Terrible battery status reporting

xeddam

Reaction score
My Droid x reported 30% then within a few minutes of video watching it reported 5%. One minute later it shutdown. Normally 30% to 0% is quite a bit longer than several minutes. Is this a known issue?

I use juice defender on default. On juice plotter the battery shows an extremely sick decline to 0% from 30%.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jsw6380a

Reaction score
That does seem a little dramatic. Were you on 3g when you were downloading or were you on wifi? Also, Is the phone stock? Has the battery been bad for a while? How old is the phone/battery?

OP
X

xeddam

Reaction score
The phone is rooted but no ROM. I had 3G enabled, no wifi.

The phone is a few weeks old and I have not noticed poor battery performance. This is the first time I have noticed something like this.

The phone does get a lot of use... 3 full charges a day on average.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jsw6380a

Reaction score
The phone is rooted but no ROM. I had 3G enabled, no wifi.

The phone is a few weeks old and I have not noticed poor battery performance. This is the first time I have noticed something like this.

The phone does get a lot of use... 3 full charges a day on average.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Wow! You are burning that thing up.. If you are using it that much I might look into getting an extended battery. If it were at 30% it could have been on the low end of it.... Also downloading from 3g takes much more battery than wifi. I don't think I would call it a bug unless it continually goes from like 50% to zero. In the meantime I would try an extended battery.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
I would also try undervolting it. That might help your battery out a little bit. Also check your notification settings and see how often stuff is updating.. Ie. Twitter, email, weather etc. If they are set for anything less than an hour you will have issues like you are having... ESPECIALLY twitter. I have had mine for a while and I have never had to charge it twice in a day.. I can go a 14 hour day and still have about 40% with moderate use.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think about getting a new battery period. You say your rooted but have you used the advantage of root to freeze or rename some unused apps? Could help dramatically in you battery life. I have never even needed to throw my DX on a charger until an hour before I get ready to crash.

If your gonna stay rooted or do anything else with your device you could install Bootstrap, boot into Clockwork and wipe your battery stats to see if you get same results. Just keep it on charger all night and unplug right before you do so. Just an idea.

And I am a strong believer that over/underclocking isn't needed. Same thing with "battery saver" apps. Just another app running :)

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\

OP
X

xeddam

Reaction score
I was able to play in tiger snes with full screen brightness with sound on for about 3 hrs. Battery went from 100% to 20% and I plugged it back in. Would that be a normal drain? 3g and sync were on.

Thanks for all the advice. I will check into the suggestions and report back.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was able to play in tiger snes with full screen brightness with sound on for about 3 hrs. Battery went from 100% to 20% and I plugged it back in. Would that be a normal drain? 3g and sync were on.

Do you really need your screen brightness on all the way? I have mine set at 10%. Now I'm just like the next guy when it's brighter it looks cool, but I see mine just fine at 10%. And I would guess yea, that sounds about right. If you have 3G, sync, your playing, sound, brightness on FULL and other things running in the background....your battery is gonna go.

Now I have the BH6X 1930mAh extended from Verizon. It's not that big of a batt, helps a little. I can play Angry Birds all day long, sitting it down, picking it back up, looking at forums and everything else and barely hit 50-60%. But I have 20 apps frozen and/or apk's renamed. I also have my brightness a 10% and am running a pretty slick ROM that works well with my phone.

Just something to think about.

OP
X

xeddam

Reaction score

Do you really need your screen brightness on all the way? I have mine set at 10%. Now I'm just like the next guy when it's brighter it looks cool, but I see mine just fine at 10%. And I would guess yea, that sounds about right. If you have 3G, sync, your playing, sound, brightness on FULL and other things running in the background....your battery is gonna go.

Now I have the BH6X 1930mAh extended from Verizon. It's not that big of a batt, helps a little. I can play Angry Birds all day long, sitting it down, picking it back up, looking at forums and everything else and barely hit 50-60%. But I have 20 apps frozen and/or apk's renamed. I also have my brightness a 10% and am running a pretty slick ROM that works well with my phone.

Just something to think about.

Unfortunately, yes I do have to use my phone on full brightness. I am outside in a truck in the middle of desert with polarized such glasses on. The screen is just viewable at 50ish, but my 100 is probably close to an indoor 10.

I got root explorer today to rename some bloatware so we will see of that has a good effect on the life.

OP
X

xeddam

Reaction score
Chkmate,

I agree task killers are not needed but you don't think its good idea to turn off data services at certain times extra like juice defender does automatically?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Chkmate,

I agree task killers are not needed but you don't think its good idea to turn off data services at certain times extra like juice defender does automatically?

What I have running is very, very limited. If im not using maps and navigation I have it frozen. Same thing goes for everything else. I don't run wifi my browser is plenty quick enough with 3G. I don't have data running constantly because I don't have things syncing constantly. Facebook, I only turn on when I want to check it, same with Twitter. When im sleeping my phone is off or in airplane mode, so therefore no data.

Now your situation is obviously different. Such as the brightness. That completely makes sense now. Same with searching for service. I don't know if 3G works all the time for you or if you have to use wifi in order operate sometimes. And some swear by Juice defender and other apps. ImI'm not saying they don't work. I'm. Just saying I get excellent battery life on my setup.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\