Tethering: How your phone connects and facts and myths about it debate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkzbdroid

Reaction score
I still say FAT CHANCE, I could see verizon just pushing lots of overages rather than terminating, you know big red doesnt wanna pass up a penny!!!

and correct me if im wrong but didnt google and Verizon both promote android as an OPEN platform? Class action false advertising? that would be cool :)

so lame we pay all this money for no rights what so ever!!! what ever happened to you break it you buy it, I like that policy much better

Last edited:
OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
For easier search-ability I will post those terms here.

Additional Plan Information
Required Equipment
NationalAccess or Mobile Broadband–capable device

Required Minimum Term, Activation Fees, and Early Termination Fee

• Month-to-month, one- or two-year contract term required per line

• Activation Fee: $35 per line

• Activation fees may vary or be waived for business customers that have a Major Account Agreement with Verizon Wireless.

• Early Termination Fee: Up to $175, or up to $350 if you purchased an advanced device, per line for one- or two-year contract terms. Customers activating on month-to-month terms are not eligible for monthly access fee discounts.

• In the Canadian Broadband and Canadian Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB.

• In the Mexican Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.005 per KB or $5.12 per MB.

• In the Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, China, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Guam, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Netherland Antilles, Northern Mariana Islands, Palestinian Authority, Saipan, and South Korea, St. Maarten Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.02 per KB or $20.48 per MB.

You must add I-Dial to your account to roam in many destinations. To add I-Dial to your account and for more information on Wireless Data Roaming internationally, call (800) 922-0204 or visit www.verizonwireless.com/naroaming. Only select Rate and Coverage areas support EVDO.

Taxes, Surcharges, and Fees

• Taxes, surcharges, and fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges, vary by market and as of December 1, 2009, add between 5% and 37% to your monthly access fees and airtime charges.

• Monthly Federal Universal Service Charge (varies quarterly based on FCC rate) is 14.1% on interstate and international telecom charges.

• Monthly Regulatory Charge (subject to change) is up to 2¢ per line.

• Monthly Administrative Charge (subject to change) is 6¢ per line.

• The Federal Universal Service, Regulatory, and Administrative Charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes. For more details on these charges, call (888) 684-1888.

Important Customer Information
For more information, refer to the Customer Agreement or speak with a Sales Representative. Service is subject to the Customer Agreement, which you should read before activating service. Plans not available in all areas. Credit approval required. Billing, shipping and end–user address must be within the Verizon Wireless licensed and service areas where the wireless phone number is issued.

Mobile Broadband / NationalAccess

Subject to VZAccessSM Acceptable Use Policy, available at http://www.verizonwireless.com/datausage. To make sure you have coverage in newly expanding markets, from the VZAccess Manager, go into "Options" and click "Activation," while in the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area every three months. This may alter your Rate and Coverage Area. You are responsible for maintaining virus protection when accessing service. NationalAccess/Mobile Broadband is for individual use only and is not for resale.

Charges for Quick 2 Net® or dial–up calls will be based on the cell sites used and time of day at the telephone switching office that carries your call, which may be different from the time of day shown on your device. Rates do not apply to credit card or operator–assisted Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls, which may be required in certain areas. Usage rounded up to the next full minute. Charges start when you first press CONNECT or the call connects to a network on Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls. Time may end several seconds after you press DISCONNECT or the call otherwise disconnects. For Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls, we only bill for those calls that are answered (which includes Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls answered by machines). Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls to "toll–free" numbers are toll–free; you will be billed airtime.

Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail;(iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company);(iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses. You may not use our Data Plans and Feature for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others' intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users' service, that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions as promulgated by the Departments of Commerce, Treasury or any other U.S. government agency, that interferes with network's ability to fairly allocate capacity among users, or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i)server devices or host computer applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable "bots" or similar routines (as set forth in more detail (ii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii)"auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or e-mail use by others; (iii) generating "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such e-mail);(iv) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either Verizon Wireless' services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation of dissemination of viruses, malware, or "denial of service" attacks;(v) accessing or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless' or another entity's network or systems; or (vi) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep alive" functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless' requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time.

Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

You may assess and monitor your own data usage during a particular billing period, including during the Return Period under your Worry Free Guarantee, by accessing My Verizon online, or by contacting Customer Service.

Approximate Data Usage Examples: Basic information and examples showing the approximate data usage for several common Internet activities appear below.

The speed of the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobits (kb) per second. However, the amount of data transmitted over the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobytes (KB), Megabytes (MB) or Gigabytes (GB).
Examples
Application Approximate Size
E-mail (1 text page without attachments) 3 KB
Word Document (5 text pages) 70 KB
Typical Web Page lookup1 300 KB
Low Resolution Digital Photo 500 KB
PowerPoint Presentation (20 pages text & light graphics) 3 MB
Note: The above examples are just estimates, based on approximate size assumptions. Actual file sizes and user experiences will vary.
1Graphically intense pages or pages with video can exceed 3MB.

The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale.

We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

We may monitor your compliance, or other subscribers’ compliance, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law. See www.verizonwireless.com/privacy.

Connecticut Customers: If you have any questions about your bill or concerns about your service, please call Customer Care at: (800) 922-0204 or dial *611 from your wireless phone. If you are a Connecticut customer and we cannot resolve your issue, you have the option of contacting the Department of Public Utility Control (DPUC): Online: www.state.ct.us/dpuc Phone: (866) 381-2355; Mail: Connecticut DPUC, 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, CT 06051.

Last Update 01/21/10

Last edited:
OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
I have highlighted the relevant information in bold and the part that specifically says we cannot tether in red.

So now we have real tangible proof that it is in fact against the VZW TOS agreement to tether. Now with that said, we now need to find proof of when using Tethering like WiFi tethering how they can show what is tethered usage vs. normal data usage on the device its self. Because to bill us for tethering usage they have to show that we did in fact tether.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Interesting. It specifically says "wireless modems". Since the Android tethering apps don't use the device as a "wireless modem" and rather as a "wireless router" i'd be willing to bet one could argue this in court if they knew what they were doing.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Interesting. It specifically says "wireless modems". Since the Android tethering apps don't use the device as a "wireless modem" and rather as a "wireless router" i'd be willing to bet one could argue this in court if they knew what they were doing.

You can argue the moon is made of green cheese if the judge allows it. However, you're making a distinction without a difference. The fact remains that use of the Droid to (a) receive a 3G signal and (b) to transfer the data received to another device is what is prohibited.

V

verian

Nice job with trying to start a threat with real information on the situation. Its sad how people still have to make comments with no factual info. Lots of good info in the thread. I still think if people would stop playing MW2 and using torrents on the verizon network they would continue to not care. And whats with the rash of tether threads lately did someone get busted. NO

nateccnn

Reaction score
so...I'm good to go since I subscribe to the mobile broadband service. Yeah!

See you guys in the...is it ok to root? Thrwad...lol

Nate

Travis798

Reaction score
*sigh* This is what I liked about Alltel. I could tether all I wanted and just use minutes, or add a $25 fee that would let me tether all I wanted. They were truly unlimited, so for 25 bucks you could use 20 gigs of data and they wouldn't say jack. Considering Alltel was a highly profitable company, I'm sure if Verizon got with the times and instituted something like this they wouldn't go broke.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
So now we have real tangible proof that it is in fact against the VZW TOS agreement to tether. Now with that said, we now need to find proof of when using Tethering like WiFi tethering how they can show what is tethered usage vs. normal data usage on the device its self. Because to bill us for tethering usage they have to show that we did in fact tether.

Well, the droid can't stream netflix, run java or flash or silverlight. Requests for this data are usually not encrypted. They can certainly set up software that looks to see if you're consistently downloading things like this. That would be evidence enough for them.

But I'm wondering if they would analyze traffic, not if they could. I know they could. Perhaps if anyone out there who got caught is reading this thread, they can give us more information on what Verizon told them.

harv2000

Reaction score
A technical fact that would be helpful, I think, is knowing what the string issuing from PDANET contains. I've seen posts talking about the Droid as a router performing NAT, but if this is true, then there is a critical issue. With router strings, deep in the string, there is an identity of the machine behind NAT that receives the incoming data. Otherwise, the Router has no way of identifying one browsers request from another browsers request. So, if the Droid running PDANET is providing NAT services, then your request strings very nicely identify a foreign requester on the network.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
And someone asked about the ToS from Verizon:

Customer Agreement

What Are Verizon Wireless' Rights to Limit or End Service or End this Agreement?

We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to: (i) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) pay late more than once in any 12 months; (c) incur charges larger than a required deposit or billing limit, or materially in excess of your monthly access charges (even if we haven't yet billed the charges); (d) provide credit information we can't verify; (e) are unable to pay us or go bankrupt; (f) resell your Service; (g) use your Service for any illegal purpose, including use that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions promulgated by any U.S. governmental agency; (h) install, deploy or use any regeneration equipment or similar mechanism (for example, a repeater) to originate, amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate an RF signal without our permission;(i) steal from or lie to us; or (ii) if you, any user of your device or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. We can also temporarily limit your Service for any operational or governmental reason.
And further down under 'Waivers and Limitations of Liability' is where it talks about small claims courts and stuff. I think tethering can be found out if they want to.

post up a cancelled contract, huge bill, from anyone on the inet to prove this, or don't..... until you do, you are just fear mongering.....

can they, yes
have they? that's the million dollar question that noone that is fearmongering can seem to provide proof to. yet they keep spouting off.

so, until then.....

iTeather

I stream movies
I watch HULU
I cancelled my home inet and tether exclusively
I am tethered right now
I even stream pron
and as soon as I find out how, I will hook up my video game units to play online through tethering
I plan on ruining it for everyone

I bought a droid to consolidate EVERYTHING into one unit, including internet. If it had a cable tv app, I'd have my TV hooked up to it right now instead of paying for knology cable.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I just rooted my droid and got the Wireless Tethering for Rooted Users app. It works perfectly.

I like to be on the safe side of things, so I called up Verizon Wireless and asked if I could get the broadband addon to my plan so I could tether legally. I talked to 2 different reps that said my phone doesn't support tethering so they couldn't do that. The last rep said that if I found an app on the market that allowed me to tether "it must be ok."

So I couldn't even get them to add on the broadband connect cuz my Motorola Droid doesn't support tethering.

I talked to both reps about this page: Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products -- And both reps said they don't offer such a service. I got so frustrated that I just left it at that. They don't want my money? Fine.

I only plan on using tethering as a backup anyway since I have internet at work/college/home. But it is incredibly frustrating that they offer this on the website and I really tried to do things the "right way" but in the end, couldn't.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
OK I called a third time, this time armed with the website address and exact information.

This is what I got from the Verizon Wireless Rep. The $15 month Mobile Broadband Connect is for the Droid Incredible. The Motorola Droid does not support tethering so it cannot be added to my plan.

I asked her if I found an app on the market that allowed me to tether, it was ok to use it? And she said yes, as long as I stay under 5GB. I asked again saying, "I don't have to pay anything?" She said no, not for now.

Out of the 3 reps I talked to - this rep really seemed to know her stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.