Texts out of order??

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Hey guys... so I updated to Android 2.2 on my Droid X a few days or so ago (this past weekend sometime) and I'm pretty much positive I didn't have this issue before upgrading to the 2.2 OS.

Anyways, I've come to notice that my text messages are constantly out of order in regards to time received/sent. For example right now my inbox looks like this (all of these are from today of course):
Person 1 4:39pm
Person 2 3:34pm
Person 3 12:46pm
Person 4 3:16pm
Person 5 11:09am
Person 6 2:35pm
....and so on....
Not only are they not in order in regards to time received/sent, but also when I RECEIVE a new text message... that text almost always seems to be several messages down in the list of messages (rather than being the first one at the top).

It definitely wasn't like this before the 2.2 froyo update, because I had the phone for like a month and a half or so before the update. And I certainly would've noticed something like this if it were like this before the update... since it tends to drive me insane. Not having the messages in order of time received/sent doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that new incoming messages don't show up at the top of my inbox (but rather they show up several messages down).

Anyone else experiencing this? And please tell me someone knows how I could fix it without having to write an e-mail to Motorola/Google/whoever and waiting for the next update?! That would be pretty ridiculous for a relatively minor problem! With my luck though, that will be the only option I'm sure.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
its a known issue - motos working on it. happens to me too.

OP
U

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Cool... Ya I saw a discussion about it for the droid 2 when I did a search on the topic but didn't see any for the droid x. Also, the thread I found (for the droid 2) didn't mention any ways to fix it or if it was being worked on. Glad to hear it is being fixed.. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!

csimo

Reaction score
There's an app in the market called SMS Time Fix that some say fixes the problem. I've tried several different settings on the app and have not received consistent results.

-Joe

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Forgive me for not having the link handy, but I read an article in which Moto stated that it can only be fixed via another ota update. Like Abe said, they're working on it. No set timeframe to when we can expect the fix yet.

Sent from my DROIDX

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If any of you use Chomp SMS, the dev. just updated the app today to fix the issue....well, when using Chomp SMS anyway. I updated and it appears to have worked.
Just FYI.

OP
U

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Forgive me for not having the link handy, but I read an article in which Moto stated that it can only be fixed via another ota update. Like Abe said, they're working on it. No set timeframe to when we can expect the fix yet.

Sent from my DROIDX

Are you freakin kidding me dude? Wow, just wow... you are not forgiven.

Haha completely kidding... no big deal man, you provided the information and that's I care about. Sorry for the sarcasm above, I just finished doing a bunch of school work and had to lighten the mood a bit haha.

And carlz28... thanks for the advice! I don't typically like downloading SMS apps since I usually feel like they are pretty unnecessary (since they are usually just cosmetic differences rather than adding cool features). In this case, I'd consider it worthwhile... cause I'm getting sick and tired of new, unread texts being listed like 6 messages down in my SMS box. I haven't even figured out how the messages are currently being organized (haven't bothered trying), but I would guess that there isn't even any organization at all and it is just completely random. Because I'll send a text message, it will be listed at the top of my SMS list, and then I'll receive a response and the message will move down to like #5 in my SMS list. Must just be completely random... I guess?

And csimo, I definitely appreciate your input and help. Probably won't bother downloading the SMS Time Fix app if this Chomp SMS app solves the problem until Moto releases an update to fix the stock app. But if Chomp doesn't solve the problem for some reason, I'll certainly give the Time Fix app a shot... can't hurt.

Kind of boggles my mind why this issue is such a complicated matter for Moto that they have to tell everyone they are "working on it". I'm no developer so I really don't know at all, but I'd think it would be a relatively simple fix.

Last edited:

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Kind of boggles my mind why this issue is such a complicated matter for Moto that they have to tell everyone they are "working on it". I'm no developer so I really don't know at all, but I'd think it would be a relatively simple fix.
I'm a themer, not a developer. But I definitely agree with you that the people at Moto should have an immediate fix. I know that many apps on a phone interact with each other to perform different functions and are dependent on software AND hardware, but this bug seems like something got really screwed up along the update process (from Motorola's side of it).
The more and more I'm using 2.2, the more little bugs I'm finding throughout the phone. Makes me wish I would have stayed on 2.1.
The bugs in 2.2 seem to be worse than 2.1 ...smh.

OP
U

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Ya I don't know.. I really like 2.2 a lot especially because of the flash aspect.. And I also really like the new look to the keyboard (white instead of black). I also definitely think that the phone, in general, reacts/functions a lot faster and smoother... for the most part that is. There are always exceptions and obviously there are times when it isn't as fast/smooth as it is at other times..but like I said "for the most part" I am happy with those aspects of the update (among other things.. but not going to list every single thing). That said, I have noticed a few minor bugs (text message order being the most annoying IMO) that did not exist in 2.1. I dont find them to be abundant enough or annoying enough (thus fat at least) to outweigh the positives in my personal opinion/experience up to this point. Haven't had the upgrade for even a full week yet though, so who knows.. that could always change.

Regardless, the thing that bothers me most is that all the bugs I've noticed in 2.2 didn't exist in 2.1! If they could just combine the best aspects of each then itd be a damn good OS in my opinion!

Lastly, its unrelated to this thread but figured I'd mention it while I'm on the topic of grievances with 2.2. I'm sure everyone noticed the Quickoffice app that came with 2.2. Well in case anyone didn't notice..it doesn't have a copy, cut, or paste feature. All you can do in the app (in regards to copy/cut/paste features) is select text! This really bothered me when I was using it the other day and couldn't figure out how to freakin copy a phrase. So I emailed their support about the topic (asking where the heck the copy/cut/paste features were hidden) since they had a support feature. I got a response today telling me that Quickoffice doesn't support the copy/cut/paste feature! I literally laughed out loud... Why the heck do they have a feature to select the text if you can't do anything with it?!

Needless to say I reinstalled Docs to Go (uninstalled it when I saw Quickoffice because I like the Quickoffice viewer a lot) simply for the ability to copy/cut/paste text in documents lol! I found it unbelievable the developer of an app (which really looks very nice all around IMO) half assed such a simple feature that would have easily made itbetter all around than Docs to Go.

Sorry for the long post.. Just figured id share since im procrastinating sleeping haha.