The good news about the Bionic being delayed

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
"The good news about the Bionic being delayed"

They need to go through and unlock all the bootloaders?

Seriously though, Aug 7th the FCC confidentiality agreement expires, so that's the only date I'm looking forward too right now, then I'll find out if Moto and Verizon get to keep me as a customer.

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
Im still not canceling my plane tickets to libertyville to d*ck punch jha in his little boy parts...steal HIS bionic and spray paint "Wait on THIS" with a mural of big heaping man meat on the wall ; ) For all this crap the bootloader should really be unlocked...

Someone needs to ask Sanjay in a public address if since this device's bootloader is locked, was it Verizon's call to lock the device? Put him in a hard place.. make him recant their statement of unlocking bootloaders...or shine a negative light on vzw, moto's biggest wireless carrier.

I agree if the bootloader is locked, there will be blood...

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i still dont get the fascination with this phone.

if its so great why aren't people at at&t knocking down doors to order an atrix?!?!?!?

you folks are straaaaaaange.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
i still dont get the fascination with this phone.

if its so great why aren't people at at&t knocking down doors to order an atrix?!?!?!?

you folks are straaaaaaange.

Because the Atrix is on ATT and I dotn want to pay a 375 ETF to Verizon? Because ATT sucks? Because the Atrix doesnt have 4G LTE? Because Im already granfathered into unlimited data on Verizon? Because the Atrix isnt the Bionic?

mjones73

Reaction score
The only people going to AT&T are iphone users, why else would you want to be on that crappy network? :D

Being sarcastic of course.

Renae

Reaction score
Well we know the reason they went from the Etna to the Targa was because it was overheating and the 4G LTE radio wasn't working properly. Those are bugs.

I guess my point is, if you're installing new hardware, it has to be tested and if it's working properly we'd be seeing some reviews from people with test units with the new hardware.

They don't just release a phone without having any outside testers use it, it's a very important part of testing.

If we're only a month away (according to the CEO) then they have to have started the final production of the phone to have enough supply once the release date hits(takes a while to make a couple million units).

Thank you! If we are looking at sept, then production runs have to have begun. I mean fab and assembly alone take time. If there were significant hardware issues I don't think we would be seeing a release in sept, hardware redesign and bug fixes take time, epsecially with process red tape, its not like you can just solder a different resistor and call it good. If anything, I would assume any delays were due to firmware and software bugs, which can easily be fixed even after production runs have been scheduled. But how can you have a delay when they never had a deadline.

Secondly we don't know the specs, hopefully we may know something aug 7th. But really, if you just keep waiting on something better you would never have a new phone....you can't live in the future. Something new is always being developed. And on top of that, of the people like me running original droids....this phone will kick its ass in performance, even if something new comes out in 4 months that is better, at least you got a faster phone with more internal storage. So what if a new pgone comes out with a 5" screen.....going from your droid 1 to a bionic is a huge upgrade. People need to be a little less negative.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wlrottge

Reaction score
Seriously though, Aug 7th the FCC confidentiality agreement expires, so that's the only date I'm looking forward too right now

I had forgotten a/b this... Interesting.

Based on info from the quarterly Moto meeting, here's my guess/take on the matter.

Etna was proposed and had initial prototypes built with somebody else’s LTE chipset. Based on the issues they had with it somebody probably said, "screw it, for all this effort/time/money we can build our own that is better".

More likely than not, Moto saw the writing on the wall and was already in the process of developing their own radio with plans to build a device (Targa). When Etna fell on it's face, it made more sense to cut their losses on Etna and move forward with Targa. As such, they had to answer to where the Bionic was, "um... well, we killed it, but... we've got this cool device in the pipe now".

I'd guess that with the decision to scrap the Etna came the delay for the Xoom b/c of a change in chipset. "If we're going to build our own b/c we're not happy with theirs, might as well migrate this project to our chip as well b/c the other chip gives us fits."

Now, the delays are probably final chipset design, fab setup and production related. How long did it take to work all the kinks out of their new chip and meet their targets for power consumption and performance? Any delays there pushed back fab setup which of course would push back device prototypes, test builds and final products. i.e. if they had a problem three months ago, it probably affected the final release date. I'd guestimate that the Targa was slated initially as a holiday 2011 release and was pushed up to fill the Bionic gap. Therefor you had to push up your timeline and finish development of new hardware; from the radio chipset all the way through to a new device.

I think if you take a step backwards and look at the situation, this is a HUGE deal for Moto and NOT b/c of the Bionic. It's a big deal b/c of the LTE radio/chipset in the bionic. If it comes out thinner/smaller, better reception and power consumption... Heck with selling a device, they're looking at selling that chip/patent to Samsung, HTC, Apple..... The profits there will make anything they make off of this one device seem like pennies. They will point to the performance of the device as a major selling point. If I were a gambler, I'd be more likely to bet on this being the 4460 processor with their radio, but underclocked to 1.2/3 ish. I have NO basis of fact or inside knowledge on this, just a hunch based on other Moto Droids that I've owned and other news tidbits.

It does not make waiting any easier, but...

BlacknTan

Reaction score
People are negative because they are disappointed and frustrated. It's been a long road for those of us waiting for the Bionic. We've gone from an April release date to September. That's an awful long time to wait, and I don't think Moto has handled the delays particularly well from a public relations standpoint.

Yes, it's not their fault that an unofficial August release was reported. I don't blame them for that. But it is frustrating that they told us the phone would be out in "Summer", and they aren't releasing it until September. Technically it's still summer until the autumn equinox, but most people don't think of September as a "Summer" month.

Moto is extremely lucky that no one else has come out with a dual-core LTE phone for verizon. If the Galaxy S2 ships with LTE, I think the Bionic might be in trouble. I was a big Moto fan due to the build quality of my droid and my wife's Droid x, but their handling of these delays has really put me off to them. If I had another option for a dual-core LTE phone, I would definitely buy one at this point.

Renae

Reaction score
People are negative because they are disappointed and frustrated. It's been a long road for those of us waiting for the Bionic. We've gone from an April release date to September. That's an awful long time to wait, and I don't think Moto has handled the delays particularly well from a public relations standpoint.

Yes, it's not their fault that an unofficial August release was reported. I don't blame them for that. But it is frustrating that they told us the phone would be out in "Summer", and they aren't releasing it until September. Technically it's still summer until the autumn equinox, but most people don't think of September as a "Summer" month.

Oh I 100% agree with you on this, I think its a complete crap move to not give a release date and call september a summer month....that is stupid. I also agree that this phone has been waited on for a long time and moto should have given loyal customers info. I was merely saying that a dual core lte phone with a pretty big screen when you have a droid 1 isn't anything to sneeze at. It'll be a pretty big upgrade.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Lanops

Reaction score
Because the Atrix is on ATT and I dotn want to pay a 375 ETF to Verizon? Because ATT sucks? Because the Atrix doesnt have 4G LTE? Because Im already granfathered into unlimited data on Verizon? Because the Atrix isnt the Bionic?

That enough reasons for you there slick?

LOLdancedroid

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would the profit from a patent from putting a Moto 4G LTE radio in a Samsung duel core phone outweigh the lost profit from people buying said Samsung phone over a Moto phone?

I.e. If Moto did develop a smaller 4g LTE radio/antenna that would fit in say, the GS2 and which is why Engineer keeps saying that the DB will be out before the GS2, because Moto wants theirs to be the first on the market, but shortly there after, Samsung is able to release their own duel-core 4g LTE phone... would Moto care about the mass move to GS2 because it would still be making money on every phone from patent profits....

That ended up being a rather scatter thought process, but you get the picture...

wlrottge

Reaction score
Oh I 100% agree with you on this, I think its a complete crap move to not give a release date and call september a summer month....that is stupid. I also agree that this phone has been waited on for a long time and moto should have given loyal customers info. I was merely saying that a dual core lte phone with a pretty big screen when you have a droid 1 isn't anything to sneeze at. It'll be a pretty big upgrade.

I think this falls under two categories, "sh%t happens" and "it's always better to under promise then over deliver than..."

They're a technology company. Giving out a bunch of data in advance of the release would be like showing your cards while playing poker. I expect this is going to be a big weapon in the "war" against apple. I'd also bet there are some testers and engineers who are sitting on their hands dying to talk a/b it. Given the lack of leaks, I figure they put a gun to their head with the NDA.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I think this falls under two categories, "sh%t happens" and "it's always better to under promise then over deliver than..."

They're a technology company. Giving out a bunch of data in advance of the release would be like showing your cards while playing poker. I expect this is going to be a big weapon in the "war" against apple. I'd also bet there are some testers and engineers who are sitting on their hands dying to talk a/b it. Given the lack of leaks, I figure they put a gun to their head with the NDA.

+1... I completely agree with this... I can just picture engineer900 holding his test unit shouting at his computer screen at all of the the pessimism