I've Decided to Root, But..

michaelearth

Reaction score
After hearing about how the Droid can now be Overclocked to 1ghz, it has given me a reason to finally root my Motorola Droid. But the problem is that I I have no knowledge in the area of rooting. But im not computer illiterate. So I need your guys help with the following questions:

1. How to I Root my droid. Is there a step by step guide?
  2. After its rooted, how do I overclock it to 800mhz and than set the cpu to lower the speed when asleep and during other various tasks?
  3. Can I switch back from rooting and go back to stock android?
  4. If I were to get in a situation where I needed a replacement from Verizon, could I just switch back to stock Android and they would not be able to tell that it was rooted so that my warrant is still intact?
Thanks

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
After hearing about how the Droid can now be Overclocked to 1ghz, it has given me a reason to finally root my Motorola Droid. But the problem is that I I have no knowledge in the area of rooting. But im not computer illiterate. So I need your guys help with the following questions:

1. How to I Root my droid. Is there a step by step guide?
  2. After its rooted, how do I overclock it to 800mhz and than set the cpu to lower the speed when asleep and during other various tasks?
  3. Can I switch back from rooting and go back to stock android?
  4. If I were to get in a situation where I needed a replacement from Verizon, could I just switch back to stock Android and they would not be able to tell that it was rooted so that my warrant is still intact?
Thanks
1. heres the youtube vid and forum i used works great and easy if you follow steps just ignore the 2,1 thing.

[video=youtube;3Qec_HFusbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qec_HFusbA&feature=channel[/video]

How to root and install droid 2.1 - Android Forums

2. idk.

3. yes its in the forum link i provided.

4. im not sure yet but i think if you go back to the original software verizon wont know but i dont know

OP
M

michaelearth

Reaction score
Ok I followed the steps to rooting my droid and I'm not sure If I have successfully rooted. I have superuser permissions in my app drawer but when I try to access my recovery menu instead of going straight to it, it takes me back the the triangle withe ! in it. Does it have anything to do with that right before I pressed update in the recovery menu it said " E:Cant' open/cache/recovery/command"

Someone please help me!

Thanks

wil318466

Reaction score
Ok I followed the steps to rooting my droid and I'm not sure If I have successfully rooted. I have superuser permissions in my app drawer but when I try to access my recovery menu instead of going straight to it, it takes me back the the triangle withe ! in it. Does it have anything to do with that right before I pressed update in the recovery menu it said " E:Cant' open/cache/recovery/command"

Someone please help me!

Thanks

No, it doesn't have anything to do with that line.

I've rooted my Droid, I've installed SDK on my computer, I've installed ROMs (just did it tonight, and it took me 3 hours playing with it) and uninstalled it right away.

SetCPU is the App that allows you to change the MHZ setting. I, too, wanted to get to 800 Mhz. You need root, a modified rom, and setCPU. The problem is I didn't like the ROM. I liked the way my setup was, so I said screw it and went back to the normal settings.

I'm no expert. Its a pain in the butt to do, and I constantly forget how I did something previously (because I don't do it very often, I just have to struggle through it).

The guides are NOT easy to follow, except for ONE, and that is the Noob challenge! guide. I can honestly say its very easy to follow.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

I'm warning you, though. I'm not computer illiterate at all. I was a CIS major for a while. I'm the tech guy for all my friends. Rooting and installing SDK and all the other stuff involved, in the end, just wasn't worth it. I didn't get as much satisfaction over the hacks. There are some usefull ones, I suppose (Wifi tethering, if you need it, and the transparent window shade is really nice), but be prepared to invest a LOT of time figuring this stuff out. When I say a lot, I want to say 3-4 hours for this guide, maybe longer.

I probably have spent at LEAST 20 hours total doing all this stuff. honestly, the SDK portion drove me crazy, and the research I had to do for every little hiccup was infuriating. Not knowing I had to be in USB debug mode wasted 3 hours of my life.

Good luck.

-Wil

Last edited:
OP
M

michaelearth

Reaction score
I am now running 2.1 on my Moto Droid, (thanks to this guide: http://androidforums.com/how-tips/29204 ... 2-1-a.html)

Now i want to overclock my droid. How I do that? I heard I can just flash a new rom that is already overclocked to a specific speed and then from inside that rom I can set profiles using setcpu. IS that correct?

Thanks

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I am now running 2.1 on my Moto Droid, (thanks to this guide: http://androidforums.com/how-tips/29204 ... 2-1-a.html)

Now i want to overclock my droid. How I do that? I heard I can just flash a new rom that is already overclocked to a specific speed and then from inside that rom I can set profiles using setcpu. IS that correct?

Thanks

Check in the Hacks forum. That has all the info on rooting, using custom roms, overclocking, and all kinds of other strange and wonderful things.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah man there are TONS of tutorials on all this stuff your asking about right here in this forum as well as over at alldroid forums. And no, it should not take you 3 hours to do any of this stuff...it should not that long at all actually even if you do have to read all the steps in the guides...its not rocket science, I mean some things really do require some intensive concentration if you are new to this, but as long as you do exactly what the instructions say, and make sure you understand the vocabulary being used you shouldn't have many, if any at all, problems...

acturbo

Reaction score
Easiest way IMO to get what you want would be to follow the steps in this thread:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

But instead of installing the Sholes ROM install the Bugless Beast available here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...beast-800mhz-wifi-v0-7-1-1-26-10-awesome.html
which automatically overclocks you to 800 Mhz. Not only that but it also run very smoothly best ROM I have used yet. Then install SetCPU from the market so you can set your CPU speed based on Sleep/Charging/Usage cycles so its not always running at 800 so you don't kill your phone.

It fairly simple, shoot me a PM if you have any questions or just ask in the appropriate thread and I'm sure someone could help you out if you need it.

Last edited:

Arachnyd

Reaction score
I've spent a not insignificant chunk of the day reading up on rooting for the exact same reason as the OP - I want to be able to overclock my droid. I haven't yet decided if it is worth it to go to all of the trouble of installing an entirely new rom, I mainly would just like some extra speed to run the 2.1 launcher smoothly.

My questions are:

1. Is is significantly easier/safer to simply flash an OCable kernel rather than installing an entire new ROM to allow me to overclock, and if so, how do I go about it.

2. If I did the above, am I right in assuming that I would need to rollback to stock in order to take the 2.1 OTA, or will the overclock continue working.

wil318466

Reaction score
Yeah man there are TONS of tutorials on all this stuff your asking about right here in this forum as well as over at alldroid forums. And no, it should not take you 3 hours to do any of this stuff...it should not that long at all actually even if you do have to read all the steps in the guides...its not rocket science, I mean some things really do require some intensive concentration if you are new to this, but as long as you do exactly what the instructions say, and make sure you understand the vocabulary being used you shouldn't have many, if any at all, problems...

Sorry man, I have to disagree with you. I'm no dummy, but I had real trouble with a lot of the steps. The problem is that some people write instructions with the "feel" that the person who is reading them has an idea of what they are doing, or least knows a little of what is going on. Its completely understandable, we all do it.

I've read comments that some people spent 30+, 40+ hours working on things. You are right, its not rocket science, but its no cakewalk if you have never dealt with any of this stuff before.

The tons of instructions out there can also be a negative, as its downright confusing sometimes.

Or, maybe I'm just dumb.

-Wil

wil318466

Reaction score
I've spent a not insignificant chunk of the day reading up on rooting for the exact same reason as the OP - I want to be able to overclock my droid. I haven't yet decided if it is worth it to go to all of the trouble of installing an entirely new rom, I mainly would just like some extra speed to run the 2.1 launcher smoothly.

My questions are:

1. Is is significantly easier/safer to simply flash an OCable kernel rather than installing an entire new ROM to allow me to overclock, and if so, how do I go about it.

2. If I did the above, am I right in assuming that I would need to rollback to stock in order to take the 2.1 OTA, or will the overclock continue working.

1. - I think the entire process is safe. The phone rocks at 800 mhz, and its pretty stable. In fact, I'm getting better battery life, but I think that may be due to the fact that i have the minimum set at 125 instead of the default 250. I did get a weird force close or two early (but not lately). I highly recommend you try it.

2. I'm not sure what you are asking here. Do you need to roll back to get the 2.1 OTA update? I don't think so, but you will probably lose root, so you might have to do this overclock process again.

-Wil

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted

My questions are:

1. Yes, there is a significantly easier way to install the OC kernel, but there are a few things need to be done first. There's some good readable guides to be had without having to sort through some of the threads about to glean the info, I'm going to add the 'easy' way to OC tonite.

2. As far as what is known right now, using SPR 0.99.2b, you will be presented with a 'choice' as to whether to accept the 2.1 OTA, however also as known right now, said OTA will break root, custom recovery, and OC, etc. as the latter two depend upon the former one. And the 2.1 OTA is rumored to break root.

good luck