Tell me why I should root my Droid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

solorca

Reaction score
So, I see a lot of people talking about rooting their Droid, but I haven't seen a lot of mention about what it actually does, or the effects that it has. I have a few questions that I would love to have answered if you guys have the time.

I would also love to hear about the benefits that the rooting gives to the average user.

Questions...

1. I have heard that you can revert back to the pre-rooted state. Is this simply saved on the SD card? Can Verizon/Motorola tell if this has been done previously, for insurance/warranty reasons?

2. What does overclocking actually do? If I overclock from the stock settings to say 800mhz, what will I actually gain from it? Speed?

3, What are the negatives of rooting the Droid? Does it do any harm?

4. Does rooting affect your ability to do anything that you can currently do on the Droid? For instance, does it harm some widgets, programs, etc?

5. How badly does the rooting/overclocking affect the battery life?

Any other information that you guys can add would be great. Just trying to make the right decision!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you need someone to tell you that you should root your droid, then rooting is probably not for you.

OP
S

solorca

Reaction score
If you need someone to tell you that you should root your droid, then rooting is probably not for you.

I'm really just looking for info on the benefits/negatives of doing so. It seems like a faily easy process. I'm not worried about doing it incorrecty, just wanting to know about what the average person uses a rooyed droid for.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hello solorca Stupid Genius provided a couple good links where this discussion is ongoing.

I'm going to close this one up.

Please feel free to participate in one or both those threads.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.