The dangers of overclocking the Motorola Droid?

Reaction score
I've had my Motorola Droid rooted and overclocked now for a while, It's always been at 800MHz, a friend of mine who works at Verizon told me it should never go past 800MHz because you highly risk frying the phone, but I've seen a lot of people lately who have their Motorola droid at 1GHz+ with no problems, what are the risks of putting your Motorola droid past 1GHz, and what precautions should i take before making the jump to 1GHz?

TLDR; What precautions do i want to take before overclocking my Motorola Droid to 1GHz+, and whats the worst thing that would happen?

Thanks for the help!

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing to be worried about, one thing though just set it up so while not in use it dials back to 250 or so. Whats the point of having it run 1000 while in your pocket. If your phone reboots after the change in settings just go back to 800 not all Droid 1 are built equal.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
*22899 is correct. You set up profiles for your phone so that it doesn't run a 125 % all the time. When my D2 is sleeping it's running at 400 but when the screen is active I run it at 125. Now that's not too much faster then normal for a D2, and I've seen a lot of people run their d1 at 125. Just balance out your profiles so when it's sleeping it like 300.

Last edited:

geoff5093

Reaction score
*22899 is correct. You set up profiles for your phone so that it doesn't run a 125 % all the time. When my D2 is sleeping it's running at 400 but when the screen is active I run it at 125. Now that's not too much faster then normal for a D2, and I've seen a lot of people run their d1 at 125. Just balance out your profiles so when it's sleeping it like 300.
You must mean 1250 right? Because running it at 125MHz is insanely slow.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine who works at Verizon told me it should never go past 800MHz because you highly risk frying the phone
Your friend needs to read up on binning.

What's safe depends on the specific device. While one specific processor may be fin at 1.2GHz (or whatever) that doesn't mean that all processors are. It also doesn't mean that there's an arbitrary 800MHz safe point.

whats the worst thing that would happen?
You have problems and have to clock it at a lower speed.

KrazeeMyke

Reaction score
125 %

You must mean 1250 right? Because running it at 125MHz is insanely slow.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bassic83

Reaction score
If you re-read hookbill's post, in the 2nd sentence he refers to 125 %. When sleeping, it is running at 400MHz, then later, he refers to another sleeping profile around 300 MHz. AFAIK, if you somehow managed to getit down to 125, you'd likely see it grind to a halt, as 250 MHz is as low as I can clock mine.

Another thing to remember is that you would do well to get a low-voltage kernel, I'm running a ChevyNo1 ULV kernel, running it at ultra-low voltage, but 1.1GHz speed when active. My sleep profile ramps down to 250MHz, and ramps up as needed to a max of 1.1GHz. Do a little research on what happens when you just plain overclock without reducing voltage, you'll find that things smooth out some when you reduce voltage (less heat, less battery usage). Hope that helps!

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Yup, i'm running a D1 with Slayher 1.1 kernel and down to 250 when screen is off. Great battery life and never issues. It rarely heats up when i use the Navi but that happened also with the stock kernel.

myriad46

Reaction score
I ran a kernel that went down to 125 MHz when at rest, without a problem for along time. Several devs have kernels that go this low, if your Droid can handle it.