Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
The Motorola Droid Is Still The King Of Android

ico-time.png
06. Jul, 2010 written by Zealot | MobilitySite.com
ico-comment.png

Well, apparently this WAS the Droid you were looking for.

Nearly a year after it’s high profile release, the Motorola Droid is still the most popular Android phone on the market despite a lot of stiff competition. Despite being released back in November of 2009 (ancient history in the smartphone game) The Droid has 21 percent of the Android Market as of May. This is followed by the HTC Hero with 16 percent and the HTC Magic with 10 percent.

Bringing up the rear? The Nexus One with only 2 percent.

Of course there are lots of strong challengers that weren’t released when this study was made, including theEVO 4G, the Droid 2 and the Droid X so none of these phones should get too comfy. Despite holding the number one individual spot however, Motorola is still second place over all in the Android Market with 30 percent total. HTC is number one with 53 percent overall. However, all may change very very soon.

To see the full breakdown, check out the cool graphs after the jump

clucernoni

Reaction score
It's not really that surprising. The droid X, Evo, and Droid 2 were all the next gen phones and they aren't included. The Droid Incredible had production issues, and the Nexus one wasn't subsidized. Either way, the Droid has some real staying power.

altjx

Reaction score
It's not really that surprising. The droid X, Evo, and Droid 2 were all the next gen phones and they aren't included. The Droid Incredible had production issues, and the Nexus one wasn't subsidized. Either way, the Droid has some real staying power.

I agree, although there's a lot of new phones coming out, I'll still be sitting with my Motorola Droid too. Personally, those 4.3 in screens are huge, i'm fine with mines. :p

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
The Droid X and the Evo will probably be the next two top phones, or they may not even outrun the Droid. They may either be 2nd or 3rd, the first on the top list.

The Nexus One in my option, didn't sell a lot, because of it's look, lol. To me, it looks like cheap plastic or like they took some $5 off-the-street" cell phone case and put some hardware in it...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I woulda thought the Eris woulda been higher than that since it came out right along side the Droid.

I might just keep my Droid now, even if I get the X. Its gonna go down in history....lol

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I woulda thought the Eris woulda been higher than that since it came out right along side the Droid.

I might just keep my Droid now, even if I get the X. Its gonna go down in history....lol

definitely keep the Droid, no matter what phone you move to :)

Elric

Reaction score
With 2 year contract lock-ins you'd have to be an idiot or a hopeless neophile to continuously go chasing after the latest-greatest-obsolete-the-day-after-it's-released smartphone, IMHO.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
With 2 year contract lock-ins you'd have to be an idiot or a hopeless neophile to continuously go chasing after the latest-greatest-obsolete-the-day-after-it's-released smartphone, IMHO.
Exactly. With Verizon's early 175 dollar early termination fee and the cost of the Droid X, you looking at a big lump of cash.

If I decide to get the Droid X, that's a big if(not a fan of virtual keyboard), I'd use my mum's upgrade which would only cost $20

kristoff125

Reaction score
Exactly. With Verizon's early 175 dollar early termination fee and the cost of the Droid X, you looking at a big lump of cash.

If I decide to get the Droid X, that's a big if(not a fan of virtual keyboard), I'd use my mum's upgrade which would only cost $20

You don't terminate when you upgrade, you just pay full retail price if you don't have an expired contract...

tmoney2007

Reaction score
That's the crazy part. The droid is still a fresh, very capable phone. I am extremely happy with it... I'm just a hopeless techie with some money to burn. Also, I bought the droid on ebay, the last upgrade I got was a BB storm. That was a terrible decision.

J

Johnly

Droid is king! Same resolution as X, but smaller screen (sharp) I am not upgrading until something is 2GHz. X does it better though:)