The Physical Keyboard: Is it really THAT difficult to use?

Dmoralize

Reaction score
I use the physical keyboard about 70% of the time and have no real problems with it. I can type fast and it feels fine in my hands. I find both keyboards to be more than adequate. I think that a lot of the criticism of the keyboard in the media was due to the fact that they have used iphones so long that they are now very used to their virtual keyboards. Switching to anything else is of course going to slow you down at first.

TheCrusher

Reaction score
I find myself making lots of errors on the physical keyboard. Not much better or worse with the screen keyboard. In either landscape ore Portrait.

I used to type pretty error-free on my treo. But let's be honest - I owned the 600 for two years, and then the 700 for two years, so I got really really used to the keyboard.

I've realized now that the keyboard is not totally flat. I can feel the keys as I move my thumbs around. I find I do best pressing the keys with the corner of my thumbnail - that eliminates double hits. So I think with practice, I'll be able to use it just as well, but I'm not there yet.

I will say one thing about sending text messages when I'm trying to delete - this is a software problem not a hardware one. The Messages designers knew full well where these keys were, and the least bit of usability testing on their part would have uncovered the problem, and they would just unbind the return key from the send function (plus return characters are allowed in text messages).

tom

trainryche

Reaction score
Would be nice if keys were rounded

It works fine, however it would be nice if the key were slightly more rounded and raised in the center creating a little gap between keys. But all in all it does a good job.

johnnieeve

Reaction score
I bought the Droid because of the physical keyboard. Coming off three Palm Treos, the physical keyboard was all I ever used.
However, I now have 3 keyboards, one virtual in both protrait and landscape modes, plus the physical slide out. I find myself using all three for different applications. A nice touch. I have no interest in the new Nexus because it lacks a physical keyboard.

praeceps

Reaction score
Honestly, I do love the keyboard, but I don't think that's the point. The point is that the Droid is about choice, something a market monopolised by the iPhone doesn't. Not that it can't, that it doesn't. And we all have to admit that it may be a bit cramped, but it could've been plenty smaller and horrible to use. I think they did quite a good job at it. And if you don't believe me, forget about the Droid for a minute and go and think how big a keyboard you would EXPECT if they put one on the iPhone. Pretty small, huh? Smaller than the Droid's.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I have all but given up on using the physical board. Which is a shame because it was one of the deciding factors for trading up from the Eris. I myself suffer from sausage fingers and just can't get a feel for it. And I am coming from a Samsung Impression where I used the flip out keyboard exclusively . The virtual board on this though, I must say is the best I have worked with. Especially with auto correct and predictive text on. Errors are very few now.

SteveCOG

Reaction score
A more pronounced break between the keys would help, but it doesn't hinder the usage at all for me.

Love my Droid.

Guchi

Reaction score
i use the physical keyboard to browse the web and the on screen one to do quick texts and stuff

SG181

Reaction score
I've found the physical keyboard to be very comfortable. This is my first phone with a full physical QWERTY keyboard, and as soon as I started to type, I noticed a dramatic increase in speed over my old Moto ROKR. The shift button does feel a little low, but other than that, I haven't really noticed any problems with it.

When I view the keyboard from the side, it appears flat. However, I can feel a bubble for each individual key, so it doesn't bother me at all.

nunka

Reaction score
I use the physical keyboard whenever I have both hands free. I hate not having real physical feedback when I type/text. Haptic feedback, while nice, just doesn't cut it.

The only problem I have with the physical keyboard is that the apostrophe doesn't have its own key. Makes it kind of annoying to type stuff like "it's," which doesn't autocorrect like "that's" and "he's" and such. I'm sure they're just playing to the lowest common denominator... most kids who use this phone don't care about apostrophes. :)

DCMountaineer

Reaction score
Hello fellow droidheads - first time poster here and thought what topic better to get my feet wet on than one about the controversial keyboard!

I am unsure about the keyboard. I got the droid three days ago and it's giving me real problems. I was writing an email last night and I almost broke out in a cold sweat. I quickly switched back to the Virtual Keyboard and it was much easier - I really like the suggestion box.

Bottom Line: I don't think the physical board is terrible . My old phone, the LG ENV2, was difficult to learn at first and there was definitely a learning curve of a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, so in time, I think the physical board will become more natural.

Question to you all: Am I wrong for thinking the physical board gets easier over time? Any personal experiences with it?

Reaction score
Anything gets easier with time :) It definitely gets easier but as I said I'd really like to see an auto correct / suggestion option either built in or 3rd party.

nunka

Reaction score
A perfect reason why an auto correct option would be nice.
I actually prefer the minimal, behind-the-scenes autopunctuate thing the physical keyboard's got going on. It capitalizes and adds apostrophes (most of the time), but I still get to control exactly what I'm typing and don't end up saying something stupid thanks to a misplaced autocorrect.