & Upload Speed of 3.95Mbps
As you can see, the performance was pretty decent considering. What is obviously a bit odd was how much faster the upload speeds are than the download speeds. This is backwards from the way it usually works. Our theory is that it has something to do with the OnStar, but that's just a guess.

Ultimately, if you are a fan of trucks, and especially GM made vehicles, the GMC Canyon seems like a great choice. From the tech side of things, we were happy with its capabilities (except for the minor Bluetooth problem), and if you are in your vehicle a great deal and need a mobile Wi-Fi connection constantly, then it could be worth it to pay for the monthly subscription to the service. See OnStar.com/4GLTE for pricing info.

Last edited:

vertical

Reaction score
That is a super fast internet connection... For a truck.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Great write up Stormy! Of note for iPhone users. The next update (9.3) will solve the bug with the radio. It's very annoying to say the least.

DougDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used this infotainment system and I really like how how quick it is to connect with bluetooth devices. I have used other systems that seem to take minutes after starting the car to finally pair the phone and or play music. Not the case with this GM system.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Great write up Stormy! Of note for iPhone users. The next update (9.3) will solve the bug with the radio. It's very annoying to say the least.
The Corvette had this same issue(2016 stingray) but they had the software on hand to fix it..
uploadfromtaptalk1456964855155.jpg
f6af1f1f278d1b9988c927d1b1899924.jpg

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Someone is going through a mid-life crisis.
It followed me home..don't get me wrong...these suckers fly..but there was a blue supercharged version..and I decided for a few bucks more a month..it was the blue or nothing..they sold the blue the next morning...so..now I have no Corvette...I fit in Camaro's better...and ...I'm not even 40 yet. Can't be midlife lmao

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I had my midlife at 23. My life expectancy is very low. Hope to make 40.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't count crazy sports car purchases as mid life crises.... otherwise I would have had at least a half dozen by now!
That said, it IS time for another crazy sports car purchase! Ha!
I digress...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The Corvette had this same issue(2016 stingray) but they had the software on hand to fix it..View attachment 76068
f6af1f1f278d1b9988c927d1b1899924.jpg
I got in touch with GM after I noticed it and they told me Apple is aware of it and is working on a fix. Subsequent searches have revealed that iOS 9.3 fixed it.

So you took your vette to the dealer and they fixed it?

R

RETG

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 4GLTE and although it is fairly fast, it sucks for reception. Why GM went to AT&T in 2015 amazes me. Probably great in large metro areas, probably great east of the Mississippi, but out here in the west; it sucks. Canceled it after four month since I had no connections anyplace I camped, but I was able to surf the internet on my Verizon phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I got in touch with GM after I noticed it and they told me Apple is aware of it and is working on a fix. Subsequent searches have revealed that iOS 9.3 fixed it.

So you took your vette to the dealer and they fixed it?
Not mine anymore...but yeah..it was fixed before she left the lot..idk what they did..or of it was..I was too busy listening to that direct injection LT1..that's the best music there was...

Man that thing would scream for 460 HP..all that tech makes a huge difference..

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apparently, the Apple glitch has been fixed. Just FYI. :)