text message to iPhone issue

BPB

Reaction score
I've got an odd issue and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Whenever I send a text message to my friend's iPhone he tells me that every other character is an upside down question mark. I haven't seen this for myself and can recieve text messages just fine. I can send text messages to people using other phones just fine (including iPhones).
I am using speech to text to compose the text messages. I think it could have something to do with this or, more likely, with my friend's particular iPhone.
Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
Anyone have this issue occur? People tell me every other character is an upside down ? but I haven't been able to find a consistent pattern as to when this happens. So far it's just on iphones.

littlerick

Reaction score
sounds like a problem with his phone if other iphones are getting the texts correctly

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
sounds like a problem with his phone if other iphones are getting the texts correctly
That's what I thought until the second iPhone user I texted got the same type message. I still think the problem is on the iPhone end.

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
Friends don't let friends use iPhones...
+1 I agree! I was too late to show them my Droid.

mjs31

Reaction score
Anyone have this issue occur? People tell me every other character is an upside down ? but I haven't been able to find a consistent pattern as to when this happens. So far it's just on iphones.
Wow. I never heard of this. I have to believe it is associated with ATT or the Iphone.
I bet if you told them Steve Jobs wanted them to stand on their head to read those characters they would :)

gsilk

Reaction score
I've had the same exact thing happen multiple times to my friends iphone. I can always receive his messages correctly but thats not always the case when I send him one.

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
I've had this happen with three iPhones now (three different users in different locations) but not on every text. Maybe I'll troll around the AT&T / iPhone forums and see if there's any mention of it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
That sort of problem usually suggests that a font being used on device cannot decipher a particular character being received. You may see it from time to time on websites, for example, with the apostrophe character.

I don't know if the iPhone allows one to control display fonts or if a particular messaging app being used either on your friends' end or your end is at fault, but I suspect that is where the problem lies.

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
Any ideas on what I might be able to do about it? I'm using the stock messaging app with the Kangerade 4.0.7 rom just released with the stock skin & font.
I sent a text to an iPhone user and they said they saw the odd characters. I don't think these iPhone users would be sophisticated enough to have special fonts and/or messaging apps (that's why you get an iPhone in the first place, right? So you won't have all those pesky "choices" and "options" to deal with!).
So anyway that's four iPhones that report seeing garbled text messages from me.
Any ideas on something I could try as far as this goes? I've tried switching roms (Kangerade 4.0.7 works great btw), upgrading from OS 2.1 to 2.2, etc.

Sent from my Droid

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
Here's how a typical message from the Droid to an iPhone (or other phone) looks to the receiver when this error occurs:
(Well, I'm on Taptalk & don't know if the image will appear inline or not.)
Anyway, I've attached another image of a solution to a different issue, regarding a true monospace font in terminal emulator. However I think it would possibly affect the text message issue.
Any thoughts? (Other than iPhone/AT&T sux, which I already know!)

Sent from my Droid

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
Didn't get the first image; it's not just one character but the entire message(s) that are garbled.

Sent from my Droid

lakegal66

Reaction score
I have a theory. On the virtual keyboard, there is a button for "..." which does not send three dots, it sends the special character ellipsis (which is three dots). I'm a big user of "..." myself and was initially *so* happy there was a whole button on the keyboard for it. I tried sending a message to my iPhone friend using the ellipsis - she got upside down question marks. I switched from the default keyboard to Swype, sent another message, no problems. Not sure if it will work for you, but it works for me. It might be that the iPhone can't handle the ellipsis character? Love, love, love my Droid.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
iphone can't handle what the android does... this would be fantastic if it were prooved to be true. You know, well, for me, cause, im an iphone hater.