The Droid is truly AMAZING!

Seawolf

Reaction score
This week the Wife and I drove up to NC from Florida for Christmas vacation with the inlaws.
We just purchased new Droids with our contract renewal a couple weeks ago so the touch screen phone thing is still new to me.

To make a long story short this thing is truly amazing and probably the single most useful piece of electronics I have ever had.

My Wife purchased the car dock so we could use the GPS on the phone, which BTW is freakin awsome!, and while we were driving up I thought to myself it sure would be nice to listen to pandora through the phone on the car stereo.
I unplugged the RCA jack from the back of the Sirius player and plugged it into my DROID.
Low and behold I was listening to Pandora through my Droid into my car stereo and running the GPS at the same time.

Now here comes the real kicker. While driving along listening to pandora and watching the GPS I get a phone call from my dad and the damn thing automatically mutes the music for me to answer the phone. I answer it and I can hear my dad through the car speakers. I switch back to the GPS with the phone running in the background and we talk for a few minutes.

After the call it automatically switches back to pandora and I can hear the music again.
The same thing happens when the *****in betty, GPS lady, needs to give some directions. The music will mute while she speaks so you can here what she is saying. You can also set the volume for the GPS and Music independantly.

This is probably already known by some, but for me I have never seen a phone do this so it really blew me away.

I just wanted to share my experience for others to try with their Droid.

FYI- We drove from Tampa to Waynesville NC and not once lost signal or our 3G connection. Bravo to Verizon.

boatman2220

Reaction score
Sounds as if you might like the Droid. Actually you're still on the doorsteps to what it can do. Open the door and go inside to see all the other cool stuff. LOL
A few more updates and as the apps in Market grow, more and more will be possible. Have fun and enjoy it.

General_Lee86

Reaction score
I know I'll be calling verizon tomorrow after X-Mas and see if I can upgrade now because I am 20 months into my contract though My upgrade date is 2/17/2010. I went into the store and tried but wouldn't let me and I was told if you try over the phone they will be more likely to let you do it. I want the droid really bad because I am really sick of my old V325 it getting old and starting to have sound issues when you dial and I know it's not the cell servuce thats for sure.

Droids

Reaction score
... this thing is truly amazing and probably the single most useful piece of electronics I have ever had.
^^ This

Exactly how feel about it. I am still discovering new things and am continously amazed by everything it can do, and to think it's only going to get better...
:icon_ banana:

lemodular

Reaction score
thanks for sharing. Nice to hear good news instead of the rants. I am curious however, since CDMA does not do data and voice at the same time, were you able to update your map as you drove and talked? The downloaded map probably is large enough to keep you in range, but I wonder what happens if you drove out of the map's range while talking on the phone. That's the main reason your Pandora app paused/muted; no data stream.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I am curious however, since CDMA does not do data and voice at the same time, were you able to update your map as you drove and talked? The downloaded map probably is large enough to keep you in range, but I wonder what happens if you drove out of the map's range while talking on the phone. That's the main reason your Pandora app paused/muted; no data stream.
Once the route is loaded at start-up it's fine.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Goot stop trolling......

The Moto Droid I find to be the best device on the market. It is produced by Motorola NOT Google [I'd never consider a Nexus phone] and is in a generation of phones in which Google has not infiltrated the market beyond return. Next generation in 4G I would gladly switch over to an improved Blackberry OS device or WinMobile if they can improve what they have...I would consider an Android device as long as it does not become a Google device.

I like to keep Android and Google separate regardless if Google controls it. Google, in this generation, has not infiltrated enough of the apps to make every phone a Google Phone...so I am very happy with my Droid.

luckmylife

Reaction score
To the OP,

WOW I really really really want mine now! That woulda been really great to have while driving from NC (Orange County) to Florida to set sail for a cruise couple weeks ago. I'm sick of my Tomtom, that voice drives me crazy. I dunno what happened on the trip but it kept saying, "Turn left, turn left, turn left" like five times in a row and I wanted to hit it.

P.S. - On my BB Curve, I didn't loose service either. Hoorah Verizon

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
... this thing is truly amazing and probably the single most useful piece of electronics I have ever had.
^^ This

Exactly how feel about it. I am still discovering new things and am continously amazed by everything it can do, and to think it's only going to get better...
:icon_ banana:

couldn't agree more with this.

I just got the car dock for christmas so gonna be using it just for kicks now!:icon_ banana:

bbtkd

Reaction score
I know I'll be calling verizon tomorrow after X-Mas and see if I can upgrade now because I am 20 months into my contract though My upgrade date is 2/17/2010. I went into the store and tried but wouldn't let me and I was told if you try over the phone they will be more likely to let you do it. I want the droid really bad because I am really sick of my old V325 it getting old and starting to have sound issues when you dial and I know it's not the cell servuce thats for sure.

I got a Droid the first day they were out and my son wanted one though he was not due until April. I went into a company store, told them I'd like an early upgrade for his line. The manager checked the computer and said they could not do anything because I get a corporate discount. So - what do you do when one parent says no? I went to another store, this one was an independent dealer which just opened and was not busy. I told them the situation, they looked online, then called two places at Verizon - first asking for an early upgrade, and failing that they requested an early upgrade on another line which is due in February. No go. So - plan B.

We activated a new line for the new Droid, and took an old phone we had and transferred my son's old line from his crackberry to the old phone, and dropped the data plan. We couldn't drop data on his crackberry, hence the need for the old phone. We got the Droid for $180 after rebate, and then we have to pay $10/mo for the extra line until April - when we drop it. We partially offset that $10 by opting for a different insurance plan that is $3/mo cheaper (saving $72 over two years) - and better than Asurion. So - another option if you can't get an early upgrade is to activate a new line. If you want, you can switch the phone numbers so your Droid has your old number.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
we just did the same thing... drove up from tampa to atlanta and did not loose a 3g connection at all.... i was able to have my phone in the car dock using the GPS while listening to streming music via stream furious while i wirelessly tethered my laptop for some internet browsing.

efifng love this phone.

i have integrated GPS in my car and the phone took me on a better route that took almost 40 minutes off the trip..

so the score:
Droid GPS - 1
Audi GPS - 0

General_Lee86

Reaction score

I got a Droid the first day they were out and my son wanted one though he was not due until April. I went into a company store, told them I'd like an early upgrade for his line. The manager checked the computer and said they could not do anything because I get a corporate discount. So - what do you do when one parent says no? I went to another store, this one was an independent dealer which just opened and was not busy. I told them the situation, they looked online, then called two places at Verizon - first asking for an early upgrade, and failing that they requested an early upgrade on another line which is due in February. No go. So - plan B.

We activated a new line for the new Droid, and took an old phone we had and transferred my son's old line from his crackberry to the old phone, and dropped the data plan. We couldn't drop data on his crackberry, hence the need for the old phone. We got the Droid for $180 after rebate, and then we have to pay $10/mo for the extra line until April - when we drop it. We partially offset that $10 by opting for a different insurance plan that is $3/mo cheaper (saving $72 over two years) - and better than Asurion. So - another option if you can't get an early upgrade is to activate a new line. If you want, you can switch the phone numbers so your Droid has your old number.
I called them real early yesterday morning and was able to get mine moved up by 2 months to yesterday and I ordered yesterday early morning with overnight shipping and should be here monday or tuesday and all I have is myself pn my plan thankfully so it will just add 29.99 on top of my 39.99 a month I already pay! Can't wait till' I recieve it!