Returning HTC Droid Incredible, going back to the Motorola Droid.

thacrownprince

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Droid-ers,

I just wanted to tell people who are on the fence about making the switch to the Droid Incredible what made me switch back to the Motorola Droid. So I've had my Droid since launch day (November 2009) and I've had my Droid Incredible since last Thursday (4.29.2010), which was also launch day. I have decided that I am going to return my Droid Incredible and save my upgrade for a future phone (Droid 2, anyone???) because I feel that going from a Droid to a Droid Incredible was not that much of an update.

:reddroid:Things that I like about the Incredible was:heart::

*The speed out of the box. It's amazingly fast. The Droid comes close (once you root it, overclock and install some custom roms).

*8 MP Camera (which was very impressive and much better than the Droid's 5 MP Camera).

*512 MB RAM (doubling the RAM of the Droid, it definitely helps).

*8 GB Internal Memory (have as many applications as you want)

*HTC Sense UI was much better than I expected, but I prefer custom roms. With Sense UI, the out of the box experience does feel more polished. If I was to buy a phone today, I would have to probably pick the Incredible. However, the reasons why I am returning the phone is because it isn't much of an upgrade in my opinion.

dancedroidThings that I've really miss about the Droid are:heart::

*The heavy duty feel (although the Incredible doesn't feel cheap like some people suggested, I just prefer the heavy metal heft).

*Physical keyboard - I prefer the touch keyboard, but sometimes you like the option of the physical keyboard, I know I shouldn't be doing this, but texting while driving, you really miss the physical keyboard because you can touch type and not have to look at the phone.

*Root access (I know the Incredible might be rooted in due time, but you really miss it). Not being able to have custom ROMs, tethering capabilities and overclocking the CPU (which of course with a snapdragon processor on the Incredible, you probably won't have to do so much of).

So in conclusion,
1) An average person that doesn't want to bother with rooting, installing custom ROMs, overclocking and what not, the Incredible is a hands down the better choice.

2) If you don't have the Motorola Droid and been waiting and holding out for the Nexus One and your choices are the Motorola Droid or Droid Incredible, then I would probably recommend the Incredible as well.

3)However, if you're like me, who already have the Motorola Droid, already rooted, installed a custom rom (Bugless Beast 1.0 shout out!) then I would recommend saving the upgrade and also the 200 dollars (Mother's Day is on Sunday, don't forget to buy her something nice) for something that is more of an upgrade (Droid 2 speculations are starting up, 4.3 inch screen? 1 GHZ Snapdragon Processor? 512 MB RAM, 8 MP Camera? 720P Video Recording? Option of using a physical keyboard? Handstrap, so you can wear the phone like a wristlet as a fashion statement? I am jk about the last part). Cause at this rate, in a few months, you will regret doing this incremental update. Thanks for reading, have a good day. Cheers!

pyro6128

Reaction score
Welcome back! Thats actually a very good point about the incremental update, as opposed to just waiting for something better to come about. The only plus I saw to the Incredible was the camera, and having the extra internal memory. But since I'm not a professional photog, and have a very nice digi cam anyway, thats not really a concern. Plus you can't actually use the full 8g of internal memory for apps. I think you can only use like 512 or something. So that isn't really much of an upside. Basically it comes down to, do you want to waste an upgrade or money for that matter on a better camera, which you didn't. And I wouldn't either. The droid 2 and or shadow, now those are going to be some beasts. Can't wait!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i don't blame you one bit!! now that i've seen how many new android phones are about to be released...i don't feel jealous anymore lol. i have a feeling some ppl are gonna regret wasting their ne2

msuperbauer

Reaction score
Where can I see all the new android phones about to be released?? Isn't there like 8 new ones coming this year?

huskur

Reaction score
Right on OP!! Not to mention that the so called "droid2" should be wifi N capable and also have 4G compatibility for the rollout. I see the droid2 coming out and then 4G shortly after.

Not to mention.....the incredible is not much of an upgrade, like others said.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right on OP!! Not to mention that the so called "droid2" should be wifi N capable and also have 4G compatibility for the rollout. I see the droid2 coming out and then 4G shortly after.

The current Droid isn't? Because mine works (sometimes) with a wireless N network but there are issues.

pilot25

Reaction score
The best time to upgrade is when the next android phone has a version not compatible with the Moto Droid. When version 2.xx or 3.00 comes out and the Moto can't handle the latest and greatest it's time to dump it.

Reaction score
I am not rooted LOVED the MOT Droid but the reason i love the Incredible better to name a few is:

-a real camera
- exchange support
-music on the lock screen
-NO LAG EVER
- 7 home screens [no home replacements to deal with]
-optical mouse
-fm radio [although it doesnt work too well]
-size & weight

having said this i am only a few days in and i have 30

what i dont like is i feel it syncs slower then the Mot :(

Last edited:

ZBoater

Reaction score
I went to the store to see the Incredible, and I was impressed. It was snappier than my Droid, even OCed to 1200MHz. But I agree with the OP. I would have to pay full retail for the Incredible, and it is just not enough of an upgrade. For $50 maybe. For $200 (or $550 in my case), ummmmm, no.

:D

JCo352

Reaction score

The current Droid isn't? Because mine works (sometimes) with a wireless N network but there are issues.

The Moto Droid doesn't have N, only b/g. The reason your Droid runs off of your N router, is because the router also transmits b/g.

jdk2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1103
I did the same. Bought it on launch day, tried it and found it not enough of an upgrade to keep it. It seems well made though still feels cheap or at least not as substantial. Then there's the issue of Android updates. With Sense, it'll take a while for any updates to be pushed. It's still a nice phone and as stated, anyone needing an upgrade from a dumb phone should seriously consider the Incredible.

electric turd

Reaction score
I am not rooted LOVED the MOT Droid but the reason i love the Incredible better to name a few is:

-a real camera
:(

LOL, real camera in a phone? Thats funny. I'll take my REAL dslr any day of the week over the "camera" in any phone. Camera's in phone's are crap period.

Reaction score

-a real camera
:(

LOL, real camera in a phone? Thats funny. I'll take my REAL dslr any day of the week over the "camera" in any phone. Camera's in phone's are crap period.

Honestly for catching spontaneous moments of the kids playing or running etc... which the MOT could never do and not having to carry a ten lbs gorilla around [dslr] or even another device.

Guess what its INCREDIBLE not too ;)

OP
T

thacrownprince

Reaction score
The best time to upgrade is when the next android phone has a version not compatible with the Moto Droid. When version 2.xx or 3.00 comes out and the Moto can't handle the latest and greatest it's time to dump it.

Good advice. Made me feel even better about my decision. Also I did forget to mention as another person who replied to this thread brought up. Sense UI is going to delay release of new versions of Android OS to be release. We got impatient that the Motorola Droid 2.1 update was delayed. HTC Droid Eris and HTC Hero are still waiting for a 2.1 update when there are talks about the 2.2 update coming up (like allowing apps to be installed to the micro sd card and updating multiple applications at the same time). dancedroid

amurfield

Reaction score
Well, the reason I upgraded at full price to the Incredible was my Motorola Droid would fail on me. I had to remove the battery 4 times to try to make a phone call. I was texting on 4/27/10 and it restated twice on its own. I actually put my Droid down and bought the Samsung omni ii which is a big disappointment after droid. But I finally picked up the Droid again and rooted it, trying bb 8, bb 9, smoked glass 6.1, Droid 1, finally liked ud 9.8 and eventually ud 10 which was fast and with new 125ghz kernel, plus com 360 rotation (shout out) and that is when the phone restarted twice. I wanted Motorola because of the physical keyboard but with the HTC virtual key board which I had on the Motorola, virtual on HTC Incredible is great, quick and easy. Not sure about other users but I like the reliability of the HTC Incredible over the Motorola Droid. That is what is most important to me. Everyone at work is going to Motorola Droid and I am the only one with Incredible. Plus I like the standard browser with flash that almost works on all websites, plus copy and magnify and some other features. Texting is great with slideit and the beta swipe too. Still have Motorola Droid but happily not checking daily for new Roms and updating when I find one to see if and how well it works. Incredible for me.