headphone jack

Troy

Reaction score
Dats cuz you need docta dre's beatz headphones, yo.

Jaylor

Reaction score
I just tried to see if I have the left headphone issue and I don't. The sound is the same from both headphones at full volume... and it feels like it is going to blow out my eardrums.

I tried this with several David Guetta and Black Eyed Peas songs that are full of base so, I'm not terribly worried about it.

Besides, 100% volume is way to loud to listen to in headphones! If you're not deaf all ready you will be soon.

Granted, it does sound like the sound is a bit off period but everything device and stereo system I've ever used sounds off (EVEN iPod!) at full volume.

As for a sound problem with a car(or other connected device? You're not supposed to turn the devices volume all the way up period. You will have distortion even if you have your car stereo turned way down. Everything I've ever heard suggests doing either of the following.

1) Adjust your source device to 75% volume and then adjust the volumne with the connected device.. (Car, stereo whatever)

2) Set your connected device to 50% and adjust with the source device

Big Cam

Reaction score
first, the sound shouldn't be cutting out from one channel. period. if it is doing that, it is broken. second, MOST devices do not push enough power to headphones/speakers to keep them from distorting at volume. just about everything distorts at max, especially if you are using quality headphones/speakers and no amp. this is not my "portable rig", but i do carry an amp sometimes.

amp002.jpg

amp003.jpg

i HIGHLY recommend getting one if you are interested in better sound quality. you can spend anywhere from $5 to well over $1,000 for an amp, and even the cheap ones make a HUGE difference. your bass will not fade and your highs will hurt you (if you aren't careful)! PM me for questions about sound quality or whatever, and if there is enough interest i'll start a thread.

*edit* holy crap those pics are terrible..

Sam is totally correct. I have yet to find a portable music player that does not clip the audio signal (distort) when the internal amplifier is overdriven. EVERY iPod or other player I have ever used will distort the headphone output when the volume it turned up too loud- especially if the source material is recorded at a higher level or if an equalizer setting is used (which adds gain to chosen frequencies, especially low frequencies which are less efficient and require more amplifier power to recreate). The advantage of an iPod is that you do not have to use the crappy built-in headphone amplifier to listen to music. You can use the dock connector with a cord which will bypass the internal amp and provide an unclipped and fixed level output signal which is great for connecting to your car or home stereo.

In any case, it IS NORMAL to hear some kind of distortion at max volume on any portable media device.
Well this isn't true. My first gen ipod nano and my current Blackberry Curve do not distort at all with any song, and I've downloaded good versions and crappy versions of songs, and nether have ever done this.

JohnDa

Reaction score
While one problem is the crackle at 100% volume, a significant other problem that causes the same "crackle" is a loose headphone jack. Unfortunately, I have this latter problem and it happens at all volume settings. If I twist the headphones or move them is a particular way, one channel will cut out, the headphones will crackle, or sometimes the music will cut out all together. It does this will multiple sets of headphones, so it is clearly an issue with the jack.

fatasian

Reaction score
just 'chatted' with motorola.
the jack should not wiggle by design. i am taking mine back to best buy tonight.

Message.gif
Marcelo M.: Hi, my name is Marcelo M.. How may I help you?
Message.gif
deven wilson: Hi I purchased a droid last sunday
Message.gif
deven wilson: i am noticing that the headphone jack has a lot of play in it
Message.gif
deven wilson: it wiggles.
Message.gif
deven wilson: is this by design? it seems this is screaming short out later
Message.gif
deven wilson: are you there?
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: I am sorry to hear that
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: What kind of Headset are you using
Message.gif
deven wilson: Sony.. does it matter though?
Message.gif
deven wilson: any headset will have the same issue
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: But is it a 3.5 Headset?
Message.gif
deven wilson: ?
Message.gif
deven wilson: just goggled, yes.. it the same headphones i used on my ipod
Message.gif
deven wilson: the fit between the jack and the plug is not the issue.
Message.gif
deven wilson: it the way the plug attaches internally to the phone
Message.gif
deven wilson: it's very unsettling to say the least
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: I understand
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: When did you buy the phone?
Message.gif
deven wilson: 12.6.2009
Message.gif
deven wilson: it's been like this since i bought it. i only became concerned after reading that some folks have had the jack short out on them
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: I understand
Message.gif
deven wilson: when i put the plug into the jack it drops down into the phone a millimeter or so, and vice versa when i pull it out
Message.gif
deven wilson: there's probably a mm in play laterally as well
Message.gif
deven wilson: again if this is by design, i will just say this IM session and carry on, but it does seem to be a flaw
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: Regarding your concern, please note that Motorola stands behind our products by offering a minimum one-year warranty issued from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover physical or liquid damage and is applicable to all the phones that were manufactured for the US market. If your phone is outside of the warranty period, Motorola's National Service Center charges a $75 flat rate repair fee. This price does not include shipping or your local taxes. All repairs done on out of warranty units include an additional 90 day warranty.

You may prefer to check with your carrier for insurance, replacement or exchange programs available with your plan or monthly fee. You may also send the unit directly to Motorola where our technicians will make any necessary repair to ensure a properly functioning unit. Our turnaround time at our National Service Center is 6-7 business days since we receive the unit at our facility. If the phone is determined to have suffered physical or liquid damage, it will be shipped back to you unrepaired.

Please send the unit to the address below:

MOTOROLA CONSUMER REPAIR
5700 S. INTERNATIONAL PKWY SUITE A
Dock #19
MCALLEN, TX 78503

Please visit the link below to enter your phone's information before shipping it to us:

Hyperlink.gif
http://www.motorola.com/iden/support

Our online service simplifies servicing your phone and getting it back to you in a few easy steps:

1_Create an Account or Login with your User ID and Password

You will need to register to get a secure user id and password. Click on the account registration link. Once you register, your new user id and password will be sent to your email. Please return to the Support Login section of the website and log in.

2_Select Option A under Submit My Phone For Repair.

3_Verify the warranty on your phone and the appropriate repair options in the Motorola Unit Search Form. You need to enter the serial number of your cellular phone and click on Search. For instructions about how to find this information please visit the following link:

Hyperlink.gif
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/nss/How_Do_I_Find_IMEI.html

4_ After identifying the correct repair option, please submit your unit for repair.

5_Click on New Request to start the pre-login of the unit in our system.

Remember to include: a copy of your proof of purchase, a note describing the phone's problem, the service provider and phone number for the cellular phone you are sending and your personal information (complete shipping address and daytime phone number). Remember also to remove the battery, battery cover and SIM card before shipping it.

Motorola will always make every effort to retrieve data and transfer it to a new phone if your phone is not repairable. However, we recommend that you back up all your data and software if you have this functionality. This backup should include any personal information stored on your device such as your contact lists and software applications provided by a third-party. We recommend doing this prior to sending the unit in for repair, as this information may be erased during the repair process. Some local dealers or Service Shops have the capability to back up your data as well.
Message.gif
deven wilson: That's good info, but doesn't address the main question.
Message.gif
deven wilson: i can take the phone back to best buy at this point for replacement, but don't want to do that if you are telling me this is the way the phone was designed.
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: It should not jiggle around as you described
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: So, you can have the phone exchanged then at Best buy
Message.gif
deven wilson: that's what i was thinking. i will take it back. thanks for you help
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: You are welcome
Message.gif
Marcelo M.: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!

forthesakeof

Reaction score
Dats cuz you need docta dre's beatz headphones, yo.

i'm almost certain this was a sarcastic statement, but.. i use beats by dre. i'm having the same problem - the crackle - and it happens at all volumes. hard reset didnt do anything, and neither did the update last month... judging by the past posts i'm assuming that the fact that the beats amplify bass is the problem. but, they have the same crackle on my ipod, where they didn't used to (or maybe im imagining it?!). then again, my droid's jack is also loose. so i don't know what to attribute the crackling to.

drewshaver

Reaction score
My jack has some wiggle also, it kind of seems like it never goes all the way in, and it is never securely in there. I think the plastic casing above the 3.5 plug is contacting the droid before it is fully in there, so i'm going to try one with less plasitc.

forthesakeof

Reaction score
My jack has some wiggle also, it kind of seems like it never goes all the way in, and it is never securely in there. I think the plastic casing above the 3.5 plug is contacting the droid before it is fully in there, so i'm going to try one with less plasitc.

i'm getting that feeling as well. someone on another forum actually suggested to use a dental pick to pull the contact up ever so slightly if we want to for good measure, but i haven't tried yet

Shooshi

Reaction score
I'm pretty disappointed with my droid because of the same issue with the headphone jack. I use my droid at work and I occasionally squat down to grab something from a lower shelf. My first droid I had, started to develop static whenever I sat down or squat down. I keep my phone in my front right pocket fyi. The sound got worse and the slightest touch to the port made the audio from left side drop or there was a huge amount of static. I got it replaced with a brand new one since I was still in my 30 days. The second Droid I got was great until just a week ago I noticed some static. I was hoping I was just paranoid, but clearly that wasn't it. Basically, my phone has the same problem again and I'm out of the 30 days. Is it just me or is the headphone jack ridiculously fragile? I use to have an i760 that I used for work also for over 2 years and nothing like this ever happen. Any suggestion on what I should do?

volando

Reaction score
As stated earlier in the thread - mine only does that horrible static with some plugs, especially the cheap 3.5mm -> RCA adapters i got from monoprice (an amazing site, i'm not dissing it)... No problems at all with headphones themselves or with a higher-quality belkin adapter I now use in the car.

The problem is that the port on the droid is juuuust slightly too big, so you have to try out a few plugs to get a good coupling.

Shooshi

Reaction score
As stated earlier in the thread - mine only does that horrible static with some plugs, especially the cheap 3.5mm -> RCA adapters i got from monoprice (an amazing site, i'm not dissing it)... No problems at all with headphones themselves or with a higher-quality belkin adapter I now use in the car.

The problem is that the port on the droid is juuuust slightly too big, so you have to try out a few plugs to get a good coupling.

When I use the aux port in my car it works great because I don't have to touch the port and leave it docked. Any recommendations on headphones that work well with the Droid? I've used three so far and they all seem to give me that problem (razer m100, sony in-earbuds, motorola eh20 in earbud+mic)

oscarzacosta

Reaction score
so does anybody know what the break out is from the audio output jack? I'd love to build a jack that allows me to plug in a better mic or a guitar tuner or a mixing console.

I'm assuming that one of the three hot jacks on the 3.5" input connector is the input.

and does anybody know if using it interrupts the onboard mic?

navdoc1110

Reaction score
i have also noticed alot of static when charging in the car and the charge is almost full.....when i remove the charging cable...all the static dissapears....strange