Test your headphone jack!!

PhontomF

Reaction score
I have just discovered a major problem with my phone. There is a nasty whine when using headphones while either listening to music or watching video. I found many others complaining about this issue on other forums. Test it out just put on some headphones and play music or video with the media volume turned down all the way, pause the media and the whine will stop a few seconds later. This is a deal breaker for me I will return the phone if this can't be fixed with software as I listen to a lot of media through headphones everyday. I can't believe this could get through quality testing!

**UPDATE 10/27**

I can confirm that this fix makes the headphone noise go away completely 100%.
Want a perfect Bionic? Can't Wait For The Update? Here's How..

I did the manual flash method from .886 ---> 893 described here:
Droid Bionic Found Update Files --- Read Before You Flash

If you attempt this make sure you unfreeze/restore any bloat and do the permanent root method described in the first link or you will lose root after the update.

Good job moto my Bionic is now perfect!!! I'm still surprised this was completely resolved with software.

Last edited:

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear what you're describing. It's not very noticeable to me though, unless I turn the volume all the way down and wait like you said. Then when the whine ends I can tell it was there.

As long as the volume is at a reasonable level I don't notice it at all. Definitely shouldn't be there though.

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
Well it's much more noticeable if your watching a movie or tv show and there are quiet sections, the whine sticks out like a sore thumb. I read if you get some headphones with an inline volume control you can make it a lot less annoying so maybe I'll try that. I really don't want to give up this awesome phone for such a stupid issue.

scdown

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear what you're describing. It's not very noticeable to me though, unless I turn the volume all the way down and wait like you said. Then when the whine ends I can tell it was there.

As long as the volume is at a reasonable level I don't notice it at all. Definitely shouldn't be there though.

Same here. Sometimes adjusting the volume up or down two clicks kills it, sometimes not. I hear it in quiet intro passages as well.

endobrian

Reaction score
They will have to patch this. I'm hearing the headphone whine as well.

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
That's my concern I don't think this will be a software fix. Sounds like a ground loop issue to me which would require a hardware fix. I hope it can be patched though.

JimmyGT

Reaction score
Same problem here. This sucks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pedromartinez

Reaction score
I noticed the same problem. I was thinking about returning the phone. I had this problem on my HTC Incredible, but when I got the Droid 3 it was silent (the problem was gone). So I'm assuming these both being the Motorola phones that they would be the same build quality. But yes, I hate this whine. The problem is, whenever you plug this into an AUX you will here a high pitched whine -- whether its headphones, your car, or playing Pandora or Spotify over a sound system. The problem isn't apparent unless audio is playing. i.e. a click sound or audio in general. The audio is complete turned off when no audio is playing so you wont hear the problem.

bill1253

Reaction score
I got the same issue. I plugged an attenuator inline and it cleaned up the noise.

DRILLINDK

Reaction score
I can here it, but just barely in between songs. I can live with it.

82DMC12

Reaction score
I hear it too. Totally uncool. I don't think it will cause me to return the phone though. I don't use the headphones all that much except in the car when road noise covered it up and I didn't notice it until reading this thread. I agree it is a hardware problem and I doubt software will fix this. The different wired sound settings under setting do not help the problem either.