The Great Gun Debate

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm buying my own home soon. I'm moving to the city, and where I'm moving isn't the best place in town. It's most definitely not terrible, but I need some sort of self-defense. That said, I'm looking for a handgun. I don't want to spend any more than $400, and I'm not concerned with whether it's new or used. I'm looking for a 9mm, or possibly a .40.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You might be able to get a used Springfield for that .. I have there micro carry. If you might be able to find a used kimber for that as well. I carry a lot I prefer the kimber . Kimber is my all time favorite gun. But you should be good with anything on a 1911 frame ..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Check CDNN sports.. You can get new tauri (Taurus) for 3-400 usually.. Taurus' pt92 is a decent 9mm.. And Taurus come with a lifetime warranty.. I carry two in my trucks.. And have one in the nightstand...

Also sites like gun broker. Com has good deals new and used...

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just now read you want 9mm or .40. All I have and carry are .45

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 9mm more than anything because of ammo prices. 9mm is the cheapest round right now.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is my two cents...for what its worth. A well placed round from a smaller weapon is more effective than many rounds from a large caliber. Find a weapon that feels good in your hand, feels like you can mange it safely and effectively and fits your budget. Then practice, practice, practice. Knowing how to safely and effectively load, aim, fire, unload and clear your personal weapon is a very effective defense... regardless of what caliber you go with.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm looking for a 9mm more than anything because of ammo prices. 9mm is the cheapest round right now.

They are usually a fair priced round with a few different choices. Can't go wrong with 9MM IMHO.

fireman00

Reaction score
Find a couple of gun stores or ranges that rents pistols and try out as many as you can. Take copious notes so that you can remember what you liked/ didn't like about each gun.

Personally I'm a Glock fan. I liked the 19 from the time I picked it up. DW and I each have a Gen 4 19.

Before I bought her gun I had her shoot mine - she liked the size and feel so I had her shoot a Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig p226 and a S&W Medal (all 9mm). She wound up choosing the the 19 the best due to the placement of the slide lock, mag release and trigger action.

Its all personal preference.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Find a couple of gun stores or ranges that rents pistols and try out as many as you can. Take copious notes so that you can remember what you liked/ didn't like about each gun.

Personally I'm a Glock fan. I liked the 19 from the time I picked it up. DW and I each have a Gen 4 19.

Before I bought her gun I had her shoot mine - she liked the size and feel so I had her shoot a Glock 17, Glock 19, Sig p226 and a S&W Medal (all 9mm). She wound up choosing the the 19 the best due to the placement of the slide lock, mag release and trigger action.

Its all personal preference.
Excellent advice!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Check CDNN sports.. You can get new tauri (Taurus) for 3-400 usually.. Taurus' pt92 is a decent 9mm.. And Taurus come with a lifetime warranty.. I carry two in my trucks.. And have one in the nightstand...

Also sites like gun broker. Com has good deals new and used...

Looks if somebody is not playing.

Rambo-art.jpg

if the Predator shows up at your door you will be ready.

902001-product-thumb.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Looks if somebody is not playing.

Rambo-art.jpg

if the Predator shows up at your door you will be ready.

902001-product-thumb.jpg
Hmmmm....tough to find anything to defend against a Predator... Except "Arnold"!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I like 9mm. Mix in a couple rounds of snake shot, don't even have to aim, just point in the general direction. Won't kill but it'll stun them for the next 3 head shots.

We must...We must...increase our boost

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good luck UB!
As we say on the S3 forums....pics or it didn't happen!
J/K! Let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

Reactions: CJM
OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm sure some people will laugh, but I ended up with a Hi-Point C-9. It's heavy, and bulky, but I don't intend on carrying it. That said, I shot up at the range this morning, and it'll fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.