Tethering/Hot Spot, Unlim. Data

StinkyPete

Reaction score
Looking to get the TB when it releases in August 2012 (just kidding)...

Question: I thought I had seen that although the tethering/hot spot is a feature on the phone, there is an extra cost over and above the unlimited data charge - and that it was $20 extra per month.

So... assuming the unlimited data stays the same... it would be:

$29.99 - unlim data
$20.00 - tethering/hot spot

<gulp> the wife is going to nix that!

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Just wait a few days, it won't take long for the big giant heads in the Android community to figure how to root the TB. Then we'll be able tether with impunity...

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Yes and on that subject i dont understand how charging for tethering can be justified when the data speed for 3G is the same no matter what you do.

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

mr_silent

Reaction score
Yes and on that subject i dont understand how charging for tethering can be justified when the data speed for 3G is the same no matter what you do.

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

Agreed, it doesn't seem justified. If your paying for the service you should be able to use the signal as you see fit. I recall reading about a man living in Kodiak, Alaksa back in the 80s, sattelite tv wasn't yet available in Ak. The guy was able to configure a homemade dish and lined it up with a sattelite that was over Hawaii at the time. The sattelite company tried to charge him with theft of service, but due to Alaskas strict property rights, the man was able to argue that he simply couldn't steal something that they were sending to his property for free. He won the case. So it may be different in other states, but its your business what you do with the signal they send to your property(smartphone). Especially since you are paying for it as well.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

cleon527

Reaction score
I read in another thread that there is some "trick" that can be used for the incredible and the speculation is that the trick might work for the TBolt. I'm not sure what the trick is...anyone know?

JFMFT

Reaction score
Just wait until it's rooted, then throw on Wireless Tether from the market. It should support infrastructure mode on the Thunderbolt like it does on the Incredible and Droid X.

fegriffith

Reaction score
The "trick" is to change a file on the phone...the Incredible apparently can be done on the phone itself, but the Fascinate required the use of QPST to pull the file down, change it and then push it back. Unfortunately with the 2.2 froyo leak for Fascinate there is apparently a "sniffer" in place to detect this modification/use. I do believe it will be cracked at some point.

The above hack was nice for those of us that can't have a rooted device. It enabled the wifi tether hotspot without having to root and install a third party program.

Fingers crossed this phone gets lots of dev support and if it does indeed have the sniffer, that they figure a way to get rid of it.

Savagehearts

Reaction score
The MHS isn't even unlimited. They charge per use after 2gb.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

twizatch

Reaction score

Dumb question, but Verizon can tell if the data usage is coming from the phone or from another device connected through the phone and charges accordingly?

And how can you legitimately be charged for something that you can't even track yourself?!?! That's like filling up at a gas station where all the meter readouts are broken.

mkjellgren

Reaction score

Dumb question, but Verizon can tell if the data usage is coming from the phone or from another device connected through the phone and charges accordingly?

And how can you legitimately be charged for something that you can't even track yourself?!?! That's like filling up at a gas station where all the meter readouts are broken.

They charge more because it takes FAR more bandwidth to render full size web pages on an actual computer than it does to render them on a phone. They can't specifically tell that you are using the data on a different device but they can see huge spikes in your data usage from tethering. If you're rooted you can tether for free and as long as you don't use tethering as your sole source of internet connectivity you should be fine. I have yet to hear of somebody getting in any trouble with Verizon for tethering. At&t though...thats a different story, they've been sending out c&d's and tacking on additional charges to peoples bills who have been tethering for free through root access....
Sent from my ADR6400L

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Whether or not it takes more bandwidth to render full pages, you're still given a capped amount of usage.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Whether or not it takes more bandwidth to render full pages, you're still given a capped amount of usage.

Unless of course you have an unlimited data plan and use wireless tether for root users rather than VZW's official tether app... ;-) no caps there...

Sent from my ADR6400L

Dxun

Reaction score
I'm a little confused with this hotspot deal. I have not paid for the service but I can activate and use it right now. My DroidX had the option but it would not allow me to start the service. Will I be seeing additional charges on my bill if I use the hotspot?

Last edited:

mark3748

Reaction score
I'm a little confused with this hotspot deal. I have not paid for the service but i can activate and use it right now. My DroidX had the option but it would not allow me to start the service. Will i be seeing additional charges on my bill if i use the hotspot?

They are offering it for free until may 15th. After then I would suggest contacting VZW and cancel it if you no longer want it on your bill.