Motorola Droid still king of the hill

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
attachment.php

Yes the Original Gangsta known as the Motorola Droid that was released upon the masses last November is still top dog in the Android world. According to the advertising network Chitika, the Motorola DROID is the king of the Android hill as of November even though it's been discontinued for some time now. The DROID made up 18.65 percent of Android traffic, while the EVO 4G controled 11.9 percent of the market. The Motorola's DROID X is floating in at 9.67 percent and the HTC Incredible is just behind at 7.19 percent.

It's very surprising to see that the original DROID is still the top Android phone over a year after its release especially when you consider that there's a new Android device coming out what seems weekly. Many still love the DROID with its good specs, hardware QWERTY keyboard, and vanilla build of Android. Not to mention the huge developer community behind it. Droid Forums traffic spiked quickly because of the OG Droids popularity that continues to this day.

Could this be evidence that the Motorola Droid is what put Android on the map? It sure appears that way.

Source:PhoneDog

h_10

Reaction score
what i take from this news.

- people want plane jane vanilla android. android is perfect as it is. no need to add boatware and screw it up.
- rooting extended the useful life of the OG by another year or two, or at least until the dual cores come out. overclocking and developer upgrades makes the droid just as good if not better than the newer android phones released. also loading a new rom is like getting a new phone. who needs an actual new phone when you can get "new phone" w/ every rom change?
- the goal of phone manufacturers is to sell phones. if rooting extends the useful life of your current phones and delays your upgrade to a new phone, this is not a good thing for them. i think this is one of the drivers behind the manufacturers trying to look down their phones.
- i am never getting rid of my OG. well at least not until the dual cores come out and even then i'm waiting until a dual core phone is rooted and custom roms are developed. i wont go back to having a looked down phone.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

- people want plane jane vanilla android. android is perfect as it is. no need to add boatware and screw it up.
- rooting extended the useful life of the OG by another year or two, or at least until the dual cores come out. overclocking and developer upgrades makes the droid just as good if not better than the newer android phones released. also loading a new rom is like getting a new phone. who needs an actual new phone when you can get "new phone" w/ every rom change?
- the goal of phone manufacturers is to sell phones. if rooting extends the useful life of your current phones and delays your upgrade to a new phone, this is not a good thing for them. i think this is one of the drivers behind the manufacturers trying to look down their phones.
- i am never getting rid of my OG. well at least not until the dual cores come out and even then i'm waiting until a dual core phone is rooted and custom roms are developed. i wont go back to having a looked down phone.

^^^ This and the fact that the Droid was around for AGES before other phones came out that offered the same experience. (Well, ages in cell phone time)

Detonation

Reaction score

I'd say less than 1% of the millions of droid users care about rooting, let a lone even know what it means. Not enough to make any significant or visible impact to those stats at all.

What I take from the news is that people bought the Droid with a 2 year contract and don't plan on upgrading until their NE2. And that the Droid has been out for almost 6 months longer than all the other phones at the top of the list, giving it a lot more time to be bought than the others.

dbst

Reaction score
I wouldn't still have my D1 if my two year contract was up

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Gkope

Reaction score
Some of us still have a year left on our commitment after buying the Droid last November. I'm not going to give Verizon full retail price for a new phone. Maybe next year I will do the upgrade every year instead of every two.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

StupidGenius

Reaction score

BhamItGeek

Reaction score
How are you going to post that

lol Wow..HOw are you guys going to post this...just after the story on the main page "Samsung Climbs to No. 1 for Android Phones in US for 12/2010" is posted?

StupidGenius

Reaction score
lol Wow..HOw are you guys going to post this...just after the story on the main page "Samsung Climbs to No. 1 for Android Phones in US for 12/2010" is posted?

Actually I'll recant what I said, I think Galaxy S is no. 1 in total overall.

But here's the huge difference. You're comparing a "line" of phones to one model, on one carrier. Galaxy S is a series of phones, on multiple carriers. It's like the iPhone vs. Android argument. It's unlikely any single Android device will outsell any iPhone model, but Android devices as a whole will outsell the iPhone.

The Motorola Droid 1, is still definitely KING!!!

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

: ) that article is talking about total Market penetration. Whole other thing.

wierdo124

Reaction score
this has already posted. i remember loling about its innacuracy. The ally is made by LG, not HTC.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Original Droid was the Game Changer and is still the Best Device Available IMO -