Tethering 3g to Xbox 360?

ssgterry87

Reaction score
i have a rooted motorola droid running lfy 9.95 2.2.1, i have been wirelessly tethering my xbox 360 to get on xbox live. Its 3g internet has been working its a** off to supply me with great online gameplay.... Call of Duty: Black Ops, by the way, is a nice game. Has anyone else tethered their xbox 360?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Tethering to game is bad for your gaming experience, others' gaming experiences, and the network. The excessive data use you are currently racking up may cost you your Verizon contract, lock your phone down with a bad ESN, an Early Termination Fee, and prevent you from getting another Verizon contract for the rest of your life. Please stop. Also, please edit your post for profanity as this is a family-friendly forum. Thank you for your cooperation.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tethering though cool is not a good idea for the xbox or ps 3 I mean why not go broadband. With that said I understand unlimited is unlimited but do not think vzw do not know what is going on. Heck we have vzw reps who use our forums. This what I suggest to all those who tether. Use common since...vzw do not have the time nor resources to go after every one who tethers so if they were to look they would start with those using a lot of data. The best recommended tethering procedure would be to go to sites your droid can go to, so they will have a hard time detecting that you were tethering, and tether sparingly.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, I tether to my Xbox because BROADBAND IS NOT AVAILABLE WHERE I LIVE. My connection is decent enough not to lag at all, and I've never had a complaint about it.

On a side note, if the two posters above actually knew how much data was being transferred for Xbox Live, they wouldn't be commenting on "high data use." The FACT is I only use about 2-4 MB's for one round of Modern Warfare 2. If I play for two hours each night, which is high in my situation, I'm still using less than one GB for gameplay each month.

bicycleray

Reaction score
Uh, not sure where your getting these numbers. If it's from the tether app I wouldn't trust it. Normal data transfer while playing a game such as Call of Duty would easily rank over 1 to 3 gbs in a couple hours.

Verizon just like all carriers predict 5gbs a month is normal for smart phones (read the contact you signed, it starr it in there). If you rank over 10 your already on their high user list and if you hit 20 gbs then expect your service to be shut down until you contact technical support. I've witnessed it first hand while working in a call center for AT&T.

Online play is high data. Shoot even if you use the mic to talk with other users can rank 50mbs in one hour.

I would download the Verizon Wireless app and check those numbers there!

Sent from my DROIDX

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Once again, not true, and my overall data usage at the end of the month can back me up.

BTW, I've seen someone use over 30 GB's consecutively, and they haven't heard a peep. Heck, I've seen one case of 85 GB's and they've heard nothing about it.

Stop making blind assumptions.

bicycleray

Reaction score

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
This is the only warning before this thread gets reported. Keep it civil.

Discussion with several Verizon reps, techs, and former employees have given us the view we have today, which is that while there is no hard limit, Verizon can, will, and does violate people for excessive data use.

And bicycleray, please edit your post to remove the partly-obscured curse. Thank you. :)

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bicycleray,

That has NOTHING to do with Wireless Tether, while rooted. That article is about a kid who didn't know he was being charged by the KB, and ran up a bill. People do that all the time.

To this day, there has not been ONE case in the media of someone being charged for using a root app to tether. Not ONE.

Furbearingmammal,

I would love to read something about someone being terminated for data use while rooted.

bicycleray

Reaction score
Being rooted or not rooted doesn't make a difference, it's how much data you use. Simple enough.

Your right, there is no reports that you can find online that has someone being shut off by the carrier but that does not mean it doesn't happen.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

ssgterry87

Reaction score
Wow, i guess this was a grat convo started, and by the way, all i asked is if anyone else did this, not all the other stuff lol, simple yes/no answer would have been great.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Being rooted or not rooted doesn't make a difference, it's how much data you use. Simple enough.

Your right, there is no reports that you can find online that has someone being shut off by the carrier but that does not mean it doesn't happen.

Sent from my DROIDX

It does make a difference. If you're unrooted and use wireless tethering (3G Hotspot), you have a 2GB limit. Therefore, when you go over 2GB's, you are charged accordingly.

As opposed to Wireless Tether while you're rooted, where I've already mentioned, people have been using 30+ GB's, and haven't heard a peep.

To the OP, I use Wireless Tether for gaming, and probably use less total data than most people in this thread. I have yet to exceed 5GB's in a month total.

mewshi

Reaction score
It's odd at the least that you live in a place with decent 3G but don't have access to home-based broadband.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
i confess to doing this to my ps3... connection was on the lower side but it worked. I did this for a good 5 months. i stopped when i got cable internet though. My data wasn't too outrageous i don't think. I cant remember going over 5gb per month but i probably came close. Either way i wouldn't have cared. and fur, lol i like your first post in this... it seems a little over the top. As i was reading it went from a friendly atmosphere to a more aggressively toned threatening atmosphere. i'm not trying to be mean, but is it really necessary to completely shut him down like that? and if it was, maybe a kinder tone was in order. Thank you for YOUR cooperation! (i love your use of sarcasm at the end)

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's odd at the least that you live in a place with decent 3G but don't have access to home-based broadband.

I would say that this isnt true... at least for Az. Lots of neighborhoods are under development and internet companies haven't really caught up. 3g is way easier to get as its broad casted wireless from a tower as internet companies ave to get power lines and such to get to each home individually. Quest still doesn't offer internet at my house and we've been here and using their phone service for at least 15+years.