The Answer To Movie Conversion Woes

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I've been converting torrent and dvd movies for phone use for about 3 years now.

The difficulty is finding sofware that is up to date with modern dvd encryption, and is dummy proof, with a simple user interface.

After experimenting with some modern-ish dvd conversions, I have found the software that conforms to all of the above: DVDFab 8.0.6.8. And the current promotion allows free use for dvd rip, and dvd convert through 5/01/11.

I converted The A Team, The Dark Knight, and Avatar the last couple nights, and I'm stunned with the results, and ease of use.

2 things DVDFab offers: 2 pass encoding, and control for which audio channels make it into your conversion.

Anyone interested in trying out this amazing software should download straight from the product home page - Bing/Google it.

I'll be happy to share settings for dvd conversions I've had the best results with.

One problem people have with dvd/movie conversions is pixelated and choppy video, but this software and correct settings make that a non issue. Brilliant!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Rogue27

Reaction score
Awesome but is it one of those trials where only the first few minutes of audio is converted unless u actually purchase the software?

OP
AllForNaught

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Awesome but is it one of those trials where only the first few minutes of audio is converted unless u actually purchase the software?

I've converted 7 movies already. 2 - pass conversion for 2 hour dvd movies takes just under 2 hours, all with full, stereo audio.

OP
AllForNaught

AllForNaught

Reaction score

Still converting - so far, I have succesfully converted with full audio:

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (extended cut), Star Wars (original trilogy), Raiders Of The Lost Ark, The Incredibles, Terminator Salvation, The A Team, Iron Man, and The Town.

Each file is under or at 2 gig. I have them all in a folder for my Fascinate. I'm gonna do as many in my DVD collection as I want. I'm also going to convert The Walking Dead season 1 from torrent files, and the original Batman Animated Series (big Bats fan), and probably some South Park episodes - and who knows what else!

Markmm24

Reaction score
I've noticed that people have been saying that you need to purchase a differentsd card than the one that comes with the phone.are you using a different card or the stock sd card?

OP
AllForNaught

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I've noticed that people have been saying that you need to purchase a differentsd card than the one that comes with the phone.are you using a different card or the stock sd card?

Considering I'm able to get DVD quality video at under 2000 bit rate, and audio around 160, DVD fab's 2-pass conversion may make a sd card upgrade unnecessary.

I'm using a class 4 sd card.

Tell you what: download the DVD fab version I mentioned above. When installed, insert a DVD into your drive. Dvd fab will analyze and prepare the dvd. Then, select dvd ripper. Next, select generic mp4 h.264 aac for your conversion, and select edit.

Do as I specify on the edit screen: select 2-pass conversion, make certain video bit rate is selected, and put 2116 in the video bit rate box. Then, go to audio, select stereo, then 192 audio bit rate. Next, increase volume output slider to 120.

Last steps: go to video settings, select crop, and proceed to crop the black bars off the video preview in the window - be careful not to crop off any of the image! Then select a custom resolution, starting with 720. All my widescreen vids were between 720x310 and 720x304.

Okay and double check your settings, then go back and hit start. In 90-120 minutes you'll an amazingly detailed mp4 movie to download to your phone!

Let me know how it works with your card!

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
why bother converting when there are apps like rockplayer that will play the file natively and in full screen?

OP
AllForNaught

AllForNaught

Reaction score
why bother converting when there are apps like rockplayer that will play the file natively and in full screen?

Rockplayer doesn't "magically" format dvd videos for your phone. Try dropping a 9400 video bit rate, 4.7/5 gig dvd into your phone, and let us know how that works out for you.

And with the apps that let you download videos (including Netfilx and Blockbuster) your videos look like ass.

OP
AllForNaught

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I took a couple of screenshots of movies on my fascinate using the Screen Shot It app, shown actual size.

ae8c545a-32d3-fd7e.jpg

ae8c545a-32e7-ec50.jpg

ae8c545a-36c0-96dc.jpg

ae8c545a-36d6-b4b3.jpg

The detail is amazing on this phone.

Reaction score
I've been looking for a movie converter for a while now...this one rocks! I did what you said and where I just couldn't get Handbrake to work, this one does beautifully! I converted Avatar, 2.7GB file size, 720x404 resolution, stereo...awesome! Looks, runs, sounds beautiful on my phone...although it took damn near 8 hours to convert it (I just ran it overnight...started about 8pm, ended at 4am).

I have a stock SD card and my phone is NOT rooted...and this STILL works beautifully!

Many thanks, AFN!!!!!!!

OP
AllForNaught

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I've been looking for a movie converter for a while now...this one rocks! I did what you said and where I just couldn't get Handbrake to work, this one does beautifully! I converted Avatar, 2.7GB file size, 720x404 resolution, stereo...awesome! Looks, runs, sounds beautiful on my phone...although it took damn near 8 hours to convert it (I just ran it overnight...started about 8pm, ended at 4am).

I have a stock SD card and my phone is NOT rooted...and this STILL works beautifully!

Many thanks, AFN!!!!!!!

I'm glad you're enjoying this much overlooked, but stunning aspect of the Fascinate!

I've got a USB full of movies I've shared with friends, including a Droid X user, and and iPhone user, and believe me, the fascinate is in a whole 'nother league in video quality.

Yes, Avatar looks friggin' brilliant on here!

Not sure why it takes so long on your computer, takes me just over an hour and a half average on two-pass conversion Windows 7 64 bit, 3 gig ram dual core.

Tip: delete the credits chapter(s) and sometimes you can save a couple meg of memory per movie. Although having the credits in makes it a more authentic movie experience.

smokie11

Reaction score
Thank you for the info, I am currently doing a conversion of Avatar, just some observations:

First pass is 3:20 minutes, I assume second pass is the same amount of time.

I was able to adjust video bit rate as you recommend to 2116, however the audio options you suggest were not an option in my edit screen- no stereo option, or bit rate and it would not allow me to change volume-perhaps I missed something.

In the video settings option there was only one that started with 720 and it was chosen by default also I didn't see a place to crop- it showed a preview, it looked perfect to me so I left alone.

I will not know the results until later this afternoon and will report back, thanks again!:)

smokie11

Reaction score
Thank you for the info, I am currently doing a conversion of Avatar, just some observations:

First pass is 3:20 minutes, I assume second pass is the same amount of time.

I was able to adjust video bit rate as you recommend to 2116, however the audio options you suggest were not an option in my edit screen- no stereo option, or bit rate and it would not allow me to change volume-perhaps I missed something.

In the video settings option there was only one that started with 720 and it was chosen by default also I didn't see a place to crop- it showed a preview, it looked perfect to me so I left alone.

I will not know the results until later this afternoon and will report back, thanks again!:)

Ok here are the results: FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so very much!!!

Movie: Avatar 2:41 min. movie complete with credits.
File size: 2.9 gigabites.
Conversion Time: 3 hours 21 minutes.
Picture Quality: Flawless, perfect HD.
Audio with headphones: Awsome, just floats around from all over, like surround sound.

There were some minor differences in the setup, I believe due to program I used is a newer version than you used: 8.0.7.3. Thank you again the results were awsome!!!

Reaction score
Right? Awesome...but I looked into buying DFAB and it's like $100 for a lifetime license...damn! No thanks...

I think you can change the audio once you put it into Stereo vice the default surround sound? Although, I found the older version AFN recommended, and have a free trial until April 9th...then it's bye-bye. I just copied the first disc of Archer season 1 in only 2.5 hours...I just run it at night or when I leave the house. Works for me. :) You can do a season disc, they are just all one after the other, no screen to pick the one you want...although I am new at this and only click the biggest file to save space...so, I guess you could make it just like the DVD where you can pick an episode, but it's brilliant anyway!!!

My computer is just a Toshiba Satellite laptop, 1.6GHz, dual core, 2GB mem...so not as fast as desktops or newer ones. My video card can play movies, but again, very low-end laptop that meets my needs, so is perfect...except for speed! LOL!!

I gotta say, even without Froyo, this phone rocks...and now it's even better!

Swvapunk69

Reaction score
Ok I did everything like u said and there is no sound