Solved Text alerts with out phone # don't show contact info in Google messages any more

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I saved some text alerts ie from banks with contact names but they stopped showing with name all of a sudden. Anybody else see this. I've a five digit contact #

Also noticed my Google contacts haven't sync since the 5th

I have turned battery saver off and on which I thought was the issue but didn't fix

Not sure if the account sync is the issue with the five digit contacts or not

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Same thing happens to me. I think it's the way Google Contacts saves the phone number. I noticed that after going back and reviewing the saved Contact the number was saved with a dash after the third number, like it's defaulting to trying to save a 5 digit number as a normal phone number. Whatever the issue, it's with the way Google Contacts saves these 5 digit numbers. I can't find a way to make them display the Contact name in the Messages app.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Same thing happens to me. I think it's the way Google Contacts saves the phone number. I noticed that after going back and reviewing the saved Contact the number was saved with a dash after the third number, like it's defaulting to trying to save a 5 digit number as a normal phone number. Whatever the issue, it's with the way Google Contacts saves these 5 digit numbers. I can't find a way to make them display the Contact name in the Messages app.

It used to work till recently maybe Android 9 changed the behavior

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2

I googled today and more people started saying it happened in November. Wonder if it's a feature or a bug

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It probably has something to do with Google's changes that are rolling out for RCS. That's around the same time that they leaked the way to force RCS in phones.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
What heard about rcs is that you have to disable it if you switch phones or you might not get rcs messaged for a while till the config from the old phone sim ages out. How would the rcs be linked to a Sim. What are you supposed to do if your phone was lost or broken and you got a new phone. I am curious to see how this all works. I would love it if rcs was as seem less as iMessage and I hope apple links to rcs so Android and apple can finally "chat"

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I googled today and more people started saying it happened in November. Wonder if it's a feature or a bug

I googled today and a couple of posts say maybe that Google will fix in December messages update.. it's an app do the update it monthly. Another article said it had to do with messages misinterpreting region code or contact not having a region code and to set the region code on the Google contact. I am not sure how to do this or if it will work.
Hope it's fixed sometime soon

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I wish they would fix it

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
They don't respond. The forum users and "Product Experts" respond. Google employees don't respond from what I have ever seen

The issue seems to be fixed , names are showing from contacts again on my z2 force