The good news about the Bionic being delayed

wlrottge

Reaction score
I really have work I need to do, lol, but... I get tired of reading, "screw moto, sgs2... blah blah blah" nonsense. "We" enthusiasts are a small fraction of the market. Important, BUT small.

Would the profit from a patent from putting a Moto 4G LTE radio in a Samsung duel core phone outweigh the lost profit from people buying said Samsung phone over a Moto phone?

Potentially. The way I look at it, the Bionic is a one-carrier device. It probably won't go world wide like the SGS2 is. It might/probably won't go to ATT either, so how many devices will they really sell in total?

If the SGS2 does by some miracle (doubt it) have a moto derived LTE radio in it, they get paid as well. This isn't a one device life cycle issue. LTE is the way of the world for the next 10+(?) years. How many chips, how many devices will be sold by them in that time?

I.e. If Moto did develop a smaller 4g LTE radio/antenna that would fit in say, the GS2 and which is why Engineer keeps saying that the DB will be out before the GS2, because Moto wants theirs to be the first on the market, but shortly there after, Samsung is able to release their own duel-core 4g LTE phone... would Moto care about the mass move to GS2 because it would still be making money on every phone from patent profits....

That is a question that will probably never be answered b/c we will never know what the profit margin on a Bionic or an LTE radio chipset is. Since the technology for this radio will be capable of running on all LTE systems (just different frequencies), that is a world-wide market, not just one carrier. Expand that thought to China, Europe, India. We (the US) are small potatos.

Assume they make $10/Bionic, but only $1 per LTE radio. They sell a million bionics, but they sell the LTE radio to HTC, Samsung, Etc. Put that in context with the fact that the SGS2 has sold 5 million units to date and is not available in the US yet.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The whole Moto making their own LTE chip has some interesting theories. I didnt wanna bring up the GS2 probably having LTE...but its also possible for it to have one made by Moto. I wonder what LTE chip does the Galaxy S 10.1 have? Gotta search for a teardown soon...

Ppl gotta remember the GS2 is a very thin phone. But....with the possible GS2 slider coming out, I can see the GS2 being LTE on Verizon and being a lil thicker if it has to be.

Like last year, exciting times if you are in the market for a new phone...

mike02vr6

Reaction score
oh wait...you can't get an at&t phone on the vzw network?
thank god for bendystraw....dork

rhokaln

Reaction score

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are going to be any changes to the Bionic as it is built right now...if there were it would only postpone the release that much more.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there are going to be any changes to the Bionic as it is built right now...if there were it would only postpone the release that much more.

We are not talking about "new changes" we are talking about features that have been there all along that have been kept under wraps...