Tethering: How your phone connects and facts and myths about it debate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
And someone asked about the ToS from Verizon:

Customer Agreement

What Are Verizon Wireless' Rights to Limit or End Service or End this Agreement?

We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to: (i) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) pay late more than once in any 12 months; (c) incur charges larger than a required deposit or billing limit, or materially in excess of your monthly access charges (even if we haven't yet billed the charges); (d) provide credit information we can't verify; (e) are unable to pay us or go bankrupt; (f) resell your Service; (g) use your Service for any illegal purpose, including use that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions promulgated by any U.S. governmental agency; (h) install, deploy or use any regeneration equipment or similar mechanism (for example, a repeater) to originate, amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate an RF signal without our permission;(i) steal from or lie to us; or (ii) if you, any user of your device or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. We can also temporarily limit your Service for any operational or governmental reason.
And further down under 'Waivers and Limitations of Liability' is where it talks about small claims courts and stuff. I think tethering can be found out if they want to.

post up a cancelled contract, huge bill, from anyone on the inet to prove this, or don't..... until you do, you are just fear mongering.....

can they, yes
have they? that's the million dollar question that noone that is fearmongering can seem to provide proof to. yet they keep spouting off.

so, until then.....

iTeather

I stream movies
I watch HULU
I cancelled my home inet and tether exclusively
I am tethered right now
I even stream pron
and as soon as I find out how, I will hook up my video game units to play online through tethering
I plan on ruining it for everyone

I bought a droid to consolidate EVERYTHING into one unit, including internet. If it had a cable tv app, I'd have my TV hooked up to it right now instead of paying for knology cable.

Fearmongering? Naw man. Its pointing out that if you do get hit with a huge bill or your service gets cancelled, dont come crying and bashing Verizon. Like if I use torrents to download copyrighted material and get sued or fined, I cant blame no one but myself.

Thats all. Just informing ppl. And like BigMcGuire and some others have said, stay under 5GB, dont get outrageous with it and you will be fine. So I dont see the problem....

rpk717

Reaction score
Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

I have an Aircard that I pay a monthly fee to use on my wife's laptop. Does that mean I can legally use my Droid to tether my laptop?

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Still no mythological bills. I'm beginning to think huge bills and cancelled contracts are like bigfoot sitings... on people who claim they have seen them are drunks and whackjobs, but they will try to make u feel like you are the crazy one. :tinfoilhat:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think someone (might have been aminaked) made a good point: its not a matter of can they but will they?

Remember when torrents first came out? No ISP's were throttling, degrading the connection. I dont even remember Joe Public getting sued or fined for getting copyrighted material thru torrents back then. Fast forward about 10 years. I used both Comcast and RCN and they BOTH throttle. (I'm on RCN now) RCN isnt even considered a major player and they throttle now. Folks have gotten fined or sued for getting copyrighted material thru torrents.

Its not a matter of can they but will they.....

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Still no mythological bills. I'm beginning to think huge bills and cancelled contracts are like bigfoot sitings... on people who claim they have seen them are drunks and whackjobs, but they will try to make u feel like you are the crazy one. :tinfoilhat:

You've proven you have a problem with responsibility. I'm beginning to think that those who claim Verizon will never do anything are like the homeless people who sit outside the White House and protest the Vietnam War...

It clearly states that you're breaking the rules, and you CAN be punished, and quite frankly, if Verizon thinks people are abusing their networks, they WILL go after you. This is why they charge $30 extra a month to tether 5gb, to keep people from abusing their network. That $30/month isnt pure profit, it goes towards maintaining the hardware you're abusing.

Have fun tethering, keep it up, just dont expect any sympathy here when Verizon does decide they've had enough.

Last edited:

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK I called a third time, this time armed with the website address and exact information.

This is what I got from the Verizon Wireless Rep. The $15 month Mobile Broadband Connect is for the Droid Incredible. The Motorola Droid does not support tethering so it cannot be added to my plan.

I asked her if I found an app on the market that allowed me to tether, it was ok to use it? And she said yes, as long as I stay under 5GB. I asked again saying, "I don't have to pay anything?" She said no, not for now.

Out of the 3 reps I talked to - this rep really seemed to know her stuff.

She couldn't have know all her stuff though since there is no 5GB cap on the data plan that you have to get when you get a droid.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yeah, both she and I knew that. She was talking about the tethering data usage. Verizon is making that 5GB. Right now there is no "tethering" plan for the Droid. I tried to get a Mobile Broadband Connect plan on my Droid to be 100% legal but they wouldn't let me because the Droid doesn't support tethering. So the tech told me it was ok to tether, but to keep the data used while tethering around 5GB.

Earlier in this thread I think we confirmed that it would be near impossible and a waste for Verizon to actually track this on their own. So they just haven't done anything with the Droid yet when it comes to tethering (like they have for the Droid Incredible).

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

You've proven you have a problem with responsibility. I'm beginning to think that those who claim Verizon will never do anything are like the homeless people who sit outside the White House and protest the Vietnam War...

It clearly states that you're breaking the rules, and you CAN be punished, and quite frankly, if Verizon thinks people are abusing their networks, they WILL go after you. This is why they charge $30 extra a month to tether 5gb, to keep people from abusing their network. That $30/month isnt pure profit, it goes towards maintaining the hardware you're abusing.

Have fun tethering, keep it up, just dont expect any sympathy here when Verizon does decide they've had enough.

is using facebook chat instead of SMS, and therefore trimming your plan's minutes to have a cheaper monthly bill, abusing the system? It's circumventing and VZW can't charge you for it. What's the difference?

is rearranging your calling circle of 10 non-verizon phones to include the one hour conference call you have tomorrow abusing the system

so why is using the inet and cancelling home inet abusing the system.

It's been clearly stated that even if I tried, VZW is not even set up to take my money..... too bad so sad. I'm sure they'll figure it out how to charge.

so feel guilty all you want.... doesn't mean I'm going to stop. There are still plenty of bigger fish than me out there if they start going after people for this. Meanwhile, you go ahead and pay for the same thing twice....

I'm single, live alone, and only need inet on one machine at any one time. Only one computer at the house, and I'm on the road a lot during certain times of the year.... why shouldn't my inet follow me around like my main phone number follow me around on my cell.

This isn't a "abusing the system" issue here.... Keeping my inet with me instead of tieing it down to my house is done for the same reason I cut my home phone and use my cell phone exclusively... why pay for home phone AND cell phone when cell phone can do it all. Why pay for home inet AND cell inet when the cell phone can do it all. I didn't buy a droid to only take advantage of 50% of what it can do....

JCo352

Reaction score

is using facebook chat instead of SMS, and therefore trimming your plan's minutes to have a cheaper monthly bill, abusing the system? It's circumventing and VZW can't charge you for it. What's the difference?

is rearranging your calling circle of 10 non-verizon phones to include the one hour conference call you have tomorrow abusing the system

It's been clearly stated that even if I tried, VZW is not even set up to take my money..... too bad so sad. I'm sure they'll figure it out how to charge.

so feel guilty all you want.... doesn't mean I'm going to stop. There are still plenty of bigger fish than me out there if they start going after people for this. Meanwhile, you go ahead and pay for the same thing twice....

I'm single, live alone, and only need inet on one machine at any one time. Only one computer at the house, and I'm on the road a lot during certain times of the year.... why shouldn't my inet follow me around like my main phone number follow me around on my cell.

This isn't a "abusing the system" issue here.... Keeping my inet with me instead of tieing it down to my house is done for the same reason I cut my home phone and use my cell phone exclusively... why pay for home phone AND cell phone when cell phone can do it all. Why pay for home inet AND cell inet when the cell phone can do it all. I didn't buy a droid to only take advantage of 50% of what it can do....

Lol, I bet you're the type of guy that takes a date to an all-you-can-eat buffet, and pays for one meal...LOL

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

Lol, I bet you're the type of guy that takes a date to an all-you-can-eat buffet, and pays for one meal...LOL

I have an app for that.....

itzkr0me

Reaction score
In BR's ToS they state specifically they can not monitor what you are using the connection for, only the fact that you ARE using the connection. And you'll probably get a different connect ID (IP) when utilizing VZAccess. My assumption is that you go directly through the phones connection if using a third party connection (Barnacle, etc)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

You dont seem to get it.

The rules say you cant do what you're doing. Just accept that, and move on. You can keep breaking the rules, I really dont care, just own up to the fact that you are not in compliance.

Grow up a bit.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There are 2 ways they tell you are connected. That's why you change the settings...Then it only shows as you are using your phone to access the web. If you keep it real and don't get stupid with your usage they could care less....

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
In BR's ToS they state specifically they can not monitor what you are using the connection for, only the fact that you ARE using the connection. And you'll probably get a different connect ID (IP) when utilizing VZAccess. My assumption is that you go directly through the phones connection if using a third party connection (Barnacle, etc)

What's BR?

Scblacksunshine

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how your phone connects to the networks data/internet? How does it connect when using my android browser? When I use the old method of setting up my device as a modem where it dials into #777 verses using a program like PDAnet to tether, do they "connect" in a different way? What are these differences? How is this connection seen on the "network"?

I am kind of curious about this...there'a another method of changing your S.IP DUN User Name to the phone number and then setting up the #777 modem access on the PC. How is this different than what PDAnet is doing? Is this a less detectable method as compare to Easytethering or PDAnet? I read somewhere else, if you change the S.IP dun user name basically tethering will be seen as data usage needed by an app or the phone browser e (like if you're using google map to search for something online). Is there any validity to this? Couldn't find an answer to this on forum, can someone please confirm and maybe provide some insight as to how our Android phone access data from Verizon and what type of authentication VZ use to allow the data to stream from the cell site to the handset?

Status
Not open for further replies.