Test your headphone jack!!

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Just plugged into my car radio and I can hear the noise.. barely.
It's extremely high pitched and very low level, at least for me.
As soon as any song kicks in I cant even tell it's there.. it's during a very quiet intro that I can recognise it's presense but it's not distracting at all.

if yours is loud enough that you can actually hear it over music then I'd advise you to swap out your phone.

phoenixus

Reaction score
I can't notice mine when it's hooked up in the car, even on low volumes, unless I crank my car stereo wayyy up.

However, I can definitively hear it when I just have some headphones plugged in.

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
I can confirm that using an attenuator takes care of all the line noise. Sucks that I have to use this but it's worth it to keep this sweet phone and I will keep hoping they will be able to fix it with a patch.

Sectime

Reaction score
Has anyone tried changing sound settings? Maybe this is signal processing noise not hardware.

johnny_waz

Reaction score
My Bionic has the exact same problem as the orginal poster and more (such as static) with my multiple bluetooth headsets, and wired headsets. 4G service is the "BIGGEST" culprit! If I force 3G service or use WIFI only the static goes away. Try it! Shut 4G service off and see for yourself. My second problem is with the wired headsets causeing a high pitched sqeal when the volume is low or in between songs. It is very aggravating! It may be something only certain age group users will hear due to the squeals frequency.

Edit:
I am literally sitting at my desk at work playing with multiple headsets right now forcing 4G on and off with different headsets, and EVERY time I turn 4G on all the problems start. Looks like the 4G module in this phone may not have been shielded well enough. I hate to have to return this phone, I love it. But not being able to stream my favorite music through it sucks.​

Last edited:
OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
Has anyone tried changing sound settings? Maybe this is signal processing noise not hardware.

There really aren't any settings to change regarding sound on the phone besides volume. I have other sound processing options in Poweramp media player but nothing had any effect on the interference noise.

My Bionic has the exact same problem as the orginal poster and more (such as static) with my multiple bluetooth headsets, and wired headsets. 4G service is the "BIGGEST" culprit! If I force 3G service or use WIFI only the static goes away. Try it! Shut 4G service off and see for yourself. My second problem is with the wired headsets causeing a high pitched sqeal when the volume is low or in between songs. It is very aggravating! It may be something only certain age group users will hear due to the squeals frequency.

Edit:
I am literally sitting at my desk at work playing with multiple headsets right now forcing 4G on and off with different headsets, and EVERY time I turn 4G on all the problems start. Looks like the 4G module in this phone may not have been shielded well enough. I hate to have to return this phone, I love it. But not being able to stream my favorite music through it sucks.​

Mine does it even if the phone is in airplane mode. Sounds like your phone has a different issue and you should probably bring it to a verizon store to check it out

johnny_waz

Reaction score
I agree, I get the SQUEAL no matter what, even in aiplane mode. But not the STATIC. The static is strictly related to 4G service from what I can tell. I can get the SQUEAL and STATIC (4G off for static problem) to go away with my BOSE quiet comfort headset. But they are not convinent to use all the time.

Last edited:

brianlayman

Reaction score
Ugh... This phone was just about as perfect as a phone could get without a keyboard....

I have the sound too.

Well shoot... I use the phone to listen to books all the time. The only reason I haven't tested till now is that I was finishing the last book using my original droid because I was too lazy too switch over.

BTW The 4g makes my speakers buzz from two feet away. The squeal does seem to vary somewhat. That is consistent with some kind of radio interference.

Can people hear this when you are having a phone conversation over earbuds?

pedromartinez

Reaction score
Ugh... This phone was just about as perfect as a phone could get without a keyboard....

I have the sound too.

Well shoot... I use the phone to listen to books all the time. The only reason I haven't tested till now is that I was finishing the last book using my original droid because I was too lazy too switch over.

BTW The 4g makes my speakers buzz from two feet away. The squeal does seem to vary somewhat. That is consistent with some kind of radio interference.

Can people hear this when you are having a phone conversation over earbuds?

Yes, two hour conference call with earbuds on. The squeal ended up driving me mad.

jakemize

Reaction score
I've listened to audiobooks, Google music and Pandora. I've used 2 different sets of headphones, had it plugged into speakers and running thru the car stereo. I've done this thru 3G, 4G and WiFi and neither I nor any with me have heard the slightest bit of squealing or whining. Am I just lucky here?

Very odd.

pedromartinez

Reaction score
I've listened to audiobooks, Google music and Pandora. I've used 2 different sets of headphones, had it plugged into speakers and running thru the car stereo. I've done this thru 3G, 4G and WiFi and neither I nor any with me have heard the slightest bit of squealing or whining. Am I just lucky here?

Very odd.

To be honest, I don't think this is a device wide problem. I think it may be a subset of the Bionics with this problem. Because there are just as many people who do not have a problem compared to people who do have the problem. It's either that or some people can hear a higher frequency range. I do know I'm going to get mine replaced.

iCello

Reaction score
I have this problem too, but with a Droid X

I also have this problem, but with a Droid X not a Bionic. And it's more static than a whine. Interestingly, it only happens with both of my pairs of earbuds, not with my headphones.

OriginOfHysteria

Reaction score
Tried it out, and I listened to Pandora (which sounds phenomenal on this phone btw) and a radio app, and I heard no whining what so ever through all my volume levels. Definitely just sounds like a bad batch of phones. Maybe you can see if you can replace it?

billyjoeraybob

Reaction score
I personally don't have the squeal problem, but have any of you that do tweaked the speaker and sound settings? go to settings => sound => media audio effects..... There are settings for the phone speaker and headphones. Just curious.