text tone for individual contact?

issues636

Reaction score
i've figured out how to set a custom ringtone for a contact, but when they text it still has my default text tone. i get ESPN alerts and i have the ESPN ringtone, and i like having that set so i know when it's an actual text or a sports alert. i used to do it on my storm. is it possible with the droid?

MOTODROID123

Reaction score
YES!, people say u cant but i have the app "sms popup" and it allows you to set different text tones for different people like 1 song for your girl and then you would her another for your bestfriend. and you still have your default ringer

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Handcent SMS will also allow you to set individual notifications for texts.

amyk

Reaction score

I have Handcent, but every time I try to change the tone for texts, it doesn't show my ringdroided ringtones, only the ones handcent offers, I believe....anyone actually done the different tones for different contacts??

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have Handcent, but every time I try to change the tone for texts, it doesn't show my ringdroided ringtones, only the ones handcent offers, I believe....anyone actually done the different tones for different contacts??
Make sure on your SD card you have a folder named "notifications".
[Ringdroid works only for ringtones I believe... notifications are separate. Confusing and pointless I know. :)] edit: was corrected by alansupra94 in post below that it does work for both ringtones and notifications. Thanks!
Here's what you can do... go to your SD card, create a folder named "notifications" (all lower case) and then go to the folder where your Ringdroid files are saved, copy the one you want to use for Handcent and then paste it into the "notifications" folder. The song(s) should now show up in the list of available tones in Handcent.

alansupra94

Reaction score
You can select in Ringdroid whether you want the selected music to be a notification or ringtone. I have multiple tones for multiple people right now using Handcent.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can select in Ringdroid whether you want the selected music to be a notification or ringtone. I have multiple tones for multiple people right now using Handcent.
Thanks. I was hoping someone who uses Ringdroid would see this thread. I don't use it so I'm not certain on it's capabilities :icon_eek:

BiGJaYDROID

Reaction score
I used Missed Call by Anno it is an awesome app... lets you set ring tones for individual callers, texts even different led notifications for diff people and or type of message alert...:gotmyvote:

amyk

Reaction score

Make sure on your SD card you have a folder named "notifications".
[Ringdroid works only for ringtones I believe... notifications are separate. Confusing and pointless I know. :)] edit: was corrected by alansupra94 in post below that it does work for both ringtones and notifications. Thanks!
Here's what you can do... go to your SD card, create a folder named "notifications" (all lower case) and then go to the folder where your Ringdroid files are saved, copy the one you want to use for Handcent and then paste it into the "notifications" folder. The song(s) should now show up in the list of available tones in Handcent.
tried your method and actually found that if you mount it, open up to view files>click on media folder>notifications>audio, then copy and paste your ringtones from the folder right next to it---voila!!!

LilJayV10

Reaction score
Sweet find. I am going to have to try this. Does ChompSMS have this too?