text message problem

dbsf2004

Reaction score
Some people are telling me when i send them text messages from my Droid 3 that all they recieve is square boxes. This is from verizon to verizon in the same town. Any ideas please.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
My first suggestion would be to clear the cache of your messaging app (Manage Apps>Text Messaging>Clear Cache).

I'll also suggest installing an alternative app for texting, like Handcent. If clearing the cache doesn't do the trick, try using another program to send texts. If people receive normal texts from the third-party app, you'll at least have the ability to send texts while you try to hash out the problem.

Have you rooted or ROM'd recently?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Are you using any weird characters in your texts or do you have a "signature" attached to your texts? Usually square boxes mean the operating system doesen't know what the character is because it does not recognize it.

I remember back when the Droid 1 came out, I just got it and had it for a week or two and was texting my GF. I accidentally hit then shift key and some letter that had a really weird symbol on it, typed it out on screen and accidentally sent the text. Her blackberry freaked out and gave her 5 pages of gibberish for one character! We were able to do it repeatedly also; it was because of this one weird font thing.

Sadly I don't see the same one on my Droid 3 so they must have removed it :( it looked like the symbol for the Euro, but thinner and more jagged looking.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I hate not knowing if my suggestions worked-lol.

Dri94

Reaction score
i know this happens alot if im texting phones earlier than jun2011. the droid3 has some characters that other phones do not. if i text a samsung phone, forget what its called, and i use the ... button, the samsung phone restarts. so i just use all normal characters in texts now

wendee2150

Reaction score
This has happened to me too. But I just asked a question like what is jenn's cell number? And all they got was a screen full of squares.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shimmy549

Reaction score
From what I've been reading, the problem usually only affects certain phone models. I've never had this happen to any of the phones I've texted, but I know it can happen.

Out of curiosity, does this happen when using the hardware and virtual keyboards, or only one or the other?

Also, were/are the affected phones on Verizon?

My best guess is still to try a third-party app or maybe a third-party keyboard.

mikedyk43

Reaction score
This could happen if you are sending texts in a font that the receiving phone does not have.