[ROM] The CM7 Gingerbread ROM (CM4D2-GB) is now ready for prime time!

missionman

Reaction score
See, you went wrong when you rooted after the sbf. You added a step that wasn't there. If you add steps, things sometimes get broken. Sounds like you're rooted now though, so all you need to do now is download the CM zip, bootstrap, and flash the zip in the recovery console.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Well what happened was i rooted before the SBF not after.
See, after the stock flash, the superuser icon and busybox still remained in my file directory. How? i duno.. So then my Son updated it OTA and that worked fine but busybox and superuser still remained again. So when I tried rooting it wouldnt work because the exploit was leaving old files intact and not overwriting. The exploits bypass something if it looks like its there so i opened Command prompt in the folder where the adb.exe was and told the adb.exe setup a removal script first then rooting continued with its process.. Thanks for putting up with my newb user experience LOL

AND heres some important info for all the other noobs out there reading this: before i flashed my CM7 i ran a backup of my current OTA GB 2.3.3 ROM, I flashed CM7, wiped the cache, then rebooted, got stuck in a boot cycle, went back into recovery, did a factory reset, rebooted and it went to the CM7 activate screen :biggrin: no need to go back to option #1 in the thread here. Try this first. If the bootcycle doesn't go away after factory reset then its back to option #1. ROOT ONLY AFTER YOUR OTA VERIZON GINGERBREAD UPDATE TO 2.3.3, NOT BEFORE. IF YOURE ROOTED BEFORE YOUR STOCK ROM FLASH, UNROOT IT OR YOU WILL RUN INTO ROOTING ISSUES LIKE I DID.

By the way, Cyanogenmod 7 is AWESOME! my god there are so many settings and tweaks! its lighting fast!!! ALL bloatware is gone! NOT ONE VERIZON THING REMAINS! im happy as hell! dancedroid Im gonna donate to those guys. thats some goOod Gingerbread :happy3: ----& much thanks to you Havens1515!

Last edited:

missionman

Reaction score
I might as well start eating those words right now!

LOL no it wasnt a sarcatic post. im just a noob learning stuff. pretty excited now that i got CM7 on my droid 2. this ROM is very nice! but where is market at? no market app??

--------nevermind, i forgot to install gapps LOL my bad..

Last edited:

lizard

Reaction score
LOL no it wasnt a sarcatic post. im just a noob learning stuff. pretty excited now that i got CM7 on my droid 2. this ROM is very nice! but where is market at? no market app??

--------nevermind, i forgot to install gapps LOL my bad..

Sorry for trying to steer you wrong earlier on in the thread. The file you were directed to by Haven1515 is a bit after my time. There was a monster GB leak file people were flashing back when I rommed my phone, and I was told you couldn't get to CM7 with it. Glad you stuck with it and got it done though. Congrats.

missionman

Reaction score
Sorry for trying to steer you wrong earlier on in the thread. The file you were directed to by Haven1515 is a bit after my time. There was a monster GB leak file people were flashing back when I rommed my phone, and I was told you couldn't get to CM7 with it. Glad you stuck with it and got it done though. Congrats.

oh no way man! i didnt think you were steering me wrong at all. this thread is awesome! very nice people here and everyones been helpful! great Forum! ill keep coming back for peoples info on the nightly builds. Im wondering when there is going to be a stable build for Droid 2..? its the ONLY device there is no stable release for on CM :/

missionman

Reaction score
That IS the OTA! You are on the right track. Now you need to root, and install CM.

LOL this reply ^ made me laugh :D i was sitting on a solution, looking for an answer haha
i felt like dumb and dumber where Loyd tells Harry "And all this time i was going through such pain and personal anguish, such hell, for nothing!!!"

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL this reply ^ made me laugh :D i was sitting on a solution, looking for an answer haha
i felt like dumb and dumber where Loyd tells Harry "And all this time i was going through such pain and personal anguish, such hell, for nothing!!!"

I love that movie. And apparently I look like Lloyd Christmas when I get a bad haircut because my family starts cracking up. Haha

X

duck on quack

Reaction score
2. Download the GB OTA update, place it in the root of your SD card, and rename it to "update.zip". Download this file: Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip.

I've installed several ROMs on my D2 before, but I've never done an OTA update, and this step is already confusing me. Aren't OTA updates, you know, "over the air"? Is that zip supposed to be the file version of the OTA, installed via recovery to save time? If so, why would it be named 2.3.20; isn't that Froyo? Again, I've never done an OTA update, so that's probably the source of my confusion... :/

missionman

Reaction score
[/B]I've installed several ROMs on my D2 before, but I've never done an OTA update, and this step is already confusing me. Aren't OTA updates, you know, "over the air"? Is that zip supposed to be the file version of the OTA, installed via recovery to save time? If so, why would it be named 2.3.20; isn't that Froyo? Again, I've never done an OTA update, so that's probably the source of my confusion... :/

Yes the OTA update is the newest over the air verizon ROM for the Droid 2. Its different because its the most recent version and its needed to flash the gingerbread cyanogenmod 2.3.7 and OTA's contain unobstructed code that other ROMs are missing or have modified.

the process is this: MAKE SURE you unroot your phone, Stock flash with RSDlite and stock ROM, OTA Gingerbread 2.3.3 update (whether you download this one here or use WiFi), THEN ROOT your phone and flash the CM7 Gingerbread ROM, (do a factory rest/wipe in recovery mode only if you get stuck in a bootloop after you reboot from CM7 flash), then youre all done. then you can try out nightly builds or just stay on the one in this thread. ive heard the nightly builds are great most times if you stick with the recent ones that keep improving.

If you cant update your ROM as #2 suggests above^ by applying the "update.zip:" in Stock recovery (like it wouldn't for me for some reason), then connect to WiFi and do the OTA update (Settings > About Phone > System Updates phone/update) after it downloads install it before the timer runs out on the install prompt. make sure youre not using verizons data connection to do your OTA. use WiFi.
Dont be confused :biggrin: because ive noticed some ROMs (OTAs) are coded as "2.3.20" yet they come out as 2.3.3 on your phone. your best bet here is actually to OTA via WiFi. The current OTA Gingerbread from Verizon is actually a newest version.

Actually, just follow the beginning of this thread, the whole last 20+ replies above here ^ was Havens1515 trying to help me with my issues I was running into. If you have any issues ask him or me, now that i know what im doing. Just follow the thread and it should work exactly how its posted. My only issue was i was rooted during my RSDlite stock flash which you shouldn't do. It will leave dead superuser and busybox files on your phone and prevent you from doing proper roots later on. save your self the trouble and unroot your phone BEFORE you begin this thread cus believe me even after your Stock flash youll STILL have superuser and busy box on your phone (they still remain there even though your phones root gets messed up after a stock flash, hope you understand what im saying) but superuser wont work and will mess up rooting later on when you need too root. so begin all this with your phone unrooted, period.

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
[/B]I've installed several ROMs on my D2 before, but I've never done an OTA update, and this step is already confusing me. Aren't OTA updates, you know, "over the air"? Is that zip supposed to be the file version of the OTA, installed via recovery to save time? If so, why would it be named 2.3.20; isn't that Froyo? Again, I've never done an OTA update, so that's probably the source of my confusion... :/

Yes, the file name is weird, but it is the right file. And yes, OTA updates are usually done over the air, but just as you said, this is a file that can be flashed from stock recovery to save time. As missionman said, follow the directions in the first post in the thread precisely, and you should have no problems. The directions are very thorough and they work.

joeblow789

Reaction score
New 1-21 build from PhantomGamers including:

• Portrait Mode Camcorder
  • Alt Lock
  • ICS Transitions (smooth, but otherwise not really noticeable)
  • Charge Only Mode
  • Probably other stuff I can't remember
Index of /downloads/cm7gb/d2

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's been running super nice for me since it was released a couple days ago. Highly recommend it!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
This ROM is the same thing, but with more fixes and tweaks. Plus its on the Gingerbread kernel.

X

havens1515

Reaction score
is this ^ ROM better than the nightly ROM "cm_droid2_full-139" on Cyanogenmod? whats the difference?

Don't flash nightly ROM 139. It's based on the Froyo kernel, and with your device setup as it is, you will end up in a bootloop.
The ROM posted above has many more fixes and new features than the official nightlies anyway. The nightlies haven't been being built for a few months now, and the ROM that Joe posted has all new additions up to a couple days ago.

If you flash that ROM, you can just flash it from recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache (in advanced) without doing anything else.