The Droid has been Rooted!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
is there a recovery zip for if you choose to un-root the droid? or do you just re install the update?

fezdlc

Reaction score
Thats a good question, if we root the phone can we unroot the phone?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i think u guys should read the root FAQ post on here...u might find ur answer to the unrooting thing

Gear_Jammer_Hank

Reaction score
1st off a special "THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK :lifting: :rating10: :clap: " to the Person or Team of Persons that accomplished this amazing feat is such short time. Your time and concern are (or will be) appreciated by Most All Droid Users. 2nd....I think I will wait to attack the whole "Root" idea for sadly to say I fall into the -or will be- category of Droid users :icon_ nono2: . The Moto Droid is my 1st droid phone and I haven't quite been able to do the research on how it works like I was able to with my Blackberries (had them for 3 years) :biggrin: . So for me time will tell......

Thanks Again,
Hank

fezdlc

Reaction score
So where do I find this file or program to be able to root my phone?

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I'm thinking that root access might be handy for
<Dr. Evil pinky> Adding "127.0.0.1 admob.com" to the hosts file </Dr.Evil pinky>
I'm curious if that would block all that adware from spamming me when using the "free" software.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
Also wondering if the 2.0.1 update didn't fix the exploit that was used to root... Anyone find that out before I accidentally brick my device?

Stigy

Reaction score
I'm thinking that root access might be handy for
<Dr. Evil pinky> Adding "127.0.0.1 admob.com" to the hosts file </Dr.Evil pinky>
I'm curious if that would block all that adware from spamming me when using the "free" software.
After rooting there is a program called AdFree that does exactly what you are talking about.

It downloads a modified HOSTS file and redirects all ads to 127.0.0.1 and it works REALLY well.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
After rooting there is a program called AdFree that does exactly what you are talking about.

It downloads a modified HOSTS file and redirects all ads to 127.0.0.1 and it works REALLY well.

Waaaaayyyy Cool... Now I just gotta build up the courage to risk rooting :)

boostdscoob

Reaction score
the only risk in this one, is not knowing what your doing. very simple method. download, rename, restart in recovery and install. nothing to it, and the only issues are with your battery dying, or you pulling the battery out. otherwise its foolproof. make sure you have the whole file. if your even slightly hesitant, dont do it.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I did the manual update to 2.0.1 and this appears basically the same so I know I can do it I just wonder if, a year from now, they will pull an "Apple" and spank anyone with the exploit.

From what I can tell these patches just have a script that mounts the /system file system and copies files to it. If the "recovery console" has root access wouldn't we be able to build your own zip files with (for example) an /etc/hosts file in it and just pretend its an update? This might give you temporary root access without a full fledged phone hack.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
From what I can tell these patches just have a script that mounts the /system file system and copies files to it. If the "recovery console" has root access wouldn't we be able to build your own zip files with (for example) an /etc/hosts file in it and just pretend its an update? This might give you temporary root access without a full fledged phone hack.

Take a look at the AllDroid posting that the OP linked to. Essentially the root exploit (as I understand it) takes advantage of a small error in the signature checking mechanism which is supposed to make sure that only 'official' signed updates are installed. The error means that it doesn't notice a sufficiently small additional package inserted into the signed package.