Car and the Droid

schellbl

Reaction score
All -
My car isn't blue tooth ready and no auxillary jack in the stereo. How is everyone listening to pandora (and other apps) over the car stereo? I tried searching but can't find anything.

Brian

Another_Dude

Reaction score
You would need a FM transmitter (around $10-$15 from Walmart, BB, etc). You plug it into your headphone jack and it will transmit the audio over FM to a station you select on your radio.

This method works, but the audio quality wouldn't be described as "incredible".

Reaction score
These are very staticy, will drain your battery more quickly, and some are known to overheat and fail quickly.

DHood

Reaction score
I have one of those and stopped using it because of the static, I'm getting ready to get a new car deck and a cord to plug into the aux jack and gonna start using it again. Can't wait :)

MarkB

Reaction score
I love my Jabra SP700. I have an aux port and it's all set up to use, but for shorter trips the combination of speaker phone and FM transmitter is great. The sound quality isn't quite as good as using the aux port, but it's pretty dang close. Your mileage may vary if you live in an area without any unused frequencies to tune it (and your car stereo) to. I've had it for a year now though, used it with my previous phone too, and never any problems or surprises with it.

JABRA SP700 - speaker phone

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I bought an aftermarket radio for $140 that had bluetooth, aux, and usb inputs

dt137

Reaction score
Use the AUX...hook up in the back of your car stereo and your good!..Heres a pic below
CB00_A1.jpg

Murz

Reaction score
You could get some over-ear stereo Bluetooth headphones. Over-ear so you can still hear everything going on outside your car, like sirens ect...

I purchased the MOTOROKR S305's for about $25 (on sale) from verizon.com. They have worked great for listening to Pandora in my car, and have a mic so you can still make/receive calls.

REMilk

Reaction score
Static

These are very staticy, will drain your battery more quickly, and some are known to overheat and fail quickly.

I have one of these devices. It works flawlessly in three cars I have used it; these are a Ford Windstar van (after vehicle fix), a PT Cruiser, and a Honda Element.

There were a couple of rental cars that there was a lot of static. I do not believe that these devices cause the static, but are influenced by the quality of the vehicle's electrical/charging system. Frequently this static is caused by one of the following;

a. Insufficient ground within the vehicle's electrical/charging system (Initially, I had this problem with the Windstar, just installing two additional ground straps, battery (-) to engine and battery(-) to car body solved the problem.)
b. Insufficient shielding of the vehicle's electrical/charging system

Improving the ground and installing a loopback isolator for the vehicle radio/sound system should correct the static problems.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Just... get a new car head unit. Improved sound quality, better performance, and more features. They're not that expensive either, you can find one for less then what the Droid cost. Might I suggest a JVC KDHDR50(or 60) with HD radio? About $150. I love mine :)

crawil

Reaction score
My car is 10 years old and has a cassette player along with a CD. I'm using the cassette adapter plugged into the headphone jack on the Droid. The sound quality is great!

OP
S

schellbl

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have tape deck and a cd player in my car. I have a 99 mustang cobra and I don't want to change out the stuff in it. Want to keep it all factory. Where did you find the cassette adapter plugg in crawil.

crawil

Reaction score
Picked it up at Radio Shack ($14.99). I've also seen it at Wal-Mart and Target. Since it's wired, there is no interference!

schollianmj

Reaction score
I got mine runig via BT through my JVC stereo. great sound quality... but the ringer blasting through my amps and speakers is a bit much!! :)

Hey shelb.. check out moddedMustangs.com... there are quite a few knowledgeable people over there (Such as wraitherlx) who can help you out. there is a way to get an aux in on the factory deck. when I first got my 02 GT three years ago I did it that way for a while... just dont remember how off the top of my noggin.

Last edited: