Texting issues, among others.

Fredonia

Reaction score
I've been having a problem lately with my Droid not receiving/sending text messages without either going in and then right out of Airplane mode, or just turning it off and then back on. It's made texting very tedious.

I've had the problem a few times before, but it's becoming an issue two or three times a day now... I'll be texting and in the middle of a conversation, things stop. They will send me a text message, and then several minutes later ask if I got it... Well, I don't receive either message until I've either switched through Airplane mode or turned the phone off and then right back on.

I'm also getting more and more notifications that my phone is low on space even though I only have about a dozen non-stock apps installed... This number is shrinking by the week it seems mainly because it keeps popping up that I'm low on space...

Another issue I'm having is having only about 3 messaging threads with around 200 SMS and about 10 MMS messages in each(if that many MMS) and it's saying that my text memory is full when it's well within the limits I had when I got the phone. I haven't modified those setting since I bought the phone(January will be two years and I'll be upgrading.)

The phone in general is just lagging a lot more than when I bought it as well...

Is this just because the phone has had it after 2 years of a fair amount of use, or is there something I can do to make things easier?

mg8199

Reaction score
I've had that issue the past couple of days but it may be because of my ROM.

Root and do a full wipe of everything. Flash a ROM that's to your liking and you'll be set. Don't be worried about bricking it, it's easy. Think of it this way, if you don't root, you're gonna pretty much need a new phone anyway from the sounds of it.

[video=youtube;0gujjtGzEZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gujjtGzEZw&annotation_id=annotation_751122&feature=iv]YouTube - ‪How to Root the Droid (2.2.2)‬‏[/video]

coreymm324

Reaction score
dude, i love my D1, but this thing drags a$$ like none other. texting is hard, surfing the internet, getting anything to load in a timely fashion. let's face it, the D1 is one of the best phones because of it having stock vanilla android, but other than that it doesnt do much good or fast.

mg8199 is right, rooting and flashing a new ROM is one thing you can do and youll probably have fun with it. its also pretty hard to brick your phone. (if you decide to root and flash a new ROM, try to stay away from any Gingerbread ROM's, the D1's processor really sucks with GBread and it looks good but doesnt perform very well.)

if you dont want to root, download a messaging app from the market (ie. Chomp SMS, or Handcent SMS) and see if that fixes any problems.

all in all, the D1 needs to be retired. ive been willing to throw mine out the window for the last 4 months. time to upgrade

OP
F

Fredonia

Reaction score
I've been swamped since I posted that... haha I haven't had the chance to really do anything yet, but I'm very likely to root.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm also getting more and more notifications that my phone is low on space even though I only have about a dozen non-stock apps installed... This number is shrinking by the week it seems mainly because it keeps popping up that I'm low on space...
Don't forget (as many seem to) that data also uses internal storage. There are apps to help you look into what's using up your internal storage.

The number of apps you have really doesn't mean much. Apps aren't all the same size. You could easily use up internal storage with the right combination of a dozen apps. You could also use virtually no internal storage with the right dozen apps. Look into your actual internal storage use if you want to resolve this issue.

Is this just because the phone has had it after 2 years of a fair amount of use, or is there something I can do to make things easier?
If you used your PC with no regard as to the limits of its resources you'd have similar problems. It's not inevitable with proper maintenance and housekeeping.

You can eek out some additional performance by rooting, loading a custom ROM, using a lighter launcher, overclocking, and all the usual suspects that are endlessly recommended around here and other Android forum sites.

Last edited:

mg8199

Reaction score
And you may have to try a couple of ROMs before you find one that "plays nice" with your phone. Cyanogen was nice but I really like the Project Elite. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Bugless Beast as well. My main issue right now is my phone will randomly reboot at odd times as well as my text msg notifications not appearing. That's what drew me to this thread in the first place.