The Eris, one year later

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So it was a year ago that I started noticing the Verizon commercials about the Moto Droid, and then they would briefly mention the HTC Droid Eris. I knew a lot about the Droid from some coworkers that had them, but knew nothing about the Eris.

Mid-December I went to the Verizon store. I got my hands on both phones. While I liked the Droid, I fell in love with the Eris. First, I have no need for a real keyboard. My hands were too big and clumsy to properly use the one on the Droid anyway. Second, I love the fact that the Eris was lighter and more compact.

We ordered our (wife and I) Eris on Dec. 23rd with free overnight shipping. On December 24th, Christmas Eve, we received them and began using them.

Nearly a full year later I am happy to report that we still love our Eris. Here are some facts:

- Both my wife and I have our original handsets. We haven't had to get a replacement.
- My wife had to reset her Eris to factory settings one time in the last year. I have done a handful of times, mostly to try things.
- My wife's Eris is still stock. Mine is rooted and flashed.
- With the tips and tricks from this site we have been satisfied with the performance and feel of our Eris.
- I did have a period of a few weeks this past summer where I was starting to hate my phone, until I found that my SetCPU settings had been wiped and that is why my phone was unstable! After fixing those it has been smooth sailing.

So what has your experience been? I know that these forums tend to get the people with problems more than the people that are happy, so please post if you have had a good experience!

mrtubz69

Reaction score
I did! It wasn't enoughs power for me so upgraded, but great durable fone

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

mamawm

Reaction score
i've still got mine. got it on 12/05 last year. still not rooted, but will probably do that in the next week or two. i was just to chicken to do it before the warranty ran out. i did have to have it replaced once, wasnt receiving calls. but i'm still having fun. just finished putting christmas wall paper and ringtone on for the holidays.

denakisland

Reaction score
Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
I love mine, however am itching to get my hands on the Incredible.

I just had my original replaced (last week) because of a few out-of-the-box issues that I just never really addressed. The new one seems to be better and I still love my "phone."
I have played around with roms and am in the process of rooting the new phone just so I can get rid of the garbage I will never, ever use.
I got my phone at the end of January, so while it hasn't quite been a year, it's fairly close! I didn't even last 9 months with the Blackberry!

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I'm leaving it. Sorry guys. :D But hey, a new droid is calling my name. Check out Tazz Vanilla over at XDA, great Rom.

xianbei

Reaction score
I must say that I was very disappointed when Verizon stopped supporting the Eris. That being said, I wasn't able to appreciate the power of the phone until I bit the bullet and rooted and installed Nonsensikal 13.2 - very good release!

scajjr

Reaction score
I've had my Eris for a year now and have to say I wish I hadn't bought it. I may try rooting and flashing it. Phone signal strength is about half of what my Samsung Gleam was. I find the touch screen response very erratic no matter how many times I have recalibrated.
It's turned me off to smartphones so much I'm probably just going to get a regular phone when this contract is up next year. Paying $168/mo for 2 phones w/data plans is ridiculous.

Sam

eriscrazy

Reaction score
i have had my Eris for a year now as well and for the most part it has been a great phone. yea the signal strength is terrible, and not being supported by verizon sucks to. but i have had no major issues out of the phone. i also falt the same way when verizon did the OTA update to 2.1 because the phone went from being fast a responsive to being very slow and laggy. i thought about going back to a reg phone myself but no matter what i think i KNOW ill miss android. but in the end i rooted my Eris and flashed 2.2 on it and the phone has been perfect. but im stilll going to upgrade to the Droid X :D

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am going to upgrade too! Our corporate program allows a new every 2 every 21 months. So come August I will get the hottest Android phone available.

Toyed with the idea of Windows Phone 7, but nah!

eriscrazy

Reaction score
you know I did to but the windows phones just dont appeal to me at all. its hard to live up to the droid operating system lol

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App