TBolt contract terms

sir2545

Reaction score
Per a sales associate and the manager at my corporate store the 4G will not change through the contract. Additionally they confirmed that as long as you didn't change the data plan you would be grandfathers when getting a new subsidized phone as well. I know its not the same as in writing but a guy can hope in trust and a man's word right ? By the way this was after I had already gotten the phone so they didn't have anything to gain by telling me this.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

I'm pretty sure this is correct, because I just recently updated my aircard and still have unlimited data on it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
And you know this how? If its not in a contract (which we now know its not), they can do whatever they want...
Big Ry, you are over thinking this....

If you get the TB and add it to your current plan with the unlimited data, you will be "grandfathered" in if the data tiered pricing takes effect. As soon as the tiered data pricing starts, if you upgrade your equipment the next time, then you will be forced into a tiered data plan. If you get the TB you will be fine. How do I know this? I worked for VZW in a call center for several years and still have VZW friends who confirmed this for me.

Ah, yes the whole being grandfathered in thing was definitely a selling point for me, which is why I was the first to buy it from my local store. I can't find a thing wrong with this bad boy and my unlimited 4G data pricing is locked in at unlimited 3G pricing, you can loose there. But the grandfathered in pricing applies as long as you don't change the data plan for that specific line, you can change your individual or family plan as a whole as long as you don't alter the data plan linked to that line.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
LOL i think of the ppl with the TB as beta testers cuz well thats what they are.. verizon will get plenty of money come the new pricing structure no need to piss ppl off and have ppl switch carriers over 10 bucks a month or tiered data.. well thats how i c it anyway

Hey I don't have no problem being a beta tester for those waiting to see how everything pans out. I bought the D1 on opening day Nov 6, 2009 and I was wowed because it was my first smartphone ever. I bought the TB on March 17 and I can say without hesistation that I've been wow again because this phone is leaps and bounds above my rooted D1 as my rooted D1 was to my dumb phone. Tiered pricing could come before the Bionic.

tenacious bee

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the tiered pricing is going to be? The trend has been towards better pricing on new data plans. BB users can now opt for a 15Omb plan for fifteen dollars. This was done for BB users that use their devices for mainly email . If they go over another 150mb tier is added as opposed to the potentially expensive 1.99 per MB overage rate. Also ,feature phone users used to pay 9.99 dollars for 25mb's with a 1.99 overage fee. Now for a penny more they get 75mb's with the same advantage of adding another tier if they go over.
Another example and maybe the most telling is the usb modem data plan pricing. Currently a 5G 3G plan costs ten more dollars than a 5G lte plan.

Use your myverizon usage details and check your MB usage. If you are around the 3G mark or less don't be so sure that tiered pricing is going to be a bad thing.

So far the "grandfathered " data plans are getting smoked by the new ones.

Data is the new battle ground amongst providers. When voice usage was the bone of contention tiered pricing packages aka "calling plans" were introduced and rates fell.

I didn't stay @ a holliday inn last night but I do work @ a VZW call center .

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

If you get the TB and add it to your current plan with the unlimited data, you will be "grandfathered" in if the data tiered pricing takes effect. As soon as the tiered data pricing starts, if you upgrade your equipment the next time, then you will be forced into a tiered data plan. If you get the TB you will be fine. How do I know this? I worked for VZW in a call center for several years and still have VZW friends who confirmed this for me.
yea srry i cant explane it better but if u have unlimited data they cant be like hey its may now so ur on teired data now and they also cant make u pay for it
Well my credit card company cant change the terms of the interest rate without telling me...thats why i get notices in the mail ever once in a while that says the terms have changed and i can opt in or opt out. VZW could easily do the same. Theres nothing legally wrong with them sending a notice to the customers that says "We've changed the 4G data plans; switch or drop data".

They can't exactly take back the phone if you choose the latter option. When you sign a contract for a smartphone, you won't ever see pricing included in the contract because we are free to change plans whenever we like. I've been with VZW for roughly 10 years now and I can say that the only time my plan pricing changed was I decided to alter my plans and VZW had changed the plan pricing structure for the new plan that I wanted to switch to.

cullenisprime

Reaction score
And you know this how? If its not in a contract (which we now know its not), they can do whatever they want...

what about if you get the Thunderbolt now... with the unlimited 4g.... but say down the road you buy a phone off ebay and activate it on your line... will you still keep the unlimited 4g?

if you can i will buy a dual core 4G phone when they come out.. at full retail off contract price..just to keep the unlimited 4G.

slinky

Reaction score
I would NEVER rely on any "grandfathering" clause... period. VZW will change the prices if and when it wants to when your contract is over if they need to make their bottom line. And when the last bits of effect of the bailout wear off, you bet they will. If the contract is over... it's over. Each party is free to do what they want, month to month termination.

That said, I highly doubt they will change the terms of your data plan cost during the period of your contract, even if it is "separate" from your voice plan technically. This is because a data plan is required and too many believe that that cost is tied into the contract and probably should be. How can you sign on for a 2 year plan plus data if VZW may change the data cost 100%? Draft what you want, there will be problems - I doubt that will change.

I still went for the one year contract. If my month to month works afterwards for the same price, great, I'll keep it there. Cost for me at 1 year was too good not to pass up where I can trade up phones if I want. But that may not be what works for you.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

what about if you get the Thunderbolt now... with the unlimited 4g.... but say down the road you buy a phone off ebay and activate it on your line... will you still keep the unlimited 4g?

if you can i will buy a dual core 4G phone when they come out.. at full retail off contract price..just to keep the unlimited 4G.
Back in November 2008 (I believe is when it was), VZW said that as of that date (November 15, 2008?) any new device manufactured and sold from that date forward would require a data plan. Before that date people had the option of blocking data on their smartphones. If you get the TB, you're grandfathered. If you buy a phone off of eBay and it is introduced to VZW on or after the date the upcoming tiered pricing starts, then you will be forced into the new data pricing. If you purchase a phone that was introduced to the VZW network before that date of tiered data, then you should not have to change data plans.